PDA

View Full Version : Should the Bitz order (full range) mail order come back?

weareinalotoftroublebeale
15-05-2008, 22:16
Should the old bitz order service come back?

Or do you like the new bitz service?

If you want to explain the reason why post away.:D

Thanks
Beale,
Next poll in a few days maybe be "How many armies do you have"

Mad Doc Grotsnik
15-05-2008, 22:20
As it was...how many people genuine made decent use of it?

Seemingly, from GWs stand point, not enough. So, they have pulled the range of loose odds and ends, and have reinvented them as bits packs. This makes economic sense for them, and is probably more practical for the vast majority of customers who made use of the bits service.

Certainly, the one and only time I ordered a handful of bits was to test a conversion idea to make Fire Warriors into Vespid 'counts as'. It worked beautifully, but I never did get round to finishing the entire squad.

And now, I am looking at a hefty old spend to do my Wyvern conversion. And in order to cut down on costs, I shall be seeing if any Bitz sites can offer me a Wyvern Head and Tail. If not, I shall be offering them everything for a Wyvern, barring the head and tail.

15-05-2008, 22:22
Mad I know we have talked about and debated heavily about old and new bitz service.

Any recommendation on how to imporve the new existing service?

I will start by saying putting out more bitz packs every month.

Thanks
Beale

Mad Doc Grotsnik
15-05-2008, 22:24
You mean, more or less like they are doing?

It was stated at the time that the Bitz range would grow again. Not that anyone could hear it over the cacophony of anonymous whinging from those who didn't get that it was as much a relaunch as a scrapping.

Crube
15-05-2008, 22:26
I think many people will wish that the old bits service would return. How likely that is, is another topic. It certainly was very convenient for the customer, being able to order the exact component for a conversion, or to get the exact model they required.

The system as is now is a lot less flexible in my mind. I was trying to get (and still am) some components out of the Empire Collectors guide (that I bought a few days before trying), and was told about the new system... was I not happy when I heard that....

Having said that, I can understand where they are coming from. I hate the phrase 'a victim of their own success' but in a way this is what has happenend. When GW were smaller (growing sure, but still smaller) they had the idea of offering bits. and the masses loved it and got used to it. Now the range is consderably larger than ever before, it is genuinely too unwieldy to offer the same service.

Had GW never offered the bits service, this discussion would never be taking place. (rather the recurring discussion would be why don't they... :))

However, they did. They've had to change it, for good or ill. Personally, I'd rather see the bits service as it is now than none at all.

A question related to this, and if we accept that GW have had to make some changes, would you be prepared to return to the state of the miniature ranges as was to get the bits service as was. so no more exceptional shiny new toys since (whenever they made the change)?

My idea (even before they changed) to keep the bits service was to outsource the older stuff to a separate (GW owned) company. Give them the moulds, and the remit to provide older bits / models and make money at it. I'm sure many gamers would be prepared (maybe grudgingly) to pay a little extra (even ontop of GW bits prices) rather than have to buy a complete model, or fo rthat specific component...

Oh and Beale - please say you're joking about the how many armies poll - please no - it's been done to death :)

GraemePaul
15-05-2008, 22:27
I preferred the old Bitz service and if it had not been for a member of these forums I would have had a Great Gargant (second hand mind) without a gun.

However I do understand that the way their old system worked although a bespoke service was inefficent and cumbersome. I just hope in time the new bitz pack service combined with the move to more plastic upgrade sprues will streamline this while giving us as customers most of the options we once had.

15-05-2008, 22:31
You mean, more or less like they are doing?

I am not aware that they are adding bitz packs every month. I seems more like every 3-4 months.

Are they adding more bitz packs every month?

"My idea (even before they changed) to keep the bits service was to outsource the older stuff to a separate (GW owned) company. Give them the moulds, and the remit to provide older bits / models and make money at it. I'm sure many gamers would be prepared (maybe grudgingly) to pay a little extra (even ontop of GW bits prices) rather than have to buy a complete model, or fo rthat specific component..."

@Crube I like this idea. I think it is great.

Oh... I'm not joking ;). Might add something to it that will make it worthwhile.. any suggestion?

Thanks
Beale

Chaos and Evil
15-05-2008, 22:37
Your poll answer is different to your question.

In brief, your question is 'Should the Bitz order range come back?'

Your answer is not 'yes' or 'no' however, your answer is 'I prefer...'

That's what's called a pre-weighted poll.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
15-05-2008, 22:38
Not every month, which is why I used the phrase 'more or less' but the range is being constantly expanded.

And GraemePaul raises a good point I'd quite forgotten about.

With the new plastic kits containing pretty much every you'll want for said squad/unit (with a few exceptions like Lightning Claws before anyone else uses that as ammunition) there is a lot less reason for people to be bitz ordering than before. Now more than ever, it's predominantly for conversion work.

Take my Wyvern I mentioned. I have decided the body and wing will be the High Elf Dragon, with the head and tail of the Wyvern kit, and I think I'll use another Wurrzagg model for the pointing hand, and the Warboss plastic kit for the rest of the idea. Now, this is going to be an expensive centre piece without the bitz service, but it's not as if I have no alternative. It's of my own doing. And like I said, there are those out there capable of supplying bitz, and it's just sods law saying they won't have what I want!

marv335
15-05-2008, 22:39
How about a "should Beale be banned from starting threads?" poll?
;)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
15-05-2008, 22:42
Now, what have we said about weighted polls marv55?

It'd be a bit like a poll saying 'How naughty was Harold Shipman' a)very b)incredibly c)totally d) Send them all back!

Mind you, I expect this to show up in the Daily Mail sooner or later.

Especially option d.

15-05-2008, 22:42
How about a "should Beale be banned from starting threads?" poll?
;)

I think that would be a very bad idea :). No one to inform the punters of the other truth.

Thanks
Beale

reds8n
15-05-2008, 22:46
Hideous bias clearly intended in the options ? Check.

Thread designed to do nothing but aggrevate ? Check.

Oh so predictable answer to the identity of the original poster ? Three for three.

:rolleyes:

Yes, you don't like GW. We understand.

We had updates in April and May, and there are more to come apparently now the computers are being installed in the stores.

Perhaps you could do some other REALLY worthwhile poll, something along the lines of :

1. GW should give stuff away for free and pay us for the parts.

2. The new bitzz service sucks. And GW fund international terrorism and add the names of customers who complain to Santa's naughty list too.

And then claim the results of that as validation of your " thoughts".:rolleyes:

15-05-2008, 22:49
Hideous bias clearly intended in the options ? Check.

Thread designed to do nothing but aggrevate ? Check.

Oh so predictable answer to the identity of the original poster ? Three for three.

:rolleyes:

Yes, you don't like GW. We understand.

We had updates in April and May, and there are more to come apparently now the computers are being installed in the stores.

Perhaps you could do some other REALLY worthwhile poll, something along the lines of :

1. GW should give stuff away for free and pay us for the parts.

2. The new bitzz service sucks. And GW fund international terrorism and add the names of customers who complain to Santa's naughty list too.

And then claim the results of that as validation of your " thoughts".:rolleyes:

Ok chap you need to calm down. I didn't say all what you stated. I asked you to poll and state your reasons why.

Please stay on topic. Instead of sending in the personal attacks which I have grown accustomed to :D.

To sweeten you up I won't claim anything or give an opinion. Let the polsters poll!:p
Thanks
Beale

reds8n
15-05-2008, 23:01
I can assure you that wasn't a personal attack.

More a general comment to the pointlessness and inbuilt bias of your "polls" that despite multiple people pointing out you refuse to acknowledge.

Again.

Rest assured if I ever do make a personal attack then you'll know it. :angel:

Not that I would do or condone such a thing of course as that would be a clear breach of forum rules, and therefore against the rules we've all agreed to when we accept the terms to post here.

Like, for instance, persistent and pointless trolling. :angel:

15-05-2008, 23:10
@Reds8n

ok....

please be on topic and it would be great to hear your view on the bitz order. Old or new.
:)

There is not point in discrediting me or censoring. I am still here:). Noted will keep it civil, thanks

Thanks
Beale

Crube
15-05-2008, 23:15
Gentlemen

Please keep the posting here civil and on topic. This applies to everyone.

Thank you

Crube

The Warseer Inquisition

reds8n
15-05-2008, 23:27
@Reds8n

ok....

please be on topic and it would be great to hear your view on the bitz order. Old or new.

The old bitz service was very useful and a great boon.

It was also uneconomical for a struggling ( any perhaps ?) company to continue to run. So they stopped it.

What more can be said on the subject ? In all honesty ?

15-05-2008, 23:31
The old bitz service was very useful and a great boon.

It was also uneconomical for a struggling ( any perhaps ?) company to continue to run. So they stopped it.

What more can be said on the subject ? In all honesty ?

Hey thanks for the input.

What do you think of the new bitz order. Any recommendation on how you think they might improve if it needs that at all? Or is it doing just fine?

Thanks again
Beale

Templar Ben
16-05-2008, 01:30
Naturally I preferred the old service.

To improve the current bits pack offerings I would like to see the option of ordering a particular sprue. For instance if I want Terminator bodies offer that for $30. I would expect the price of an individual sprue to be the cost of the box divided by number of sprues round up to the next multiple of $5.

I would also like to see weapons packs. Something like a pack of arms and weapons from the Necromunda lines so I can make a militia force with autoguns and hand flamers. I see the market for that including guys wanting to have Lost and the Damned, IG fans wanting to run PDF style forces, and Inq fans wanting to run zealots.

I will think of some more and post those.

Khornies & milk
16-05-2008, 02:06
I loved the old Bitz service and used it all the time, especially when doing my full Deathwatch army. Since its demise and the start-up of their new service, which pales in comparison to the original, I haven't and likely won't buy 1 goddamned thing from them. Instead I've found a vgery good site here in Oz that suits my every need just fine.
Then again I haven't bought anything (other than said Bitz) from GW directly for over 2 years.

16-05-2008, 02:16
@The Templar, your ideas so far are great. Infact they got me excited and I really do hope someone at GW thinks the same as you or takes them on board.

Please come up with more :)!

@Khornies & milk, ah man those were the days. I use to love collecting the old and new range of models and paint them up. You always appreciated a piece of history of GW. For instance with the new Demons I wanted a large selection of characters. I picked up my old chaos collectors guide and looked and all those great mini's they had. Those were the good old days.

Thanks for your input.

Thanks
Beale

wolf40k
16-05-2008, 02:21
From what I have heard fro GW employees is that Direct Services is not Hurting economically but is trying to become a bigger part of the company.
This is why so many things are becoming Direct services only.
They are currently restructuring and could very well start doing Bits orders again.

Or so I heard from the GW area manager. Here to hoping that it does come back:cool:

Templar Ben
16-05-2008, 02:58
@The Templar, your ideas so far are great. Infact they got me excited and I really do hope someone at GW thinks the same as you or takes them on board.

Please come up with more :)!

I will try to think of some good ones for Xenos. See that is what is so tricky with bits packages. It needs to be something that is useful for converters so even though they sell tons of marines you don't see a lot of marine conversions as a percentage. You have to think about the market. You want to have an offering that is going to be used by the widest possible audience and hopefully something that already exists so no new development.

For instance, I would like to see a bits package of bionics. It could have arms and legs that are clearly cybernetic as well as a few heads that are mostly cyber. The limbs could be used by ork players and the entire packages would be useful for any human based player from Iron Warriors to Ad Mech to someone just wanting to make unique retinues. Thing is I don't know if there is an existing source for all of those arms and legs. I think it goes against the business model to try to create new items.

spaint2k
16-05-2008, 06:24
For instance, I would like to see a bits package of bionics. It could have arms and legs that are clearly cybernetic as well as a few heads that are mostly cyber. The limbs could be used by ork players and the entire packages would be useful for any human based player from Iron Warriors to Ad Mech to someone just wanting to make unique retinues. Thing is I don't know if there is an existing source for all of those arms and legs. I think it goes against the business model to try to create new items.

There used to be some excellent bionics for Necromunda, bioniks for the orks (both Gorkamorka and 1st/2nd edition bioniks), and of course the Iron Hands set is still available.

I personally think the Necromunda bionics were quite versatile and would be well worth rereleasing.

Steve

sigur
16-05-2008, 06:34
Of course, the old bitz order used to be a great service but, so I assume, also a big hassle logisticswise. I guess that GW don't have to have as many Trolls any more, less problems with shipping tiny amounts of stuff from A to B, less postage fees, etc. So from GW's point of view, the change most likely makes sense.

Gaebriel
16-05-2008, 08:35
I couldn't have built any of my models without the bits order - over five years I only bought about 25% generic boxes and blisters.

As it was impossible to continue on that road, I stopped - now a full bitz-order comeback would not make me jump in big style again, but I would surely composae a nice conversion then and now.

Brimstone
16-05-2008, 12:57
This is a poll on something widely recognised and discussed as a step down on the previous offering?

OK :rolleyes: that's worthwhile

Thread Closed

The Warseer Inquisition