PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves

macejase
17-05-2008, 11:41
I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the new druchii models that have been sneak peaked so far, if you havent seen them they are in the rumour round up forum. Ive been playing druchii a long time and after seeing the new models decided to hold out on buying chaos just yet as i can expand my dark elf force in 3 months time with all the new models. My brother is also thinking of selling his wood elves for high elves, so ill have a great enemy to fight.

The new Dreadlord is amazing i fell in love with that model the moment i saw it, and im definately buying one to lead my army. The weapon could be a bit better but the elf himself and his baby dragon are amazing. The new corsairs are great too, i never fielded them before because i dont like buying whole units of metal models 3 at a time due to money, but now i can so i will. Not too keen on the banner but the elves have a really evil look about them - its great.

As to the other models which are getting redone, i suppose i will buy each of the new special characters and the new sorceresses, and a couple of corsair boxes. I already have a sorceress made from the witch hag model from the current CoB, which i will probably buy the new one if its on wheels. New assassins? great because i love these guys so i will buy a few and put them in my units as upgrades.

And for units that wont get redone, warriors is not too bad because they already have good plastic kit and their spears can be used as lance since their basic weapon changes. However, either witch elves, executioners or black guard would of been nice. The current models for each are amazing as is, but again they are around 7 for 3, and i would like to field about 25 of each but have nowhere near that much money at the moment. Given the choice i'd probably go for plastic witch elves.

Finally, the new rule. Looks like it might be hatred for all, eternal hatred for high elves, and +1A on the charge. Could balance out ASF of high elves but then it seems it would overpower a lot of other armies which havent been redone yet, so we might not see that many rules. Personally i prefer hatred of all, eternal hatred of high elves and stubborn or somehting against high elves.

Thats just my rant on the new druchii comments welcome, and what do you think of the new models and changes?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
17-05-2008, 11:55
1. It's nice to have a character model for once. Even if it is a little shonky (I love the weapon though. It's one they use in duels, designed to be stuck in the other fellows back, crippling him for life, causing intense agony, but not actually killing him)

2. Plastic Corsairs? Yes please Santa, I'll take lots.....

The new rules though...yes...the new rules....the new rumours that single handedly managed to miss the Corsairs getting weapon options, something they have never had before. Ergo, I'm still calling shenanigans and wishlisting on all the rumoured rules.

Lordsaradain
17-05-2008, 12:00
I'm glad Dark elves are getting an update because currently, their book is abit too weak, especially since GW outlawed the Albion and SoC magic items, while all other armies have gotten so much better.

I don't know what new rules are offcially confirmed yet, so I can't comment them yet, but if the book is in line in power of the HE and VC book, I don't think druchii players will be dissapointed.

On the models, the dreadlord looks awful, he doesn't look one bit elfy imo, an ugly weapon, and a bald head with a huge topknot instead of a cool druchii-like helm. And the pose isn't good either. The corsairs and hydra on the other hand look very good, as do the new Cold Ones. Most of the Dark elf range was already brilliant, I just want to see some good looking characters.

macejase
17-05-2008, 12:04
can you show me a picture of the hydra please?

ferda
17-05-2008, 12:19
maybe this one

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/Heldrak/?action=view&current=sc000456d8.jpg

macejase
17-05-2008, 13:08
cool but i cant really tell if thats new or the current one from that distance. Im going GW later on today and im going to buy the high elf book since it should have some decent DE information in it and i can get to know my enemy a bit better.

will anyone else be buying the new DE models?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
17-05-2008, 13:34
OH yes.

I need lots of infantry for my army....lots and lots of infantry!

silashand
17-05-2008, 14:51
I want hydra prides... ;)

I like the new Corsairs and will probably buy a unit or two of them, but I already have plenty. Same with the Cold One knights, though I may have to replace all my old Cold Ones since the new fellas are just *so* much nicer...

Can't wait to see what else we get. Dark Elves are my 2nd favorite army behind my Dwarfs and I am pretty stoked about them.

Cheers, Gary

tortoise
17-05-2008, 15:52
The dreadlord is horrendous, the corsairs are excellent and I love the poses on them too. Don't know there's anything else to comment on except that i would never field a single unit of the awful plastic warriors so unless they get redone I still won't be collecting one of my favourite warhammer races.

zak
17-05-2008, 17:05
I don't think the Dreadlord is bad at all. I like the model and the pose. I will paint mine much darker to suit my army. I love the rest of the new models. August is going to be VERY bad for Mr Wallet!!! I'm going to have to be extremely nice to the other half...browny points urgently needed.

badgeraddict
17-05-2008, 17:46
I don't think the Dreadlord is bad at all. I like the model and the pose. I will paint mine much darker to suit my army. I love the rest of the new models. August is going to be VERY bad for Mr Wallet!!! I'm going to have to be extremely nice to the other half...browny points urgently needed.

Isn't that the truth?

Shame I have 32 Corsairs already :(

I'm not sure about the Dreadlord, I prefer the Avatars Of War Dark Elf.

Fideru
17-05-2008, 17:47
The dreadlord is horrendous, the corsairs are excellent and I love the poses on them too.
100% agreed. I don't like anything about the Dread-Lord at all :x

MalusCalibur
17-05-2008, 18:21
From what I've thus far seen I'm not bowled over by the new DE stuff: as has been stated already, the Dreadlord is utterly awful, paling in comparison to the AoW DE hero, and the Corsairs seem kind of 'meh': nothing about them stands out to me.

I'm still looking forward to seeing new CoK's, though. The current models are splendid, and if they can recreate that general look in plastic they will be superb.

MalusCalibur

vigilant_fiend
17-05-2008, 19:04
I think the new models look great (even the dreadlord) I cant wait for august now! I just have to convince my wife to let me buy some :(

Orcboy_Phil
17-05-2008, 19:13
The dreadlord ain't great. Alright but not great. I like the corsars except for there cloak, it looks too papery rather than the thick leather it should be. Can't wait for the knights thougth.

Milney
17-05-2008, 19:37
I have to say, I'm not bowled over by the models either.

The sneak view of the 3-up Cold One sculpt though, that's fantastic! Even if they just stuck the old CoKs on them I'd buy them.

What I *am* happy about with the new models is;

a) Plastic! Thank you god! My Dark Elf box was beginning to make my arms significantly longer than normal ;)
b) Corsair weapon options. An actually customisable unit - in my DEs? It's more likely than you think.

I'm just hoping the rumours of shields and handbows are true. Universal 3+ save (Light Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield; Hw/Shield in CC makes up for only +1 save from Cloak in combat) and 21 (7wide frontage) stand and shoot shots? Yes please!

Overt_Spy
17-05-2008, 20:34
Argh! My boy's sundered kin. Though I despise them to my very core, I will admit the Corsairs do look very nice, though are the designs on their cloaks modeled in, or is that 'eavy metal being fancy? I only ask because thats what I think looks coolest, that sort of crackling color look.

Dread lord, not a fan, mainly because his bald head, hopefull he comes with a variant head, preferably a helmeted one.

Looks to be a very solid update especially when you factor in the new cold one knights, but alas, all these pretty plastics will still be smashed asunder by the pure and noble Asur. Pitty. :p

Col. Dash
17-05-2008, 21:08
Both lords look pretty crappy. The second one only slightly better than baldy, at least he looks more elfy. I love that 3rd character guy, even if he appears to be the corsair champion, I could be wrong. The corsairs look sweet, unfortunately I already have 2 painted large units and another unit in the very, extremely long term process Being painted. Going on a year now heheh. Oh well could always use more for legendary battles lol, 4000 points baby! "But you have less than a hundred models on the field."

Mouldsta
18-05-2008, 04:44
I really like the dreadlord, for a couple of reasons;
1). I'm doing a cult of slaanesh, so that top knot goes well with the theme.
2). Like grotsnik said, the weapon is the cripple your opponent but not kill them one (very slaanesh)
3). It's so old school GW as to be untrue - skulls everywhere, reminds me of old chaos warriors. Makes me smile at least.

Petey
18-05-2008, 04:56
I think the dread lord is lame and the hydra is weaksauce, but the corsairs look good, as does the new cold one

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-05-2008, 05:15
Actually I rather like the Dread Lord, on the other hand I'm not terribly keen on the corsairs. Of course, the pictures I've seen is far from the best but so far they haven't convinced me I need some, even if they are getting some nifty new rules to go with the plastic models.

The Cold One looks to be a huge improvement over the old one (but given how ugly it was no surprise there), but as long as they are stupid I'll not be using them anyway so *shrug*

The hydra looks to be a decent model in that picture although you can't really make out too much. I think I'll stick to my converted Dragon for my Hydra needs tho, although it could be interesting if I feel I need two of them.

Col. Dash
18-05-2008, 05:36
Oh yeah, I didnt mention. YAY! I get missile weapons again on my corsairs after what, 6 or 7 years? Now they have utility again as a mainstay infantry troop instead of just being regular infantry with hand weapons. Where are you guys seeing these cold ones, I saw that one pic of a cold one that has been up for months but nothing of the riders or the unit. I already have 10, I dont think I want any more but oh well.

shabbadoo
18-05-2008, 05:38
People are being way too harsh on the Dreadlord. It is an excellent sculpt skill-wise. There are just a few elements of it that some people don't care for.

The Corsair pics are a little bit dark so hopefully some better shots of them(or pics of them painted in a different color scheme) will show off their attributes better. From what I can see though, they look pretty dang good. I'm glad they are adding a bit more detail back on to the minis. The current Warriors are so plain and boring, so it is unfortunate they are not likely being re-done any time soon.

boosterburn
18-05-2008, 05:43
I think the dreadlord is awesome, I don't understand all the hate directed toward it.

isidril93
18-05-2008, 08:13
so its official!!!
the dreadlord is a marmite model!!!
you either love it or hate it!!!

where are the picture of the coldones...?

sulla
18-05-2008, 09:12
100% agreed. I don't like anything about the Dread-Lord at all :x

He's got cold one knight armour, a cool weapon and only a head swap with a plastic cold one knight will be required to make him look like a dismounted knight. That's good enough for me.

chivalrous
18-05-2008, 10:08
Dreadlord is rather ordinary. I won't say terrible because there's nothing aesthetically offensive about it. It's just lacklustre. That said, it might just be because of the rather bland paint job on the armour. I wonder if the top-knot can be clipped of, or whether the hair is modelled down the models back.

As for the Corsairs. I cannot stand the vampiresque collars, they're horrible. The rest of the models are however brilliant and despite having a fair number of corsairs already, I'll be investing in the plastics (clipping off the collars) if only to have a corsair unit with a crossbow option.

Corsairs getting weapon options, something they have never had before.
Well, not since they had an option for repeater crossbows in 5th edition;)

the hydra is weaksauce,

Be fair, the only photo available is taken from behind the model from a ways away. It hardly gives you any detail, hell, there's still discussion about whether it's an old model or a conversion (like the Witch elves in the same photo). There's just not enough of the model to see to construct an informed opinion.
So for the moment, back down and hold onto the unfair slating until there's a much more detailed photo.

blindingdark
18-05-2008, 14:24
Originally Posted by Petey
the hydra is weaksauce,

i thought he was comparing it to a poorly made tobasco ?

Count Demandred
19-05-2008, 11:35
Both lords look pretty crappy. The second one only slightly better than baldy, at least he looks more elfy. I love that 3rd character guy, even if he appears to be the corsair champion, I could be wrong. The corsairs look sweet, unfortunately I already have 2 painted large units and another unit in the very, extremely long term process Being painted. Going on a year now heheh. Oh well could always use more for legendary battles lol, 4000 points baby! "But you have less than a hundred models on the field."

Where's the picture of the second Dreadlord?

macejase
19-05-2008, 12:11
yeah there was only the one dreadlord? unless theres something your not showing us Col. Dash

Count Zero
19-05-2008, 12:33
i like the corsair that appears to have a short stabbing knife that you hold inbetween your fingers (on the squad pic he is the guy on end after the standard bearer) i am not sure on the corsair collars and the way the cloaks all curve to the rhs of the model (although i relaise they will need to rank up). over all i think i will be happy with them.

really not liking the dread lord at the mo, i dont mind the weapon or even the dragonette, but the head just looks wrong, he has no neck! hmm another quick look at the pic and i am not keen on his legs positioning either, i see he has one foot on the helmet, but they are too close togther, like he is about to try and balance on the helmet.