PDA

View Full Version : Empire without Detachments any chance of success?

arkle
17-05-2008, 23:16
I'am in the process of building a Lustria expeditionary force, but I can't decided whether to use detachments or just individual blocks of troops. I was going to bulid the army around 3 blocks of swordsmen(converted militia with shields) each with a militia detachment. However I remember a while ago one of the youngsters at the store just used lots empire blocks and no detachments, making use of flagellants(jungel fever troops to tie into my theme) to hold harder troops in place.

It is just a friendly army for store and home gaming army but as you can imagine I don't wish to bulid 6-8 blocks just to see them steam rolled each game. Can my theme army still be fun and not too weak by just using blocks supported by 2xmortars, cannon, pistoliers and a flanking knights.

Thanks

lparigi34
17-05-2008, 23:49
I have done several Empire builds without using them.. yes, it is ok. It will work fine anyhow.

But if you happen to make some smaller units (i,e. 10 Gunmen), and not attaching them to a unit, you are just missing some advantages you have (in this case a unit that can be used to bait, as will not cause panic to others when fleeing and miss the bonus of a unit that can S&S for free in case the parent gets charged)

minionboy
18-05-2008, 03:36
I think they're fine, but you're missing one of the things that makes empire less vanilla. You can use large blocks of infantry with small units of 3x3 detachments to negate ranks and keep them maneuverable.

Commodus Leitdorf
18-05-2008, 14:16
Its not impossible and it does work. What you have to remember is that your detachments are expendable. They are there to ensure that your main block wins combat. Whether that means hitting an opponents flank, or sacrificing it so that your main block is unharmed. Half the time I dont get to counter-charge or support charge because I have my detachments running around protecting my flanks or screening my units.

It can work...but the role detachments play are far to important to ignore.

popisdead
23-05-2008, 21:54
I don't see the point.