PDA

View Full Version : Huron (the not so used) Blackheart

Pooky
18-05-2008, 01:22
I'm curious why not many people use Huron Blackheart. Admittedly, he's not the most powerful or tooled out HQ and he's not going to be a game winning single model, but for his points I think he's a good balance. That and I love the model (since I did some remodelling to him).

So, why don't people use Huron Blackheart?

Captin Korea!
18-05-2008, 01:25
I see no us for him in a IW themed army, and he's a point sink vs a standard lord.

Tiller5
18-05-2008, 01:26
I personally aodre the model, and I think he has some pretty nifty rules, but I don't use him in my 1k Sons force because he is just too close combat orientated. But then the heavy flamer fist of doom is pretty awesome!

Creeping_Death
18-05-2008, 01:26
Well like you say, he isn't all that powerful and doesn't have that many options.

As for being balanced for his points... well for less points I can use a Chaos Lord. I can even give it termie armour and a combi weapon/ lightning claws and it still comes to less than Huron.

Also, I don't really like the model, it looks like he's begging for change or something... and alot of people probably wouldn't field him unless they have a red corsairs army.

Nals
18-05-2008, 01:29
well i think its a great model and backround history, but it may be due to the fact that the chaos space marine codex is not that hot right now in its current state.

Chimaera2000
18-05-2008, 01:38
Some possible reasons....

1) The Daemon Prince is so good that it doesn't make much sense for a Chaos player to use any other HQ choice if they want to remain fully competitive.

2) Some players prefer not to use special characters, often for flavor reasons ("it doesn't make much sense for Huron Blackheart to lead my army since Chaos Lord Fluffy is a tremendous egoist who'd never willingly give over command").

3) For those players that do use special characters, Chaos has a lot of plain sexier choices. Huron might be a hard-to-kill pirate, but compare him to guys like Ahriman, Lucius or Kharn! Those guys have far more interesting flavor text.

4) People don't like Huron's model. I personally am fine with it, but I'm sure that some people aren't.

In terms of overall utility, I think that Huron is one of the most versatile Chaos special characters since he has a power weapon, Power fist, heavy flamer and the Warptime power. He might not be as great a duelist as Lucius or as crushing in melee as Abaddon, but he can mix it up in a lot of different ways.

Depulsor
18-05-2008, 03:06
5) He has no Lash :p

Raven1
18-05-2008, 03:15
I really like the model, and Im seriously thinking about kit bashing him and my old IW Warsmith to make a Huron-warsmith dude. I think it will be sweet.

He rules and his price on the other hand are just not worth it. You can make a better Chaos Lord for the same or less points, and why take a Chaos Lord when you can take a better Demon Prince for the same points.

I think you see what I'm getting at.

loveless
18-05-2008, 03:43
I really, really like the Huron model.

I don't use him, because I don't play CSM. :p

If I did, however, I'd probably use Lucius over him...I have a bit of a Slaanesh fetish.

LoneSniperSG
18-05-2008, 03:58
I too am not a Chaos player.. But he's a villain in some of my army background, particularily my BFG fluff, since my fleet is in the Valhallan sector.. very near to the Maelstrom.

.. And -were- I a Chaos player.. I would either be Iron Warriors or straight up World Eaters. Kharn is my favorite of the bad.

soulcrusher
18-05-2008, 08:55
i love the model , btw dosent huron and his pirates have their ' base' ( yeh bad way of putting it ) in the maelstrom not in the eye of terror?

Plebian
18-05-2008, 08:57
5) He has no Lash :p

What he said;)

Koryphaus
18-05-2008, 09:03
I have a bit of a Slaanesh fetish.

Ok, we'll move away now, slowly, easy does it... RUN! :D

malkkis
18-05-2008, 09:12
For the starters I personally loathe using the Huron for few reasons; Number one. My EoT located Black Legion marines doesn't mix well with the Corsairs from the Maelstrom. Number two, personally loathe the model. Looks like a hobo or something. And finally, I don't think he would be leading my army in another part of segmentum solaris every time. :P

destroyerlord
18-05-2008, 10:16
I think the model is ok, but it doesn't fit with my armies theme. I don't like using special characters because I don't like playing with someone else's army (I'm a bit weird like that). I much prefer to have my own background for my own renegades. Admittedly I did start out with an Iron Warriors army, but after a while I got a little bored of them, and I don't want to paint that much metal...so the new Codex gave me an excuse to make my own renegade chapter (something I think most people didn't do before because it was always a little glossed over and slightly lame. Remember the red corsairs in the 3.5 Codex? Space wolves with a red 'x' on their chest...ugh.)

Mr Feral
18-05-2008, 10:23
Remember the red corsairs in the 3.5 Codex? Space wolves with a red 'x' on their chest...ugh.)

You obviously haven't seen mine then. :p

I have the Huron model, it's converted but I'll wheel him out for bigger games. I think it's obvious to say I collect Red Corsairs at this point. :D

ChaosBeast
18-05-2008, 11:11
i dont use him because
a) i dont like the model, it looks like he's in spasms
b) for 5 points less i can have kharn, nough said

wickedvoodoo
18-05-2008, 12:29
I like the Huron model, i am quite surprised to see that so many dont.

I do think he is overpriced though, in my opinion all of the characters are. Generic HQ's all the way.

Sideros Peltarion
18-05-2008, 13:05
I do think he is overpriced though, in my opinion all of the characters are. Generic HQ's all the way.

I'm not sure about Abbs there. I mean anyone who can instant-kill an Eversor Assassin AND a Sisters of Battle Cannonness on his own in one round of combat must be worth a lot. (I did it in a 24 hour Apocalypse battle:evilgrin:)

MaliGn
18-05-2008, 18:43
I've used Huron, as a base model for my Dark Apsotle. I wouldn't use Huron unless I was collecting Red Corsairs, which I'm not, therefore no Huron. If I was collecting Red Corsairs, I would be using Huron since he is so integral to thier Fluff.

MegaPope
18-05-2008, 19:08
I really liked the concept for the Tyrant of Badab (I remember the old WD with the original background for the Badab War in it) and I used him extensively in his 2ed incarnation. But all things considered, the guy should be in the loyalist Marine codex - he's not a real 'Chaos' renegade, he's a pirate, and the remnants of his Chapter, plus everyone else who's joined him over the years, are 'modern' Marines, not the ancient traitors that the CSM codex, despite it's changes, still portrays.

It makes me wonder how much more 'useful' and 'competitive' HB would be percieved were he a 'renegade loyalist' special character rather than a CSM one.