PDA

View Full Version : New Skaven Team

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
19-05-2008, 10:44
Alright, I have never played Blood Bowl before, but there's a league starting up soon and I'm going to get in on it. Without further ado, here's my first team roster. Please pick it to pieces, give advice, suggestions, etc.

The Cripple Peak Assassins
Skaven Blood Bowl Team

Manager: Ikspark the Warpsmith

Thrower: Trab Hemlock
Gutter Runner: Slythe the Sneak
Gutter Runner: Obsciven the Whisper
Gutter Runner: Skitter the Ghost
Storm Vermin: Bliad Throttle
Storm Vermin: Toxure the Blade
Lineman: Tricin Scuttle
Lineman: Sner the Leathal
Lineman: Sler Stabb
Lineman: Tress Sneek
Lineman: Kniven Creep
Lineman: Hin Creep

Reroll x3
Fan Factor x3

Total: 1,000,000

From what I've seen about on the Interwebs, this is a pretty good starting list. But I'm not sure about the composition, and as for playing them...well, I have no idea how the tactics work. Also, I love Rat Ogres, are they viable for their cost? It'd be great to be able to convert one and throw him in the mix. Thank you in advance for your help!

OrkBoy
19-05-2008, 11:04
Hi,

Gutters are the stars of the team :) Rat Ogres are not need for a new team, the money is needed else where.

Being low AV, high Fan Factor and an Apothecary is needed to save those gutters, also a Thrower is also not needed must depending on your tactics as AG4 Gutters can handle/pass ball fine.

This is for LRB4 rules. I have not played LRB5 yet :(

As an Orc player, I hate those Gutters, so fast my poor Orcs can't keep up, but Skaven do go splat when hit. Linemen are expected to die and only use Apothecary on an experience Lino, save the Apothecary for the Gutters and Storm Vermin.

Tennboy
19-05-2008, 13:02
The key to a great skaven team is, remain fluid. Don't get dragged into a battle over the LOS. Use your speed to set up a mobile fence to harass your opponents progress.

Have you ever saw rats pour through a hole? This is what you need to do on Defense. Knock a hole in the line, then send all the rats through to swarm the ball.

Skills needed
First Line Rat - Kick
Blitzers (SV) - Guard, Tackle, MB
Catchers (GR) - Block, then you can get creative, Leap, Shadow, tackle,

Darkson
19-05-2008, 13:30
Rat Ogres aren't bad, but there are more important things to spend the money on, especially on a rookie team.

Tennboy
19-05-2008, 14:11
I forgot one to mention Side Step as an essential skill for a skaven catcher, because those little guys tend to live on the sideline and in tight places.

rev
19-05-2008, 15:30
I presume your team looks like this because of the models you've got in the boxed set?

rev

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
20-05-2008, 02:16
I presume your team looks like this because of the models you've got in the boxed set?

rev

No, not really, like I said, it's based mostly on lists I've seen online.

Thanks for all the tips so far, fellas. So is my list pretty good for starting out?

-fen-
20-05-2008, 09:26
I'd personally drop the thrower and some FF to get Gutter Runner #4 (gutter runners make better throwers than well, throwers.) The rest seems fine.

kloudfire
20-05-2008, 15:05
I disagree with the last post. Throwes can be good early on because they are better at handling the ball then lino but have 1 more point of STR. 1 point of STR make more of a difference over then game then the 3 extra movement on just one guy.

Also a Rat Ogre is always a great debate, but I think it is unviable in LRB5 because of the new only block on doubles.

Tennboy
20-05-2008, 19:03
I disagree with the last post. Throwes can be good early on because they are better at handling the ball then lino but have 1 more point of STR. 1 point of STR make more of a difference over then game then the 3 extra movement on just one guy.

Also a Rat Ogre is always a great debate, but I think it is unviable in LRB5 because of the new only block on doubles.

Wrong, Speed and Agility are the best, most reliable weapons in BB. Speed and Agility wins games. That is why Orc blitzers are better than Black Orc Blockers.

It is utterly demoralizing to watch a WE or Skaven team that you think you,ve hemmed up, break out and go endzone to endzone, just to realize you don't have enough movement catch the guy.

Yes the guy is Str2, but at the rate that gutterrunners skill up. It is gonna be a chore to get a Blodging, Side Stepping, and heavens to bid Fending or Leaping guy down.

That is why I had one wardancer with the ball take on 5 guys trying to knock him down and cage him, run from endzone to endzone.

rev
20-05-2008, 19:35
No, not really, like I said, it's based mostly on lists I've seen online.

in that case I'd go with Fen's comments.

4 gutter runners over a thrower would be my choice.

rev

Warlord Gnashgrod
22-05-2008, 07:50
I would at the most, have only 2 gutter runners.

They're good when you have the ball, but with their puny s2 they are very bad when you are trying to stop the other team from making a TD. Also, with that low AV of 7, you need as many players as you can get, so that you can keep 11 on the field.

I think the RO is very good at the start. And considering how making money in LRB5 works, you'll never get the chance to get one later. Though I do think he is overpriced as 160K.

Also if you ever get doubles for skills, Mutations are always good. The 3 best being claws, extra arm and 2 heads.

-fen-
22-05-2008, 09:06
2 Gutter Runners is... well it's terrible advice. Gutter Runners are the heart and soul of the Skaven team, without them essentially you have a bad Wood Elf team that can't dodge away. They're key to both scoring and stopping TDs.

rev
22-05-2008, 13:06
agreed.

I've played skaven a lot, with all kinds of roster permutations and i've always got slammed without at least 3 GR.

The skaven team has little going for them without gutter runners. Its fun for a challenge or a change, but not for a tournie.

rev

Tennboy
22-05-2008, 13:33
I would at the most, have only 2 gutter runners.

They're good when you have the ball, but with their puny s2 they are very bad when you are trying to stop the other team from making a TD. Also, with that low AV of 7, you need as many players as you can get, so that you can keep 11 on the field.

That all depends on how you skill them up. A Skaven Catcher can be a nightmare of D.

Safety - Blodge, Side step, Tackle, Shadow, Pass Block.
Blitzer - Blodge, Dauntless, Horns, Stripball, Tackle.