PDA

View Full Version : Single model assaulter viability

Arkturas
19-05-2008, 11:28
There are a number of units that come in single model or very small units. With 5th ed to allow the defender to move models after the assaulter to maximise CC are these small units going to be viable. A standard tactic now is to assault the edge of a unit to engage 2-3 models and to kill them off to limit attacks back, I can see this being no longer possible.

Although most single model units will cope (Daemon Princes, Hive Tyrants, Carnifexes, C'Tan etc) they are likely to take more wounds in combat through weight of dice by a potentially great increase in number of attacks by the defender.

Small bike squads and things like lictors that attack ahead of the main force may move towards being effectively suicide squads unless you sacrifice their foward movement to perform a unified assault with the slower moving units of the main force.

So what are the plans to use small, fast assaulter units, if there are plans to use them at all.

Halfpast_Yellow
19-05-2008, 11:45
Depends what their defences are like...

On the flip side, small, tough, punchy units could now rack up some quick sweeping advances, ie if they charge in and deal three wounds for no damage in return, that's a -3 to the Morale test. Before you couldn't get that sort of negetive modifier without outnumbering.

Mad Larkin UK
19-05-2008, 13:06
and on another plus side, the rules for fearless units in CC have changed. So if your fex charges my unit of 50 conscripts and kills 7 of them with only 1 wound in return, i have to take another 6 5+ saves as they are fearless (commisar gaunt) Which means they will be going down alot faster

Vepr
19-05-2008, 14:24
The Lictor already is a suicide unit. I have only had one survive it's initial charge a handful of times.

Levett
19-05-2008, 14:27
and on another plus side, the rules for fearless units in CC have changed. So if your fex charges my unit of 50 conscripts and kills 7 of them with only 1 wound in return, i have to take another 6 5+ saves as they are fearless (commisar gaunt) Which means they will be going down alot faster

Thats bizarre, so you now take armour saves equal to the amount of wounds you lost combat by if your Fearless? Does this mean the saves from being outnumbered are gone?

Buckero0
19-05-2008, 14:33
I think this will affect things like callidus assassins though.

ReveredChaplainDrake
19-05-2008, 15:05
The viability of a single assaulter depends on how many attacks they get. In other words, Carnifexes, Bloodthirsters, Bloodfeeder-wielding Chaos Lords, and Nightbringers (Etheric Tempest after forced Counterassault :evilgrin:) are in.

As for Lictors, screw fluff, they're pack hunters. (Or tank-hunters. Hey, Str6+6+d3 still penetrates, and most Tanks won't be moving around so much anymore.) Only if you have a silly number of Gaunts will Lictors be any good as solo-fighters, and then only for the new Preferred Enemy bonuses, which ought to make Lictors worth it (for once :rolleyes:). I see lots of Lictor + Miasmafex combo-charges in the future...

eriochrome
19-05-2008, 17:21
You guys are missing the fact that now there is a general counterattack ability units in upcoming codexs will get a power that negates it. That is how 40K works. Make rule, give ability to negate that rule to a few select units(Lichtors and Assassins come to mind as proper for fluff), then give the ability to negate rule to many units (new grenade type etc.), eliminate rule in next edition. Rinse and repeat.

Arkturas
20-05-2008, 11:41
I agree that lictors are somewhat suicidal and feeder tendrils will be very nice but as a general strategy raveners or leaping warriors look the better deal as a combat unit for the points cost. A Lictors main advantage is going up against vehicles but you'll still probably want to take 3 and compared to 6 leaping warriors is that really a good deal. Carnifexes with scythe tails, now that could be interesting.

I still feel though that attackers in CC will almost always be worse off than now due to the additional attacks that they'll take unless you can really swamp the defender in number of attacks to the point of a massacre and that brings its own problems with getting shot next turn.