PDA

View Full Version : HE 2k Phalanx army (alternative list)

eleveninches
19-05-2008, 15:49
6x6 phalanxes with combat heroes, suported by decent firepower

174: Noble BSB (heavy armour, shield, great weapon, loremasters cloak, gem of courage)
147: Noble (heavy armour, great weapon, dragon armour of caledor, dragonhorn)
150: Mage (2x dispel scrolls, talisman of protection)
295: 30 Spearelves (FC, musician, standard)
355: 20 Phoenix Guard (FC, banner of arcane protection)
300: 3x RBT
----
----

Interesting list. Would be interesting to see how well it fares

Andrew Luke
19-05-2008, 17:43
Spear elf fetish? lol. It would be fun to fight thise list against your summoning horde. One concern is your will have a hell of a time maneuvering all those huge blocks. Another is that this list vs. gunlines = loss. You could shave a rank off all of these blocks and get some Dragon Princes, or Silver Helms to stick with the theme (Spear Elves on horsies!).

minionboy
19-05-2008, 20:17
On a 2 foot wide board, this army would be king.

fubukii
19-05-2008, 20:28
i would suggest eagles instead so you can redirect charges,

Your Mum Rang
19-05-2008, 20:30
Slaanesh loves this army! 6 x 6 x 6!

minionboy
19-05-2008, 21:04
Slaanesh loves this army! 6 x 6 x 6!

I'm betting they're 5x7 :P

WhiteKnight
20-05-2008, 01:00
1 mage? one mage that has to support how many spearmen?

eleveninches
20-05-2008, 09:21
The theme of the army is old-shcool ancient warfare, so im not going to have any flashy magic. THe magic items are all magic-defence and leadership boosting, which matches the theme of the army.

List has been modified to fit in some phoenix guard as the elite of the army.

And the mage was clearly for magic defence. He'll choose bears anger and drain magic on 2 dice and 1 for bears anger

Mike KK
20-05-2008, 09:34
hm well if they had a army of arabs and immortals it would be cool, SPARTAN!!!

dunno what you could use for xerses/ immortals tho :S maybe dow

eleveninches
28-05-2008, 09:25
Im not sure whether to go for this army or a goblin/fanatic horde.

Conotor
28-05-2008, 12:34
errr. 30 is 5x6, not 6x6.

The Anarchist
28-05-2008, 19:12
I can aprreciate that your going for the classical phalanx tactic, pretty much exemplified by Alexander the greta, designed by philip of macadon, and used pretty much up till the time of the roman empire. but one thing your lacking all the succsefull encounters of the phalanx used was the hammer. in the words of philip of Macadon "the phalanx is the anvil, you and the Vangaurd (the macadonian cavalry under alexanders' command) needs be the hammer." i would advise getting rid of the pheonix gaurd, yes they are pretty solid, but thye jsut don't dish out enough damage for they points and such. you could get in a nice heavy cavalry in the form of maybe 12 dragon princes with a noble to emulate alexander and the vangaurd.
another smaller point on army composition 30 spear elves is plenty, maybe 27-28 would serve the same purpose, would allow you to spend the extra points on a small unit of elyrian reavers or something.

jsut my two cents.

Marwynn
28-05-2008, 19:20
My math says that's 2011 points.

It's a nice list, commendable that you'd go that route. There are a few things, however: One is the lack of a hammer as The Anarchist pointed out. The other is the lack of march-blocking and battlefield control.

No Eagles, Shadow Warriors, or Ellyrian Reavers to delay the enemy and let you pick your fights. No warmachine hunters will be a problem. Sure, those 20 Spears look all nice and pretty. Then the Empire player lands a Mortar right on top of them. Then a Helstorm to the one beside. And another Mortar to the third one.

You'd be left with the Phoenix Guard. And unless you're going to deploy the PGs 20 wide to be some kinda crazy shield, which I'd suggest trying out at least once, this'll be a problem. Even if you did do that it won't take much for an Empire general used to artillery to land some mortar shots behind that line.

Trim the Phoenix Guards to 15. Drop one Spear block. Use these points to get Eagles/Reavers/Shadow Warriors whatever you want and some hammers like a Dragon Prince unit, some chariots, etc.

eleveninches
29-05-2008, 09:49
Thanks for the advice. I might do as suggested and drop the PG, though I really did want to keep them, as they are really tough. I might get some Dragon Princes or a couple of eagles as suggested.