PDA

View Full Version : How do chaos legions land vehicles?

Arkhar
19-05-2008, 18:25
Iīve never seen any transport of chaos that can land transport onto a planet surface from a cruiser, not even in epic. Do we assume that chaos also makes use of thunderhawk gunship/transporters? In the Horus heresy novels, every legion had its thunderhawks. Do they still have them? What do you think?.

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
19-05-2008, 18:37
yeah they have them, and drop pods to transport dreads - any more questions ?

dreadclaw = earlier, more advanced version of sm drop pod

x-esiv-4c
19-05-2008, 18:39
Dreadclaws.
They use them as ship to land carriers as well as conduct boarding actions with them.

Arkhar
19-05-2008, 19:04
I already knew the dreadclaws, i'm not a newbie you know :rolleyes:.

Now that I think of it, IIRC, chaos fleets in BFG have the option to replace its bomber, fighters and dreadclaws for thunderhawks, so that can be a proof that they still use them.

Wow, i've answered myself, i should go to see a doctor right now :D

different13
19-05-2008, 19:35
Read Storm of Iron.
A certain ship made me exclaim, "Holy ****", upon reading it.

Btw, not everything in the background has to have basis in the game. I don't see rules for supply lines, but I'm still pretty sure most soldiers need to eat.

Anyway, to answer your question - the same way the Imperials do - purpose-built lander ships, either captured, constructed, etc.

Johnnyfrej
19-05-2008, 19:58
Sometimes if there is a large enough chaos cult on the planet they can sacrifice enough people to summon a Warp Portal and the CSMs just show up.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2fYJRoTZypQ&feature=related

PondaNagura
19-05-2008, 20:55
who narrated that jimmy durante?

chaos def have transports, either from back in the legion days, things they've commandeered, things their cultists use, or even things they engineered...like living vehicles meant for transportation.

Raven1
19-05-2008, 21:00
Read Storm of Iron.
A certain ship made me exclaim, "Holy ****", upon reading it.

Might you be thinking about the Obliterator Virus infected tyranid Hive MInd Ship thing, that is now used to transport Legio Mortis and it's Titans. That thing is wicked. It made me want to do two things; 1) Get that Tyranid model and paint it black and wicked looking. 2) Start a Tyranid army based of the idea that their ships were infected with this virus and do the bidding of my Warsmith. How wicked would it be to have tyranids fighting along side my CSM. Screw you demons and LaTD, I have a couple of dakkafexs. I don't need you!

I would assume that the Traitor legions have everything they had before, but now with demonic goodness.

Archangel_Ruined
20-05-2008, 00:00
Lots of (if not most by now, I'm not sure on the numbers but it must be getting close) chaos marines will still have the ships they liberated from their chapters when they turned traitor post heresy. I'd assume most marines would 'disappear' in thunderhawks, it's the smallest ship capable of doing a runner and wouldn't need too many marines to reconsider their chosed carreer path to overpower/commandeer one.

As an aside: is the dreadclaw more advanced than a drop pod? They're different I know but I thought there was just a shift to a newer, simpler design due to reliability and ease of use? I know that seems to answer my question, but as a lander does the dreadclaw offer any real advantage? (Again, I know the rules allow assaults etc. but that's not really a design feature, just wonky rules development at forgeworld and GW)

Raven1
20-05-2008, 01:13
As an aside: is the dreadclaw more advanced than a drop pod? They're different I know but I thought there was just a shift to a newer, simpler design due to reliability and ease of use? I know that seems to answer my question, but as a lander does the dreadclaw offer any real advantage? (Again, I know the rules allow assaults etc. but that's not really a design feature, just wonky rules development at forgeworld and GW)

In Imperial armor update 2006, it says that the dreadclaw had an advanced version of the machine spirit in it, equivalent to a landraider. At the Heresy it seems they were all curropted and loyalist dreadclaws became homacidal and killed there occupants. Forcing loyalist forces to abandon smart droppods. While the demonic infected dreadclaws fit chaos just fine.

Koryphaus
20-05-2008, 05:05
Lots of (if not most by now, I'm not sure on the numbers but it must be getting close) chaos marines will still have the ships they liberated from their chapters when they turned traitor post heresy. I'd assume most marines would 'disappear' in thunderhawks, it's the smallest ship capable of doing a runner and wouldn't need too many marines to reconsider their chosed carreer path to overpower/commandeer one.

Not only that, but they would still quite likely have the Imperial Army Fleet elements they were commanding as well, and they can land a lot of hardware with that stuff.

Arkhar
20-05-2008, 07:41
Besides, arenīt dreadclaws supposed to be able to take off afterwards? Thatīs something SM drop pods canīt do.

Archangel_Ruined
20-05-2008, 09:52
I learn something new everyday, thank you people of the interweb. That said, I think I'd stick to the non-crazy, does as its told drop pod if I had to be fired at a planet, I wouldn't want it getting distracted by something shiny enroute and landing upside down.

Partisan Rimmo
20-05-2008, 09:59
Chaos legion are a lot more integrated with their cultist / human allies that loyalist marines, so in all honesty they probably make use of simple military bulk transport aircraft than Thunderhawks / Stormbirds, though to be perfectly frank, being Chaos Marines, they'll just use anything that comes to hand.