PDA

View Full Version : Dogs of War... Gone?

minionboy
19-05-2008, 23:17
So I was reading a few army books and I noticed something. All the newest armies do not have "Dogs of War" listed under Rare, such as Empire, Orcs and High Elves. The OK book says that they can be taken in armies with DoW as rare options, but those seem to be vanishing. The new GW site doesn't have the DoW rules to download anymore either, nor does the Rule Book have any mention of their use or existence whatsoever.

Are DoW rapidly vanishing? What about OK, who can use them as DoW?

Crazy Harborc
19-05-2008, 23:53
Until the end of the last week make over of GW, USA the DoW/RoR stats, roster generator lists as well as other material was being maintained in PDF files for ease of download. Apparently GW, USA (at least for now) is not going to have errata, FAQ and many other support/info/corrections for WFB.

Here's hoping the PDF files and other info will be returning to the site???

IcedCrow
20-05-2008, 00:24
They stated a couple years back at a Games Day that they wanted to get rid of DoW.

Lijacote
20-05-2008, 00:36
They stated a couple years back at a Games Day that they wanted to get rid of DoW.

Lies and slander. The new policy is that you get information on available Dogs of War to your army on-line. No reason to make an entry for DoW for every army.

RavenBloodwind
20-05-2008, 00:46
As Lijacote indicated DoW are as available as before. I did a quick site-search on the US site and found Leopard Company models readily (as a random DoW unit).

This has actually been addressed on MULTIPLE prior threads here on the forums. Starting with WE or maybe the book before there were no longer entries for DoW in individual army books. There has been a lot of mention that GW would like to re-do the way in which DoW function but there is no indication that they intend to get rid of them.

IcedCrow
20-05-2008, 01:39
Lies and slander nothing. That came out of the designer's mouth in 2006 when asked about the army list during the QA session at Games Day in Chicago.

There was a riot on these very boards shortly thereafter and the idea kicked around about making a fan-driven DOW army list. I remember that very well.

I haven't been in the hobby for a year and a half so maybe they changed their stance on it since then but the last I knew from a couple years ago was that they wanted to be rid of Dogs of War.

WLBjork
20-05-2008, 04:47
Funny, I've just gone straight to the Warhammer (http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/) (<link) page, and from there straight to the DoW page (4th link under armies).

Iced Crow: with hindsight, it was probably a dev. talking about removing the options from the Army Books, but no-one understood at the time.

I certainly can't see GW leaving DoW on the website for as long as 18-24 months if they were going to get rid of them.

Braad
20-05-2008, 05:54
The whole thing is, there was a quote of Gav Thorpe somewhere that you should not refer to the army books for the DOW rules, but to the DOW rules themselves, since they have everything in them you need to field DOW. This way, if they ever want to change anything about DOW and how they work, they don't need to FAQ all armybooks, but just change the DOW rules. Makes it all a bit easier.

But for now, just refer to the rules on the UK site.
I don't know what they have done to the US site, but it has been so slow that I haven't beeen visiting since they did their revamp.

Ixquic
20-05-2008, 11:14
If you look at the actual DoW army list that is still up on the official site it clearly states which armies can take which units and even says that it doesn't matter what the actual army books say. The parts of the 6th ed books that listed DoW entries were redundant and sometimes conflictory so they were removed in 7th.

ZeroTwentythree
20-05-2008, 12:35
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301082&orignav=13

Note on DoW from Gav Thorpe.

There's a variety of reasons for removing the reference to DOW in the forthcoming army books, and these are the main ones:

1. The rules detailing how to include DOW in an army are included in the DOW list/ articles. Therefore if you have access to those rules you have access to how they can be added to your army.

2. We may wish to revise the way DOW work in the future, and while we continue to perpetuate the current rules for them in the army books this will be very difficult to do. Our intent is that the DOW rules, should we produce a proper supplement, will be entirely self-contained and require no references in the army books.

Neither of these are intended as a signal that we are never going to do/ immediately going to do (delete as appropriate) a Dogs of War supplement. They are simply a sort of house-cleaning procedure that leaves us clear to evaluate and pursue the correct course of action regarding Dogs of War in the future.

That one?

vesp
20-05-2008, 15:08
end of thread :)

EvC
20-05-2008, 17:42
There'll be another one within a month.

Braad
20-05-2008, 17:51
No.

Next week...

Milney