PDA

View Full Version : Cool now, just plain silly later.

cuda1179
20-05-2008, 07:02
Have you ever had one of those times when you spend hours converting a model that looks great while it is in your hands, only to find out later that it looks silly?

I have just spent the past couple days converting a LoTR Balrog into Scarbrand for a Deamon Army. I started by leaving all the "fire bits" off. I simply painted the fire on his back to look like hair (kind of like the 3rd editon Bloodletters). Since Scarbrand in the rules has no wings I needed something to cover the area where the wings attach. I opted to use green stuff and extra "fire bits" to make it look like he just had more hair.

After the model was finished my wife pointed out that it looks like he now has A LOT of armpit hair. I must say I agree. I converted an armpit-hair deamon. I wonder how many opponents will think the same, but be too embarrassed to mention it.

Kettilman
20-05-2008, 07:05
Please post a pic, I'd love to see a hippie Balrog.

slayerofmen
20-05-2008, 08:56
living all natural, oh yeah, ladies....

seriously tho the idea was defiantly there can we have pics

EVIL INC
20-05-2008, 13:10
Trust the missus to throw rain on your parade. ;)
I have to agree though, I want to see this.

Dragonlover
20-05-2008, 13:22
Given that I had the same idea, but with the fire rather than hair, I really want to see this just to see if it turns out the way I think it does.

Dragonlover

Gwedd
20-05-2008, 13:22
Heh,

If you can greenstuff-up a tie-dyed Tee shirt and some round blue sunglasses, it would be perfect.

Nicer even if you could get some of that hippie/gamer funk smell as well :)

space_kitten
20-05-2008, 13:48
You could hollow it out at put a small piece of burning plant matter inside it for the smell...

The Laughing Man!
20-05-2008, 14:02
I've had it happen a few times and while it can **** on you bonfire a bit it usually ends up being pretty funny.

Like a Big Mek I converted who somehow ended up being shorter than a regular Ork, I'd just not noticed. It was like the whole "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" moment. I still used him, Lil' Mek Stunty. I even built him a gigantic battlewagon to compensate :D

On the plus side I've had the opposite happen a few times as well when I've done a conversion and hated it but one of my friends has loved it, pointed it out to me and then its grown on me too.

arch_inquisitor
20-05-2008, 14:14
This is the problem with designing on the bench, your results are not guaranteed. But I don't know anyone that does the whole process including me.

Grapeshot
20-05-2008, 14:56
After the model was finished my wife pointed out that it looks like he now has A LOT of armpit hair. I must say I agree. I converted an armpit-hair deamon. I wonder how many opponents will think the same, but be too embarrassed to mention it.
Can't help chuckle a laugh. Please post a pic of the Balrog. Should be interesting.

wickedvoodoo
20-05-2008, 16:58
Another vote here for some pics...

ReveredChaplainDrake
20-05-2008, 18:00
Yeah, I have these problems a lot, but they usually don't become evident until I start painting (at which point the changes naturally become irrevocable), such as:
-a Tzeentch Daemon Prince with a Dark Elf banner pole (I think from a Chariot) converted as a magic wand in place of the sword, but he just looks like a big ugly fairy godmother
-10 Daemonettes, 2 w/ pink loincloths, 2 w/ light green loincloths, 2 w/ blue loincloths, 2 w/ red loincloths, and 2 w/ purple loincloths. (Not surprisingly, no one has caught the Galaxy Angel reference yet :rolleyes:)
-a 4th ed Hive Tyrant w/ Gargoyle wings, but looks vaguely like Heimlich (whom I have subsequently replaced the wings for)
-a 4th ed Hive Tyrant (same as above) w/ wings made of Scything Talons and Saran Wrap
-an Eldar Guardian with a "Sword" in his hand... such that it looks like he's looking into his sword like a mirror (a bunch of my Neophytes also have this issue; those Scout models are terrible...)
-Leaping Tyranid Warriors converted with one leg on the ground and the other in the air
-a Chaplain giving the finger (botched conversion)
-a Skink handler painted with an eyeball right in the middle of his eye, making him look like a stoner; my brother named this Skink "Rodney".
-a bunch of Beastmen of Chaos re-based and painted as Lesser Daemons; in an attempt to make them look like Ronso from FFX, I ruined a good half of them trying to settle on a color scheme :cries:
-a Chaos Biker with neither hand on his bike
-a helmetless Chaplain on bike w/ hair made of thin packing foam that looks like an afro when painted up
-a Nightbringer painted up with silver skin, a red cloak, and stupid amounts of ink, with his scythe converted to look like it's transforming into the barrel of a Lascannon (which was meant to be a "Void Dragon" conversion using Nightbringer rules)
-a Carnifex with a trail of pencil shavings running through its base (supposed to look like twigs & sticks) but when I painted the sticks Snakebite Leather it looks like the Carnifex "took a dump" on his base

Mr Zephy
20-05-2008, 18:58
This thread is useless without pictures.

Althanan
20-05-2008, 19:40
-10 Daemonettes, 2 w/ pink loincloths, 2 w/ light green loincloths, 2 w/ blue loincloths, 2 w/ red loincloths, and 2 w/ purple loincloths. (Not surprisingly, no one has caught the Galaxy Angel reference yet :rolleyes:)

You should paint up two more with yellow loincloths.

(an e-cookie to whomever gets the reference)

x-esiv-4c
20-05-2008, 19:45
This thread is useless without pictures.

I concur. I want to see these failures dammit!
( In part to make me feel better ).

Victomorga
20-05-2008, 20:07
anyone else ever try to convert an action pose, only to realize later the guy just looks like he's dancing?

The Song of Spears
20-05-2008, 20:27
anyone else ever try to convert an action pose, only to realize later the guy just looks like he's dancing?

Or dieing? Yup i now have a 'red shirt' model thanks to a crappy attempt to make a running model.