PDA

View Full Version : When can you throw a throwing weapon?

Kettilman
20-05-2008, 07:03
My buddy and I are playing a game tonight and a question came up. I charged a model of his with my cave troll (I had priority), and on his move he wanted to move into combat with the troll, he had throwing spears, he wanted to throw as he charged (like the rules say), but I felt that by going first I created a combat and thus he could not throw because this would be shooting into combat (and he was good). So I'm wondering who was right.

A similar situation came up last week. He was charging an orc of mine with a Rider of Rohan. He threw his spear, failed to wound, then finished his move to contact my base. He then wanted to charge with a second rider, throwing another spear first. I felt, that having a model in base created a combat, so he could not throw the spear (again, he was good). My thinking is that the first riders movement was complete and the fight had begun.

Any help with these situaions would be great, thank you,

Guard Of The Citadel
20-05-2008, 08:22
You cannot throw or shoot any kind of weapon at a target once it has a enemy model in base to base contact, as it is in combat. You may only do this if you are on the evil side, but then you must roll to see who you hit

Baggers
20-05-2008, 12:48
The rules state that you cannot target a model with a thrown weapon, if its in combat. The only exception is that you can shoot into combat, if your evil.

However, that does not mean you can charge in and throw a spear, as it happens in the movement phase, not the shooting phase.

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
21-05-2008, 08:08
if your in combat good side cannot throw throwing weapons into combat as they risk hitting thier own men no such limitations for evil though (Evil Laugh)

Kettilman
21-05-2008, 20:47
Thanks guys. Mainly I guess what I needed to know was when combat actually starts. I figured when the first model touches base, thanks for backing that up Guard. He thought it was all fluid and everything happened at the same time, like in some other games out there. I will pass this on to him.

Thanks again.

Lord Gordonis
22-05-2008, 10:39
But if you move both of models with throwing wpns at the same time into a single target, so you would roll 2 dice for 2 throwing wpns into the same target. So you will have a better chance of killing the same target with 2 models rather than 1.

LG

Neknoh
22-05-2008, 12:21
Models will move individually unless part of a Heroic Move or Combat. As such, there is no "These two charge thatone", it's "thisone charges first and then thisone"

Lord Gordonis
22-05-2008, 19:23
Even though both chargers are going to charge the same model, thats how I have been doing it in the last 2 gt's and playing with my friends of which they havent noticed that.

LG

lotrchampion
22-05-2008, 19:25
Looks like this has been cleared up, but just to round it off:

Throwing weapons can either a) be thrown in the Shooting phase as a normal ranged weapon, or you can use them when charging into a model. You declare the charge with the model (note singular) you wish to use, then move until you are 1" away from the enemy model you are charging. You then resolve the throwing weapon as normal shooting. If you did not kill the model then you complete the charge. Since the model is in combat, you will not then be able to use a throwing weapon on the same model that turn (unless of course you are Evil). If you kill the model, you can then choose to redirect your charge with any movement you have remaining, or simply carry on moving with it. Note that you cannot throw your throwing weapon the second time you charge.

Hope that clarifies things a little better. :)

Kettilman
22-05-2008, 19:49
So you can move two models at once? They way I read the rules you perform each action for each seperate model individually. Thay is why you can premesure, and you can roll one die at a time.

GabrielAngelos
22-05-2008, 21:01
Even though both chargers are going to charge the same model, thats how I have been doing it in the last 2 gt's and playing with my friends of which they havent noticed that.

LG

Models are moved one at a time. Just because you got away with it at a GT doesnt mean its right. ;) It wasnt a GT in the US was it, if so which one?

Neknoh
23-05-2008, 00:03
Indeed. It is impossible for two models to move at once and should your theory be proper, then it would also be impossible to move in between two enemy models despite engaging them in hth with other models since the model wishing to go in between would move simultaneously as the other ones.