PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point Nagarythe [High Elf] list, with background

Treadhead_1st
20-05-2008, 13:33
First up, a bit of background; then there's the army list; and then there's a few things I am not totally happy with - ie, some units I feel may not fit my theme too well.

Please can you review the list, and also the backstory - it's a bit WIP at the moment, but would like opinions on whether it is a viable story or not.

Charoi Arhain was the son of a High Prince of Nagarythe - some say he is a relation of Alith Anar himself. During his youth he built quite a reputation as a monster-slayer, defeating a myriad of foes from unearthly Daemons to vile things from the dark places of the world. He was equally ruthless in his search for Dark Elves as he was brave, and many met their end at his blade. He is the wielder of the Foe-Bane, Hrunting, and it is rumoured that he knew Elf who slew the Chaos Champion personally, and that the blade was a gift to allow him to slay the mighty Black Dragon Sua.

After joining the Citizen Levy as an Archer, he quickly rose to prominance - his strength and skill at arms was unmatched by his fellows. Soon he was in command of entire batallions - a cunning commander and brave fighter. After the Sundering he learnt the ways of the Shadow Warriors and was merciless in his presecution of the traitors - having seen his wife and only son brutally dismembered at their hands.

As such, he was a captain upon the brave raid of Alith Anar and Eltharion upon Naggarond - selected to be in the party of Elves that opened the gates themselves. He was with Alith Anar as the mighty King stole the Stone of Midnight - and that was where his fate began. During the escape from Morathi's palace, he engaged in a duel with her personal champion, and despite his martial prowess he was run through with a blade tainted with a poison made from Morathi's blood. Carried from the city by Anar himself, he clung to life as the party travelled through the wastes and rough seas back to Ulthan.

It took many years to be healed of his wound, and to be rid of the effects of poison. Somehow surviving the lethal venom had gifted him with unaturally long life, and created a bond between him and Morathi, granting visions of her schemes, at first they were pitiful glimpses of slave-torture, but over the centuries the visions took a new, darker turn - he saw a diabolic ritual somewhere within the New World that would open a portal of death and slaughter, bringing about the end of all that is good in the world.

Disturbed by this revalation, he went to the Court of the Phoenix King and sought permission for a preliminary strike at the Dark Elves - for Morathi's plan could not come to fruitition as it would be the doom of the High Elves. Finubar refused to commit any forces to such an action without more than Arhain's vision - disbelieving that such a connection could even exist and that Arhain was merely suffering delusions caused by the toxins.

So Arhain set about gaining more information of this plan, using his band of Shadow Warriors to track down and torture Dark Elf raiders for information. It was a group of these horse-thieves, broken in both body and mind, that held the confirmation of Arhain's vision - and so he took them to the Phoenix King - but the Court was shocked at the level of violence upon these traitors, and condemned Arhain. Once again he was refused permission to lead a strike against the Black Arks preparing to leave Naggaroth.

Loosing his temper at the losses suffered by his warbands and the toil it took to gather the information, to be dismissed out of hand and shunned for doing what was necessary, Arhain struck Finubar about the face. He was detained and removed from the court, whereupon he, and his entire house, was banished from Ulthan and every record of his existance and achievements to be destroyed as punishment for his transgressions.

Wounded by this shame, Arhain took a new name, Nemo - meaning "No-one", having lost all that was dear to him that had not been taken by the Dark Elves. Along with his faithful Shadow Warriors and a few regiments who had been loyal to him throughout the War of Shadow. His loyal friend from childhood, the mage Sethai Lathain, also accompanied him - Nemo took a ship and set sail for Naggaroth, intent on finding Morathi's armada and destroying it in port.

But a violent storm brewed, mightier than the seamanship of even the High Elves, and Nemo's ship was smashed to pieces by the gigantic waves. Many of his men were lost to the sea in the many days adrift, until the remainder washed up on the shores of Khemri. From here, they seek to cross the continent in search of the location of Morathi's ritual to attempt to prevent the horror coming to pass.

Lords

Prince [Arhain/Nemo]: Foe Bane, Dragon Armour, Enchanted Shield, Vambraces of Defence & Talisman of Loec.

Heroes

Mage: Level 2, Hand Weapon, Ring of Fury & Chariot.

Mage [Lathain]: Level 2, Hand Weapon, Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll.

Core

10 Archers.

21 Spearmen: Musician & Standard Bearer.

Special

11 Phoenix Guard: Standard Bearer & Banner of Sorcery.

5 Silver Helms: Shields.

5 Dragon Princes.

5 Shadow Warriors.

5 Shadow Warriors.

Tiranoc Chariot.

Rare

Great Eagle.

1999 (1 point spare)

Grand total of 88 Models.

The Plan:

The Spear blocks are my main fighting unit, backed up (centrally) by the Phoenix Guard. The Spears can go 5x4 (plus 1 left over) if on the offensive, or 7x3 or 6x3 (with 3 left over) for the defensive - it's 18-21 attacks coming at any unit charging them. Should take out the front rank of most units.

The Phoenix Guard are there to take the charge from things like Chariots, where they actually do more damage than White Lions (as more of them survive the Impact Hits). Also provide a good guard for the foot Mage.

Prince wanders alone (very risky - uses these blocks to hide from enemy, and also terrain), to get the charge on approaching Monsters and Characters. Whilst only having a minor modifier to enemy armour saves [basic strength], the Foe Bane makes it VERY easy to wound Monsters (who will therefore die easy enough) or characters (who unfortunately have the armour - where the Talisman comes into play).

Dragon Princes and Silver Helms take a flank, the Silver Helms to re-direct enemy units wanting to pounce the (very powerful) Dragon Princes. Both these units can do damage on the charge, Princes more so - they'll tag-team most opponents as alone each will still struggle.

Archers sit behind the Cavalry (diagonally onto board) and cover the advance of the Infantry, and to protect flanks against things slipping round behind the Cav.

Chariot and Chariot Mage take the other flank. Can support the Infantry, or tag-team units by themselves. The Mage zips round frying stuff with Fire/Death/Beasts (depending on foe - usually Fire) magic.

Shadow Warriors and Eagle are there to assassinate enemy Mages, to give me an advantage in the Magic Phases, as well as to support the Chariots and the Cavalry.

My magic plan is this: Chariot Mage takes Fire Lore, or something equally destructive (Death/Shadow come to mind here), and nips around blasting off magic missiles. Chariot helps if I can't run away from an enemy unit (should be able to handle enemy fast cav, for example), and makes the Mage potent in combat (even though I don't really want to be stuck in). The foot Mage takes High Magic, and is primarily to use Drain Magic at the end of my phase to make things harder for the enemy. The idea is that the enemy has to either let the damage spells from the Chariot through, or take no damage but find it a lot harder to cast in their own phase.

What I'm not happy with:

Unsure if Dragon Princes fit my theme (my Lord is the "Dragon-slayer" after all), and the Pride of the Caledorians might prevent them from joining Nemo in his exile. Would Ellyrian Reavers fit the theme better (messengers between warbands, elected to loyally follow a repsected war leader they served for years)? Or should I try to shoe-horn the DP in purely because they are so good [without them I could take an extra Silver Helm and maybe a Shadow Warrior or two]?

Unsure on what Elite Infantry to take: Phoenix Guard can be from a Shrine to Asuryan somewhere within the New World that decide to follow Nemo for one reason or another, Swordmasters could be the bodyguard to Lathain, White Lions could have been bodyguards who swore a death-oath to protect Arhain when he was younger, and so are dragged into exile with him. Which do you reckon is more plausible for an anti-Nasty Thing unit (I went with PG as they are so tough-to-kill).

Might drop a Scroll on the foot Mage for the Ring of Corin. Enemy Dragon-riders (etc) seem to have no viable targets other than the mighty phalanx of Infantry, and so combining Corin + Prince could be nasty against any character that relies on magic weapons, such as Vampire Counts or rival Princes with Star Lance.

Well, what are your collective thoughts on this rambling - is the background logical, is the army list sound - does it fit a Nagarythe/Exlie theme, and are any of my pondered changes worthwhile?

Many thanks for your time reading this - I apologise that the background was so long - I got a bit carried away I think.

kroq'gar
20-05-2008, 13:48
You do realise you've made a hero as old as aenarion...

Foe bane harks back to the war against chaos, when elves were peaceful and without weapons. their first resistance was to take up the weapons of the deamons they faced, hence a chaos blade in the HE armoury.

Wheres Malkieth in all of this?

Apart from that looking sweet. If your keen on your background ditch the heavy cavalry and chariot, they are not the kind of thing to wash up on shore.

Pheonix guard should have a few more models to maximise fear's advantages, although again i dont see how they fit the background.

Seaguard might be worth a look at theme wise, as are reavers (use glade rider models and claim them mounted shadow warriors)

Also, are you sure you can take the chariot and chariot mage... the wording 'displacing one of the crew' indicates there must be a cremember to displace, hence you must laready have purchased a chariot.

Gimp
20-05-2008, 14:03
WoW

I really like the fluff of the list it was really cool.

You are right about the Dragon Princes drop them for some Reavers. They also hate Dark Elves and would be more than willing to kill some.

Not to sure about your Elite Infantry all 3 fit so use what you feel fits best. Personaly I like th eidea of the White Lions having to follow your Prince around maybe against their own will.

I would worry about leaving your Prince alone. If there is no shooting it should be finr but if there is lots of shooting place him in a unit and then charge out.

On a final note maybe give your Fire Mage in the chariot the seer staff so you can take the fire sword. Would make him a very cool chariot.

Treadhead_1st
20-05-2008, 16:38
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

@Kroq-gar:

Yeah, I realise the hero is old - but I didn't mean him to be the age of Aenarion [I think the confusion comes from me not realising the Foe Bane was that old - so I'll re-write that fluff piece - I haven't read much of the HE fluff other than the 7th Ed army book, so thought the Foe Bane was randomly found on a Chaos dude sometime after the sundering, etc]. Originally I planned to have Arhain/Nemo get wounded by Morathi at the same time that Eltharion got blinded by Malekith [hence Mal doesn't feature in the story - he was kinda busy in a duel], but since they got rid of that version of Eltharion...decided to tag him up with Alith Anar's background instead (and thus have more of a link to Nagarythe's history). So his age is more akin to Alith Anar's - not as old as Aenarion, but still older than an Elf alive in the current story line should be.

Mage can take a chariot, it's right there in the army book entry listing under "mounts". I can then take up to another 5 Chariots from the Special entries as well (no longer have to buy a Special one then stick a Mage in it).

I'm trying to shoe-horn the Chariots in purely because I like them (scenes from classical literature such as the Aeneid and the Odyssey) - logical justification: umm....elven timber floats well? [I admit it's a long shot]

How the Phoenix Guard fits is slightly easier - there must be some sort of Elven shrines somewhere in the Old World, from the time of the Elven empire-thing. So I reckoned there would be guardians of these Shrines [a role traditionally filled by the Phoenix Guard] - but see below...

@both:

I think I will replace the DP for Reavers then. As Kroq said, they'll be more likely to survive a shipwreck, and as Gimp said they'll hate DE enough to have tagged along inthe first place. Mounted Shadow Warriors [in theme] was a brilliant suggestion, thanks Kroq.

Will this affect the effectiveness a lot though? I still have the Silver Helms for beating on harder targets, and the Reavers for re-direction and flanking. I know statistically it's not as good, but do the applications of Fast Cavalry outweigh the loss of attacks from the DP?

Still unsure which Infantry to take - Phoenix Guard are durable, White Lions are strong, and Swordmasters are killing machines.

1) PG can takea heck of a lot of punishment.
2) White Lions can dish it out well, and are resilient to mundane Shooting too.
3) Swordmasters are target #1 thanks to their reputation, and aren't all that well armoured - not a particularly good bodyguard, no?

So I need to choose out of the PG and WL. Against Chariots they are equal (since more WL die to impact hits, and so have less/no attacks back. Fewer PG die, and so can inflict an equal amount of wounds- even at their Halberd-only strength.

The PG in small numbers is simply because a large regiment was too costly. And at this small size they can still take advantage of Fear - they may not have the "auto-break for outnumber" benefit, but they can still prevent a charge or force the enemy to be less likely to hit.

Not run the numbers against Monsters though. What do you think is going to be better in the long run?

@Gimp:

Originally the Elite Infantry were to be a bodyguard for the Prince, and the foot Mage was to go into one of the Spear units [who were naturally 1 man down], but I decided to go for two equal-sized Infantry units of equal cost. Should I just stick the Mage into one of the Spear units [without loosing a model] and then kick him out whenever Combat approaches?

Would leave room for the Prince in the Bodyguard then (and so he can nip off and kill things on his own when he ain't going to be pincussioned).

I thank you both for the thoughts so far (and the idea for mounted Shadow Warriors!)

++EDIT++

Also, do you tihnk the Lord is an effective foot-based Monster/Character-Slayer?

Are there any other configurations you would recommend for such a character (designed to take on Monsters when they are up close, seeing as I lack Both Throwers and the like)?

Treadhead_1st
20-05-2008, 21:27
And here's the edited list, with the Reavers in:

Lords

Prince [Arhain/Nemo]: Foe Bane, Dragon Armour, Enchanted Shield, Vambraces of Defence & Talisman of Loec.

Heroes

Mage: Level 2, Hand Weapon, Ring of Fury & Chariot.

Mage [Lathain]: Level 2, Hand Weapon, Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll.

Core

10 Archers.

Special

11 Elite Infantry: Standard Bearer & Banner of Sorcery.
227 (either PG or WL, see above post)

5 Silver Helms: Shields.

5 Ellyrian Reavers: Bows & Musician

5 Shadow Warriors.

5 Shadow Warriors.

Tiranoc Chariot.

Rare

Great Eagle.

1961 (39 to spend still)

One thing I worry about, is that the Reavers are almost as expensive as another SH unit! Should I take more Helms instead?

Also, though I admit this comes from watching too much LOTR recently, should I drop the Archer unit in favour of a mounted Noble to lead my Cavalry flank? 10 long-ranged str3 shots versus a combat boost - which do you think will be most usefull?

Noble would likely look like this: Blade of Sea Gold, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armour, Barded Warhorse - 155 points. To take on things such as Iron Breakers, rival Cavalry and other high-armoured foes [naturally I loose the Enchanted Shield on the Prince for a mundane one - I am content with a 4+(re-roll)/4++ on the Prince].

Is the Noble a good idea, or have I just been watching too many "Hero" films?