PDA

View Full Version : brett peasant heavy armies.

nurgle_boy
20-10-2005, 11:23
ok, ive had the idea floating around now for ages, and i think i may have to go ahead with it. it revolves around peasant, and big units of the buggers.

im thinking this for a list-
lord on foot, with specail gear, names 'soandso the empithetic)
BSB with the no ranks banner (representing swarming pesants) on foot.
smelly old hagX2 (damsel, lore of life)

5 knights (because i have to)
33peasants with polearms, shields, full command. the BSB and lord go here.
29 peasants with spears. a damsel here
29 peasants with spears, damsel here as well.

16 longbow peasants, with steaks (mm... meaty) and braziers
16 longbow peasants with steaks. and braziers
10 skirmishing longbow peasants
10 skirmishing longbow peasants

6 peasant cav
6 peasant cav
6 peasant cav
6 peasant cav

trebuchet
trebuchet

can i get this all into 2k? i know the peasant units work out at around.200pts each, the archers a little less, the cav cheap, the heros cheap (ok, th BSB is pretty costly), and the trebuchets arent too cheap...

still, would this work? it sort of relies on the big unit to casue damage, with the other two providing a little hitting power, a mage shield, andn ranks,. working with the fast cav to hit hard-ish.

the trebichets and archers sit back and pelt a bit, and hopefully survive.
big regenerating things, or flamable things are pretty nice targets for them, and they may be able to hold a cavalry charge (no lance bonus ect)... this does make it tempting to give them standards, and put them in 2 ranks of 8..

Vogon
20-10-2005, 11:40
Hi

I'm not sure but I thought you were only allowed one skirmishing unit of pesant bowmen.

The rest looks OK though could be a fun army both to play with and against.

Cheers

Vogon

Zeb
20-10-2005, 12:07
I sat around an worked out a list much like this, and I think that I ended up with only one trebuchet.

But I included a fighter in the knights... Since they were the best unit I had on the table, it seemed fair to have a "leader" in them.

TheDrugLordX
20-10-2005, 12:21
I think that would come around 2000pts, yes...

Though, some suggestions/thoughts:

You are not allowed to have more than one Skirmishing bowman unit.

I dunno about this, but are you really allowed to have Viritue of Empathy AND Banner of the Lady? Considering you haft to choose between Magic Items and a Magic Banner...

Split the bowmen units into 3 units to give you more flexibility.

I think that having a Grail Religue would be cool here, but I dunno...

Otherwise, it looks good. Though, dunno how it will perform:confused:

Inquisitor Maul
20-10-2005, 12:40
Ahhh, My hellcannon would have a field-day :D

T10
20-10-2005, 13:10
I dunno about this, but are you really allowed to have Viritue of Empathy AND Banner of the Lady? Considering you haft to choose between Magic Items and a Magic Banner...

The BattleStandard bearer can either take:

- Magic Items and Virtues up to 50 points (as per a normal Paladin).
- One banner (no points limit) and a Virtue. There may be a points limit on the virtue - I don't quite recall.

-T10

nurgle_boy
20-10-2005, 13:20
well, the virtue would only be 2Xpts (double the cost ofthe lords, of course)

as for a hellcannon having a field day... everythin within 12 using LD9. thats generaly 2-4 units.

as for the archers, ok, make that 4 units of stake-brazier archers. still, even mroe shooting!

chivalrous
20-10-2005, 13:29
well, the virtue would only be 2Xpts (double the cost ofthe lords, of course)

not necessarily.
the Lord could spend 20 points and the BSB could spend 10 (unless I've missed the section in the Bret book that tells you who has to pay the extra points)

TheDrugLordX
20-10-2005, 15:16
not necessarily.
the Lord could spend 20 points and the BSB could spend 10 (unless I've missed the section in the Bret book that tells you who has to pay the extra points)
Ofcourse you can do vice versa.

But I don't think you want to use 10extra pts on your lords allowance:D especially as the BSB can take those extra pts in his place and not lose any of mis magic pts allowance.

Griefbringer
20-10-2005, 15:35
5 knights (because i have to)

Well, you could always model them as peasants who have managed to grab an old nag and various pieces of rusty armour. Or perhaps use them to represent the Knights Who Say Ni! Or King Arthur with his retinue of coconut-clapping servants. :angel:

More seriously, I am not too convinced of the usefulness of the braziers - flammable or regenerating targets are not too common. But then again, the braziers are cheap and give some good modelling opportunities.

nurgle_boy
20-10-2005, 16:39
well, for 5 points a unit, its a worthwhile investment i say!

let me test these flaming attacks then...

GREIFBRINGER IS TEH ASS SUCK LOLBBQOMFG!!11!!1!

yep, well worth 5 points!... also, i fight a wwodies list with treekin and dryads, and ogre armies (that damn regen spell)

oh, and no offence to greifbringer. im just having a bit of fun! flames, flaming attacks, geddit?

Griefbringer
20-10-2005, 18:02
Flames and flaming attacks? You should get Tim the Sorceror for one of your damsels then! And don't forget to convert one of your trebuchets to use cows for ammo!

More seriously, if you are facing the Walking Forest of Flammable Doom army (aka Wood Elf forest spirits), then the brazier would definitely be a worthy investment.

Patriarch of Sigmar
24-10-2005, 05:59
The best use of the peasant cav is to redirect units, guard flanks, etc. for units of knights. They aren't great for other things, though two units would still be helpful for warmachine/wizard hunting and other tasks. I say, drop two units of peasant cav. and a unit of skirmishing archers (sicne the max. is 1) and replace them with a grail reliquary. It fits your theme nicely, is not seen on the table very often, and can hold up tough units for a turn while you bring up the other infantry to overwhelm your enemy.
Just a thought...

Crazy Harborc
24-10-2005, 19:40
I say find an opponent/friend who has a special army/units he wants to try. It looks like a fun army to me. Most likely it will "run away, run away"!! IF by chance the army WINS:eek: THAT battle will become one to be remembered and refought with words, beer and snacks for years.

billr
02-05-2006, 07:02
Did you ever try it?

oma
04-05-2006, 21:58
the no rank banner thing is realy just expensive, too expensive, its better to have him on horse with virtue of duty and warbanner, its the same CR just -1 CR against units with 3 ranks, but if you flank the unit with some of those yeomen, you will have +2 CR instead of a useless 100 points banner