PDA

View Full Version : Differing pursuit/flee rates in a unit

Toonces
21-05-2008, 01:19
Hi all,

I've plumbed the big book looking for the answer to this but I'm at a loss for an exact answer and, while I like to use the common sense approach, I try to stick to rules as written as closely as possibly since 'common sense' seems as varied and unpredictable as Wilford Brimley on pixie sticks.

If I have a character with a Movement trait higher than 6 in a unit of troops that have a Movement of 6 or less, it's clear that the character moves with the unit in the movement phase as per the rules on page 72, 73, and 74. That's all well and good.

How about in cases of fleeing and pursuit? I'll use the example of a mounted Empire General slumming with his swordsmen. If the unit is in close combat against one unit, and the General was engaged with that unit, do I roll 2d6 for the unit's pursuit distance and 3d6 for the General's pursuit distance? Same goes for fleeing - is it possible for the General to outpace his troops and survive while they're slaughtered?

I would assume that the answer is no - use the slowest M rate for ALL determinations of how many dice to roll and roll only once for the unit - as per page 74.

That said, page 74 covers characters/units in the movement phase - there's no ruling in the close combat rules for characters.

I oversaw a game where two players ruled that a fast character in a slow unit CAN roll 3d6 to pursuit... and I didn't feel extroverted enough to question them, nor did I know the rules well enough to even start a discussion (plus, it's their game, not mine - so why step in?). I did, however, raise a doubt in my mind so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.

Nurgling Chieftain
21-05-2008, 02:21
That said, page 74 covers characters/units in the movement phase - there's no ruling in the close combat rules for characters.That's not true at all!

A character cannot leave a unit that is fleeing (page 73, right column, second full paragraph). A character cannot leave a unit that is pursuing (page 74, left column, top).

...And, of course, the move of the combined unit is the lower value (page 74, left column, "Characters Moving With Units").

Bob the Butcher
24-05-2008, 00:44
The unit pursues as a unit at the slowest rate of pursuit.

FranticDaemon
24-05-2008, 01:04
The only exeption, AFAIR is OK Hunter's sabertusks due their special rules.

Toonces
24-05-2008, 03:22
The only exeption, AFAIR is OK Hunter's sabertusks due their special rules.

Okay... must have observed folks not knowing the rules as it was an Empire General stuck in with Swordsmen, not a Hunter with Sabertusks.

Thanks for the clarification.