PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Lord kit outs

Pooky
21-05-2008, 05:09
This thread is to find out what people use as the Chaos Lords, wether it be for fluff or gaming needs. (I'm not so interested in hearing about the oh-so-common Lash Prince.) Basically I was thinking fluff wise of a character that would not be so daemon inclinded, i.e. a DP. For example, a former SM Captain leaves the Imperium and wants to go his own way, like a Red Corsair. A possible kit out for him could be Jump Pack and Lightning claws. From there he could also have the MoS or MoK for the +1I or +1A.

Anyway, getting back to it, what Chaos LORD do you take? (NOT DP's or Sorceres).

northoceanbeach
21-05-2008, 05:47
I'm interested to read this myself, as I'm building a new Iron Warriors army and have been thinking about what would be the most appropriate HQ. I'm curious what other cults use as well.

Pika_power
21-05-2008, 06:11
Well apparently a lord on Disk of Tzeench with dual lightning claws is popular.

Thrax
21-05-2008, 06:46
I have one on a bike with a demon weapon, no mark. Raeksheol is a nasty fella!

TheOneWithNoName
21-05-2008, 06:52
The only Chaos Lord I ever take is one with Jump Pack, lightning claws, Mark of Khorne and melta bombs. Stick him in a unit of Raptors and have fun.

Reaver83
21-05-2008, 07:14
with the new models and the news of 'run', i'm converting a mok lord with jugger and bloodfeeder. max 18A!

Bloodknight
21-05-2008, 07:28
I use a Nurgle Lord with combimelta and Manreaper on foot, but I am thinking about giving him either a jumppack or a palanquin.

Vaktathi
21-05-2008, 07:51
Personally when I use lords I usually take a double LC termi lord with a mark of Khorne, or a Tzeentch Termi lord with a Daemon Weapon (for shooting power)

Griffin
21-05-2008, 07:53
Chaos Sorceror With Terminator Armor, Doombolt.

Chaos Lord with Terminator Armor. No Other upgrades.

Chaos Lord with Mark of Tzeentch, Terminator Armor, Daemon Weapon. Imagine this guy In Black Legion colors, with the Balrog from Lord of the Rings flaming sword for a "Death Screamer" Conversion.

Most of My HQ Options are in Terminator Armor as they use the Black Legion tactic of ripping out the enemy's throat. Teleporting Termies :)

I allso use a Chaos Lord with bike + Twin Lightning Claws.

Hmmmmm, Who needs Lash princes ?

Kurisu313
21-05-2008, 08:15
My lord revolves around the fluff that he was a captain who accidentally found a daemon weapon which then went on to corrupt him.

Basically, he's fighting a daemon in a temple. The daemon backhands him, sending his sword flying and he lands next to an altar. In desperation, he grasps behind him until his fingers close on something. He lashes out and the daemon's head is severed. He looks down and sees that he is holding a pitch black sword and for reasons he can't quite articulate, he keeps it....dun dun DUN...

So my chaos lord is always given an unmarked daemon sword, but then his other wargear depends on how far along his 'career path' he is.

To start with he has power armour and a plasma pistol
Later he is forged a suit of terminator armour and a combi-melta
Finally, he's a DP

Additionally I've got a chaos lord with the mark of khorne to represent the company chaplain, with a dark crozius (power weapon) and wings.

And I will get a sorcerer to be a librarian but I haven't got round to it yet.

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
21-05-2008, 09:14
Chaos Lord with the following:
-Jump Pack
-Daemon Weapon

unreliable, expensive, but fun to use :)

MoT with Disk and LC's sound worth their price more, but i stick to my fluff [no lash, no mark of chaos beside MoK on raptors to show their 'veteran' status, very few power fists]

brambleten
21-05-2008, 10:25
my choas lord sort of represents Tellos from the Soul Drinkers if he had got further down teh line to chaos before being killed.
Chaos Lord with Jump pack, Mark of Korne and Daemon Weapon. he goes in a unit of raptors which also has mark of khorne. very fun to use

Gen.Steiner
21-05-2008, 10:26
Chaos Lord with Mark of Slaanesh, Lightning Claws, Terminator Armour and Personal Icon. Works out at 140 points and he gets a five-strong Terminator bodyguard too. :)

Pooky
21-05-2008, 10:51
Personally when I use lords I usually take a double LC termi lord with a mark of Khorne, or a Tzeentch Termi lord with a Daemon Weapon (for shooting power)

Just curious, how do you get him into combat? Do you DS him or Land Raider rush the enemy? Also, how many points do you field him in?

MaliGn
21-05-2008, 11:06
Mine is a Dark Apostle of the Word Bearers, I think I will be using him with Power Armour, the Mark of Tzeentch (Dark Rosarius counts as), Plasma Pistol, Personal Icon and Power Weapon.

mistformsquirrel
21-05-2008, 11:35
My Chaos is simply a counts-as for a Lost Legion (using the Chaos book for a number of reasons; equipment being the number 1); so the marks and everything are 'counts-as'.

Heavy Refractor Field (Counts-as Mark of Tzeentch), an Artificer Stormbolter and Opus Imperator, a power sword. (They count as a Daemon Weapon of Tzeentch, one for the shooting side of it, the other as the melee combat side)

As for the "Smack yourself in the face" part, the Stormbolter is ancient and also one of a kind - so I consider it to have what amounts to a super-charged "Gets Hot" rule; while the sword itself is just a power weapon, but the wielder suffers from either a curse, poison or disease (I have yet to decide yet) that continuously weighs on their stamina.

I'm iffy on Terminator armor or not - the extra protection is nice, but on the other hand getting hit by a daemon weapon wielding character has a pretty good chance of breaking most enemies in a single charge, and it'd be a shame not to be able to mop them up.

I'm also questioning Jump Pack or no... on the one hand, I can easily justify the jump pack in other ways that fit the character a little better... but on the other hand, its more points spent on a single character, and the army is terminator heavy, which means points are at a premium.

So basically, as it stands today... Mark of Tzeentch, Daemon Weapon. Though by the time I build the character for real, that might well all change. (I'm still questioning also if perhaps a Sorcerer with Warp Time might be a better choice)

Pooky
21-05-2008, 11:44
I use a Nurgle Lord with combimelta and Manreaper on foot, but I am thinking about giving him either a jumppack or a palanquin.

Manreaper or Plaguebearer? (Manreaper doesn't exist in this current codex)

Lycannus
21-05-2008, 11:46
I have several Chaos Armies, and i use...

Tzeentch
- Sorceror in terminator armor
- Lord on bike with daemon weapon
- (For apocalypse) Lord with lightning claws in terminator armor (To lead the termi formation)

Nurgle
- Typhus

Khorne
- Lord in terminator armor, combi melta and daemon weapon. (This is my overkill lord for large battles, as he leads a squad of Khorne Terminator champions)
- Kharn

Slaanesh
- Lord with daemon weapon

plus assorted greater daemons and FW Greater daemons.

but no princes, i prefer the image of my leaders actually leading.

Dragonlover
21-05-2008, 11:48
The Flamelord: Daemon Weapon and power armour, no mark.
Serjius the Ranting: Twin Lightning Claws, power armour, Mark of Khorne
Dmitri: Palanquin of Nurgle, power armour, Mark of Nurgle (technically my sorceror, but he could be used as a Lord)
J'davizz: Juggernaut, Bloodfeeder, Mark of Khorne

I tend to mix and match them up depending on what I feel will be most useful/who I feel like using.

Dragonlover

Koryphaus
21-05-2008, 11:51
I take a Word Bearers Koryphaus (see the book Dark Apostle), he always has a daemon weapon and power armour, no Mark. I have a sorcerer with wings, I have a terminator lord with power/daemon weapon and combimelta. I also have a bp force weapon sorcerer on foot. I try and take as few upgrades as possible, so I can take more Word Bearers, and get my squads up to that mythical number of 12 marines each..

ghost23
21-05-2008, 11:54
I have 3 chaos lords, all devoted to great grandfather nurgle, a normal lord on power armour with combi melta/powerfist which i use in 1000pt games along with loads of plague marines, next up is a terminator lord(actually the typhus model) with a daemon weapon(which is for medium to large games) and next up is the daemon prince(which is coming in post along with his wings) which is the nurgle daemon prince model(which looks awesome) which will have to all to common warptime power.

Mercer
21-05-2008, 12:12
Lord in Terminator armour with Daemon weapon and twin linked bolter. I stick the Lord with the Terminators so they provide support, and then the Lord can pile in with the Daemon weapon.

Lord costs about 145 points I think.

Mercer

Tommygun
21-05-2008, 12:12
I use a regular Nugle lord in terminator armor. The armor is completely magnetized so I can change out his weapons and personal icons as needed.

Sideros Peltarion
21-05-2008, 12:22
I play Iron Warriors and following the theme of threes, my Grand Company is split up into 3 parts. Each of these is under the command of a lesser lord which are as follows:
Lord MoT, Daemon Weapon (together to count as the Kai Gun he used to use)
Lord with power weapon and combi-bolter (my cheap version for small battles)
Lord jump pack, twin lightning claws and melta bombs (goes with the Raptors)

Then for my Warsmith I use the rules for Abbs but modeled him with twin Daemonic lightning claws instead of claw with DW extra.

Madfool2
21-05-2008, 12:26
I used to run a nurgle terminator lord armed with twin LC's, he went along with a 4 man bodyguard of nurgle terminators.

However, for my Dragon warriors, I aim to have a lord in terminator armour with combi-flamer and power sword, because everyone loves fire!

He'll also be supported by a 4 man bodyguard of terminators, armed with combi meltas, one will have a heavy flamer for the sake of BBQ ork in the morning! :D

He who is doom
21-05-2008, 12:28
i have 2 lords

the first i Yuri Christikov a terminator lord with lightning claws, mark of undivided
the khorne lord (his name) a lord with lightning claws, wings, and mok
those at this point are my only lords that i can tell here

Arkzein
21-05-2008, 13:46
Never much been a fan of daemon Princes and hence have never used one. My current Lord (Slaanesh) has wings and Lightning claws. or Terminator Armour and Lightning claws and an old one on foot (That I like the look of just) which I'll likely make a sorcerer with a force weapon.

Have to admit in game terms the most used (wings and claws) becomes a bit redundant with fists and klaws everywhere, kills a few enemies and then gets instant killed usually. I've taken to counting him as a winged sorcerer and hunting characters with the force weapon.

visage13
21-05-2008, 13:50
I play a very fluffy Word Bearers list, so my Dark Apostle is Undivided with Personal Icon and Daemon Weapon. I have a couple variations, one on foot, one in terminator armor, one with wings, and one on a bike to use however my list needs him.

Fenriz
21-05-2008, 13:50
For the list iv just written up my Lord just gets a Power Fist aside from his basic gear.

Iv never been one for fancy HQ choices, id rather use the points on troops.

Shibboleth
21-05-2008, 15:45
Termi-Armour and Double Chainfist, 'coz it looks cool. :cool:

Plus he has a personal icon, and a combi-flamer, 'coz I wanted to do the conversion with an old plastic flame-pistol on the new combi-bolter (getting rid of that oversized bayonet-blade thingy).

Democratus
21-05-2008, 16:30
Termi-Armour and Double Chainfist, 'coz it looks cool. :cool:

Plus he has a personal icon, and a combi-flamer, 'coz I wanted to do the conversion with an old plastic flame-pistol on the new combi-bolter (getting rid of that oversized bayonet-blade thingy).

What is a "Double Chainfist"? I don't see that option in the entry for the Chaos Lord. :confused:

Gen.Steiner
21-05-2008, 16:36
He means the chainfist with two chainblades on it. It's a modelling thing, not actually a piece of wargear - it's just a chainfist with more blades! :D

Raven1
21-05-2008, 16:40
I run with a demon prince all the way.
with wings, and the MoK.

I might use something else, but I already have the demon prince, I don't really want to change.

Thoth62
21-05-2008, 17:35
Chaos Lord with the following:
-Jump Pack
-Daemon Weapon

unreliable, expensive, but fun to use :)

YES!

I take that one occasionally too. Except he usually also gets the Mark of Khorne.

Very unreliable, but loads of fun to use. He's never on his own though. Always has a squad with him to help out when he's unable to attack due to rolling 1's.

philbrad2
21-05-2008, 17:44
Warsmith with deamon weapon, bolter/melta , personal icon and melta bombs usually does the trick ...

Strange thing is the same guy in termi armour and fit out without the melta bombs is only 5pts more ... go figure!

PhilB
:chrome:

solvay
21-05-2008, 17:49
when i use a lord i either use
khorne lord wiv l claws (converted from metal raptor champion and fantasy herald)
Khorne lord wiv deamon weapon on juggernaught

Firaxin
21-05-2008, 20:10
Is there a difference between daemon wings and a jump pack? I mean obviously there's an aesthetic difference, but is there a difference rules wise? I thought they both just made the lord a jump infantry.

Vaktathi
21-05-2008, 20:39
Is there a difference between daemon wings and a jump pack? I mean obviously there's an aesthetic difference, but is there a difference rules wise? I thought they both just made the lord a jump infantry.

Until the recent FAQ there was no difference, however the FAQ decided for some reason that Wings do not make models actually "Jump Infantry", and thus a model with wings can be put into a transport for instance.

EVIL INC
21-05-2008, 20:54
I simply do not use the mark of slannesh whether it be the daemon prince (very fluffy, more so then a lord in the case of my chaos army's fluff) or chaos lord, so no lash in any of my armies ever. Period.
As to what I take, I usually flip fop between DP and lord. Both, I usually give the mark of tzeentch. The lord I give the mark of tzeentch, power weapon (sometimes plasma pistal as well) and trade off between doom bolt or bolt of change. I dont bother taking 2 powers. Once in a while, I will go with wings so that he can join my raptors.

DrDoom
21-05-2008, 21:16
YES!

I take that one occasionally too. Except he usually also gets the Mark of Khorne.

Very unreliable, but loads of fun to use. He's never on his own though. Always has a squad with him to help out when he's unable to attack due to rolling 1's.

That's my current favorite too. The Lords just a ton of fun and can dish out some massive pain. It funny to watch a 10 man Assault Marine Squad just disappear after he attacks.

MrBigMr
21-05-2008, 21:25
How does one define a Chaos Lord, since in 40K I am at the moment working on two Chaos armies, none made with the CSM codex simply because to me it sucks donkey balls (yes, it works and has this and that, but to me it's unimaginative and boring).

But ok, army No. 1, SM codex (and not even Marines in fluff):
Terminator armour, Lightning Claw(s?), Storm Bolter (all depends on what the new codex allows).

The model is a Grey Knight terminator sergeant with Talon of Horus with a wrist mounted psycannon (sonic blaster = storm bolter) and the old metal terminator lord claw as the left arm. Still don't know wheter or not to add a plume to the helmet or drill it out and put the lord bare headed. So far haven't found a head that'd do justice to him.

Army No. 2, Tau Empire codex (yes, Chaos Tau, just because I can and it'll cause nerd rage):
XV8 suit, Shas'vre upgrade (since this is only a CP army, I can only have Elite suits), TL Plasma Rifle, Stimulant Injector, Targeting Array.

An XV8 suit with the rifles either on the shoulder or on the wrists so that they turn away when not needed, allowing the hands to use swords with ease. Add plenty of fancy bits and such.

Torga_DW
21-05-2008, 21:28
Sorceror with termie armour, warptime, bolt of change, mark of tzeentch. My fluff is that he was one of the sorcerors that helped ahriman cast the rubric, and is still looking for ways to replicate and enhance the spell.

21-05-2008, 21:39
YES!

yeah! he is even more fun to use :D

1/3 to kill himself / 2/3 to kill a squad :D

but mine fare so far well.

single handy he slaughtered in 2 rounds of combat 15 Dark Eldar warriors. quite the achivment ;)

adreal
21-05-2008, 22:33
Lord, MoS, Blissgiver, Combi plasma

He works okay, but I usually use a DP with wings, warptime and MoS.....mainly because I can't roll to hit or wound with my HQ's so I need the warptime re-rolls

Oh and greater daemons are also fairly fun to use

Pooky
22-05-2008, 03:35
I allso use a Chaos Lord with bike + Twin Lightning Claws.

Is that legal? I thought you need 1 hand free to ride the bike, or am I still stuck in an old ed of the rules? :confused:

Pooky
22-05-2008, 06:03
So, how affective is a Lord on Bike with a DW? I've seen a few people post it here. Did you make a Lord on bike for fun or was it a competitive choice?

Gen.Steiner
22-05-2008, 07:34
I'm glad that the Pantokrator is unique - at least according to this thread at any rate!

jhon
22-05-2008, 08:12
nurgle lord on bike with combi melta and menreaper , T 6 , D6+ 3 poison attack ... sweet dog ...

J-L
22-05-2008, 08:53
I'm in the process of starting a fallen angel renegades army (bought most of the models), and to keep the lord cheap I'll give him power weapon and a combi-melta.

DantesInferno
22-05-2008, 09:03
But ok, army No. 1, SM codex (and not even Marines in fluff):
Terminator armour, Lightning Claw(s?), Storm Bolter (all depends on what the new codex allows).

The model is a Grey Knight terminator sergeant with Talon of Horus with a wrist mounted psycannon (sonic blaster = storm bolter) and the old metal terminator lord claw as the left arm. Still don't know wheter or not to add a plume to the helmet or drill it out and put the lord bear headed. So far haven't found a head that'd do justice to him.

:eek:

Nasty mutation...

MrBigMr
22-05-2008, 09:14
Hardy-har-har... It's not easy being a dyslexic non-English speaking bastard on the internets.

Gen.Steiner
22-05-2008, 10:00
Shame it was just a typo. I think a bear-headed Chaos Lord would be bloody awesome.

22-05-2008, 10:07
Shame it was just a typo. I think a bear-headed Chaos Lord would be bloody awesome.

yeah. IMO 10/10 in awersomnes rating !

MaliGn
22-05-2008, 10:09
I take a Word Bearers Koryphaus (see the book Dark Apostle), he always has a daemon weapon and power armour, no Mark.
I'm planning on building a Koryphaus of my own, if we could still have Leiutenants he'd be one of them as it is he'll be a second Lord wearing Terminator Armour and Twin Lightning Claws, and run him with a squad of terminators and a Land Raider I think. Possibly it'll be for larger or smaller games, and the Apostle only taking the field in the middle ground and bigger games.

Irisado
22-05-2008, 10:19
As a Word Bearers player, my Chaos Lord (Varzak - for those who are interested in names) is equipped in a style which fits the background.

I simply arm him with a Daemon Weapon, a Personal Icon, and a Plasma Pistol. I don't ever give him a mark, as this would remove his undivided status, which would go against the background of the Word Bearers in my opinion.

He's not the most powerful Chaos Lord out there, but mounted with a squad of Chaos Space Marines in a Rhino, I nearly always manage to get him into combat without any problems.

Gen.Steiner
22-05-2008, 10:41
Quick Query - do any Word Bearers players still use their fallen Chaplains?

=Angel=
22-05-2008, 10:54
Thousand Sons : I have a guy holding a old grey knight halberd (one with the built in bolt pistol) standing on a chaos icon from warhammer. The other hand just gestures :D

I run him as either
a Lord with mark of Tzeentch, Disc of tzeentch and deathscreamer
or:
Sorceror with mark of T, Disc of tzeentch and Bolt of change.

The lord is by ar the most cost effective option, plus its a helluva lot of fun zooming around throwing a dice each turn to see if he's going to fire a torrent of shots , cough out two or three, or shoot himself in the foot :D

He was doing so well- the most epic charge evar!!!111 and then I rolled a one for his DW attacks.. so he basically threw himself into a pile of wyches.

MaliGn
22-05-2008, 13:52
Quick Query - do any Word Bearers players still use their fallen Chaplains?

I do my best... this is why I'm thinking of using the Mark of Tzeentch, since under the old rules for Dark Apostles they got a 4+ invulnerable save as a part of their Accursed Croziuses - similar to the Rosarius save Chaplains get. It's a Counts As scenario sure, but so long as that's clear then it seems all fair to me, he's not actually Marked by Tzeentch, it's just the only way to represent his equipment in the current codex. I'll give it a whirl both ways to see if it's worth the points, however, I still have to build the rest of the army for him to go with and play some games. There's a shot of the model in my log, linked in my sig.

Incidentally, there do seem to be quite a lot of Word Bearers Generals posting in this thread, interesting.

EVIL INC
22-05-2008, 14:04
I do my best... this is why I'm thinking of using the Mark of Tzeentch, since under the old rules for Dark Apostles they got a 4+ invulnerable save as a part of their Accursed Croziuses - similar to the Rosarius save Chaplains get. It's a Counts As scenario sure, but so long as that's clear then it seems all fair to me, he's not actually Marked by Tzeentch, it's just the only way to represent his equipment in the current codex. I'll give it a whirl both ways to see if it's worth the points, however, I still have to build the rest of the army for him to go with and play some games. There's a shot of the model in my log, linked in my sig.

Incidentally, there do seem to be quite a lot of Word Bearers Generals posting in this thread, interesting.
A great example of a player using the new codex as it was intended. It is not a matter of "counts as", it is a matter of using your intelligence and imagination to effectively use the codex effectively rather then sitting and crying about how it does not cater to your every personal need. Good job. :)

Thoth62
22-05-2008, 14:23
yeah! he is even more fun to use :D

1/3 to kill himself / 2/3 to kill a squad :D

but mine fare so far well.

single handy he slaughtered in 2 rounds of combat 15 Dark Eldar warriors. quite the achivment ;)

My best was killing an entire unit of genestealers on his own. He got charged, and he was in cover, so striking first. I rolled an 11 for my extra attacks. Killed all 12 before they got a chance to hit me.

It's times like those that I really really don't mind the ones that pop up from time to time.

Pooky
23-05-2008, 08:05
So... it seems to be an even spread if kit outs. Between Jump Pack, Termie Armor and only a few went Bike. Also, people seemed to like paired Lightning Claws and Daemon Weapon... Thanks for the input! :)

Griffin
23-05-2008, 08:42
Is that legal? I thought you need 1 hand free to ride the bike, or am I still stuck in an old ed of the rules? :confused:

Aparantly it's legal now.

There's no restriction on hand's to steer the bike.

jhon
24-05-2008, 03:18
My best was killing an entire unit of genestealers on his own. He got charged, and he was in cover, so striking first. I rolled an 11 for my extra attacks. Killed all 12 before they got a chance to hit me.

It's times like those that I really really don't mind the ones that pop up from time to time.

well... how often this happen ? :eyebrows:

Griffin
24-05-2008, 07:29
Pretty often if you use Mark of Khorne, jhon.