PDA

View Full Version : Some newbie Empire rule questions.

Fluffy
21-05-2008, 11:02
Hello guys.

I'm rather new to the whole warhammer business, but I've got a few questions about Empire.

I've always found the Empire armies to be rather charming and stylish - but there's two things I find a bit weird.
I havn't played Empire yet, and I don't have the book - but I saw this fella at my local GW shop playing with a (I don't know if I heard it right) "popemobile" :wtf: and a tank.

I don't know if I heard it right as I said, but as I understood it, it was a special chariot with a level 4 mage on top of it.

Now, that level 4 mage cast tons of magics each turn (that was easily dispelled but didn't require any dice to cast) and two of those spells he cast seemed outright crazy. One could (as far as I understood) heal all the wounds on the tank (which didn't take alot of spank anyway) and one which he cast several times during the game on his super chaingun-canon-warmachine-thingy on a hill, made it reroll failed rolls to hit and failed rolls to wound.
That thing crushed like 75% of a big regiment in one round :eek:

And that tank! So the other player charged the flank of the tank with a bunch of orc cavalry (which didn't seem too smart considering what that tank did to those poor orcs) and did like, one wound. Then, that crazy thing of a tank turned around and crushed those orcs unlike anything I've ever seen in my very short career. He did around 10 dice of str 6 HITS on that unit!

So here's my questions:

A. Can a level 4 empire mage on a "popemobile" cast spells without and range restrictions? He used it on the cainguncannon which was like 30 inch away. How does those spells work?

B. How much spank can that tank do in close combat every turn? Is there no restrictions? How does it work? From what I saw there probably isn't a regiment in the whole of warhammer that would stand a chance against that tank in close combat!

Mmh... that chariot looked cool and stylish but I can't say I like the tank very much. It's fantasy game, what's up with tanks?

Commodus Leitdorf
21-05-2008, 11:32
Well for starters, The Arch Lector (the guy on the popemobile) isn't a level 4 mage. Hes kinda somewhere in between. He can cast 2 bound spells and the War altar (the pope Mobile) can cast one spell. So not nescessarily tons but a few, though most are remains in play, so if he cast one then another one it cancels the effect of the one he cast previously.

And now on to the horrible cheating this guy was doing!

1. The Arch Lector cannot heal the tank, he can only cast his spells on characters or unit champions, neither of which the Steam tank is.

2. The Arch Lector cannot cast the re-roll ability on warmachines, once again only on characters. Even if you cast it on an Engineer manning the artillery you cannot use it (this was cleared up in the recent FAQ).

3. As far as the Steam Tank goes it can only attack in his own turn as it needs to generate Steam points to do anything and that can only happen in his turn, not the opponents....though the damage output the tank can do with enough steam point generated is accurate.

and now for your questions

A. no, the Arch Lector has a range of 12 inchs for his spells...once again, he was cheating.

B. It cant dish out damage every turn, only during your own turn. The Steam tank can be deadly, but its mostly just an expensive tarpit.

Fluffy
21-05-2008, 11:47
Aaah, great - I'll be sure to throw rocks at him the next time I see him!

I talked about this to a friend that has played warhammer a bit longer that I have, he didn't know anything about the spells the arch lector has, but he was under the impression that you can only do that amount of damage with the Tank when it charged you. After that it could only do one impact each turn.

But I guess he was wrong :-)

Anyways, thanks a bunch for the answer - this really clear some things up! :-)

andy10k
21-05-2008, 13:33
There is no spell that can heal wounds on the STank, only healing spells available (the prayers of sigmar and ones from lore of life etc) can only be cast on US1 models/unit champions/characters.

Also the re-roll to hit and wound thing i presume was cast on an Engineer which was attached to the Helblaster, well that can't be done any more since they FAQ'd it.

Jedi152
21-05-2008, 13:40
Just to re-iterate what Commodus says, the 'popemobile' is an Arch Lector of Sigmar on a War Alter.

It has the nickname 'popemobile' because the Grand Theogonist (the character on which the model is based) is the Empire equivalent of the Pope - he's the head of the Sigmarite religion.

The Steam Tank is indeed a tank powered by steam. Only 8 of them exist and they're considered marvels of the modern human world.

The Red Scourge
21-05-2008, 13:42
1. The Arch Lector cannot heal the tank, he can only cast his spells on characters or unit champions, neither of which the Steam tank is.

The stank is a unit, just like massed troops or single characters. A unit is defined by a group (1+) of models.

So he is perfectly able to target the stank with his heal spell except of course for the fact that the stank is immune to magic to any form of magic without a strength :p

Braad
21-05-2008, 14:02
A stank is indeed a unit, but he is neither a champion nor a character. So if Commodus has his rules right, and the spell can only be targeted at champions or characters, then this excludes the STank.

The Red Scourge
22-05-2008, 15:24
A stank is indeed a unit, but he is neither a champion nor a character. So if Commodus has his rules right, and the spell can only be targeted at champions or characters, then this excludes the STank.

Sadly Commodus isn't right. The spell unfortunately targets models :rolleyes:

Commodus Leitdorf
22-05-2008, 20:44
Sadly Commodus isn't right. The spell unfortunately targets models :rolleyes:

yes it targets models, but the only models it may target are "the priest himself, or any character or unit champion within 12 inches" Its written at the bottom of the paragraph just before the War Altar of Sigmar section.

Masque
23-05-2008, 00:12
You guys are talking about different spells. The prayers can only be cast on characters and champions but the Lore of Light spell, Healing Energy can be cast on any friendly model. It doesn't have any effect on war machines though.

Nurgling Chieftain
23-05-2008, 06:04
...Plus, Steam Tanks are immune to most magic anyway.

Bringer of the red dawn
23-05-2008, 12:46
The Arch lector can cast his "incantation" prayers that are bound spells, and the Jade griffing can cast a spell form the Lore of Light ( i think its randomized) and is a bound spell, so its possible that the Lore of light spell that heals could target the Stank, but i dont think so, Becuase, its immune to magic with no strength. SO STOP BICKERING, it doesnt matter if the spell can target the tank, its immune to those kinds of magic,, and think about it, its a tank, magic aint healing it.

As for the steam tank, it is beastly and can rip through entire ranks of troops in combat( via steam gun and D3 hits per steam point used this way. The problem with the steam tank is this. its form of generrating power
to generate steam points, declare how many u want to generate, and roll a D6, and add the two numbers, if the total is above your number of wounds, you loose wounds equal to how many you were over, it has 10 wounds max. if you roll equal to or under, that amount of steam points are gennerated, and each one can be used to mave it 3", shoot its steam gun (1pt) and or fire the cannon ( 2 pts), or do impact hits ( 1 per D3). the reason im saying this is that a good cannon shot will inflict a wound or two, and even though it has 10 wounds, as soon as it takes 2 wounds, the thing starts to kill itself.

As for taking out the "gatling gun" he could have used the cannon in the S tank, or the Jade griffins spells, but this guys was deffinately cheating

Faustburg
23-05-2008, 12:59
to generate steam points, declare how many u want to generate, and roll a D6, and add the two numbers, if the total is above your number of wounds, you loose wounds equal to how many you were over, it has 10 wounds max.

You lose 1 wound, not "how many you were over"...