PDA

View Full Version : do large targets have LOS to back rank?

Milgram
21-05-2008, 14:24
title says it.

situation 1: GD of tzeentch with the tier 3 spell (traitorous magic?) tries to cast at a bretonnian damsel.
situation 2: GD of tzeentch stands behind a unit and wants to cast the same spell on a caster standing in the front rank.

I think this would be ok, right?

Nurgling Chieftain
21-05-2008, 16:35
Yes, that works, just like rear rank archers can fire at a large target, a large target can potentially pick off models in the back of a unit.

Braad
21-05-2008, 17:45
Same goes for models on a hill too.

Though now I'm wandering, how would this be for a giant that is looking at a unit on a hill that is about as high as his head?...

Griefbringer
21-05-2008, 17:52
how would this be for a giant that is looking at a unit on a hill that is about as high as his head?...

I think this goes to the category "please discuss the exact effects of terrain with your opponent before the game".

Tuch
21-05-2008, 23:36
Same goes for models on a hill too

Actually missile troops on a hill may only fire with their first two ranks, nothing more. BRB page 26

Braad
22-05-2008, 07:24
What I meant is that models on a hill act sort of like a large target.
The unit below can see them with all models, and the unit on the hill can see all ranks.

xragg
22-05-2008, 12:43
Strictly by the rules, every rank can on a hill can see a large target and vice versa. I can understand how some think a unit on a hill is similar to a large target, that is even supported by the rule that every rank of a unit not on a hill can shoot at targets on a hill.

Bob the Butcher
24-05-2008, 00:34
As far as I know you cannot target a specific model in a unit unless the spell specifically says so. So a Bretonnian Damsel could not be singled out of a unit of knights.

However if casting your spell into a unit with a Large target like the Slaan (Toad) in the Lizardman army you can then direct your spell at this larger Model.

Nurgling Chieftain
24-05-2008, 06:29
As far as I know you cannot target a specific model in a unit unless the spell specifically says so. So a Bretonnian Damsel could not be singled out of a unit of knights.The point of the question was the fact that even a spell which singles out a model in LOS cannot usually hit the damsel because the damsel is in the middle of the unit and therefore not in LOS. If the caster is a Large Target, he gets around that problem.