PDA

View Full Version : the end of "Legion" *SPOILER ALERT*

Victomorga
21-05-2008, 18:39
*THIS THREAD IS WRITTEN ASSUMING YOU HAVE READ ALL THE HH BOOKS*

So, I finished Legion recently, and liked it more or less, but took issue with the ending and would like to hear other peoples' thoughts.

1) doesn't it seem kind of impossible that there would be a "twin primarch?" how could this remain a well-guarded secret when the emperor created the primarchs, and they were being actively sought-out during the great crusade?

2) I thought it seemed unlikely that the shrewdest and most suspicious of the primarchs took a federation of xenos at their word when told they had to destroy the human race. the first thing I thought when I read this was that the cabal just wanted to cut their losses and gave up on humans. they clearly took a dim view of the human race. did anyone else think that they tricked the alpha legion?

3) why wouldn't alpha/omega: A) try to talk to horus about this; B) try to arrange for the cabal to show the emperor what they showed him; C) take a more subtle and characteristic approach to turning on the imperium D) try to rally other primarchs?

4) was anyone else bothered by the idea that a regular SM could ever pass themselves off as a primarch, when they are usually at least a head shorter?

and before I spark a flame war, as I said above I liked the book. I just want to know if any of this seemed ill-concieved to anyone else, or if there are explainations to some of this stuff that just never occured to me.

Tiller5
21-05-2008, 19:55
I thought that Alpharius and Omegon were identifiable because they were just that bit taller than their battle-brothers?

Meh, I like the idea that they are all Alpharius, seems to emphasise the brotherhood nature of the Astartes, and the confusing nature of the legion.

Wazzahamma
22-05-2008, 08:04
1) doesn't it seem kind of impossible that there would be a "twin primarch?" how could this remain a well-guarded secret when the emperor created the primarchs, and they were being actively sought-out during the great crusade?

Popular theory has it that the 'twinning' occured after the primarchs were scattered to the warp. Much like Sanguinius' wings.

2) I thought it seemed unlikely that the shrewdest and most suspicious of the primarchs took a federation of xenos at their word when told they had to destroy the human race. the first thing I thought when I read this was that the cabal just wanted to cut their losses and gave up on humans. they clearly took a dim view of the human race. did anyone else think that they tricked the alpha legion?

We don't know how powerful and convincing the final vision from the acuity was. For a primarch as unflappable as Alpha/Omegon to be reduced to a screaming mess...it must have been overwhelming.

3) why wouldn't alpha/omega: A) try to talk to horus about this; B) try to arrange for the cabal to show the emperor what they showed him; C) take a more subtle and characteristic approach to turning on the imperium D) try to rally other primarchs?

Again, hard to know without the specifics of the vision. Perhaps it was a matter of urgency, perhaps all of those options you describe would have taken too long? Maybe talking to other primarchs/Emperor opened up too many variables. Perhaps they felt they were the only ones they could trust to do the job.

4) was anyone else bothered by the idea that a regular SM could ever pass themselves off as a primarch, when they are usually at least a head shorter?

Well, the stand-in was supposed to be gigantic (even for a marine). So let's say he was half a head shorter than a Alpha/Omegon. He also wore terminator armour to further augment his bulk and height, which we could argue made him passable for a primarch.

The regular SMs passing for Alpharius relied solely on the idea of doing so only in front of people who had never seen a primarch before, so that's not so hard to swallow.

Necronartum
22-05-2008, 08:19
What Wazzahamma has said basically sums it up. Just to add my cents as well.

1) The whole principle of the Alpha Legion is deception and guile. For a legion who bases its entire combat and approach to life using those principles, it would not be unreasonable to expect them to easily keep this secret. One can only assume that when Primarchs met, only one of them ever appeared.

2) Lets remember that the Alpha Legion pride themselves on knowledge. Despite being Space Marines, they are I would imagine more 'worldly'. Ultimately, we can only assume two options as far as the Acuity goes. Firstly, that the Alpha Legion had prior knowledge or experience of the Acuity and knew it never to be false. Secondly, they believe this to be the case, but are fooled. The issue as to whether the Cabal are actually Chaos in origin is never mentioned. Regardless of being tricked or not, the book certainly implies that whatever the reason, they do it for the right one --- For the Emperor.

3) Approaching to rally other Primarchs could have easily seen those they approached remain loyal and flee to Terra to inform the Emperor. As for talking to Horus, they only knew he would turn and must rally to him.

Victomorga
22-05-2008, 15:19
Popular theory has it that the 'twinning' occured after the primarchs were scattered to the warp. Much like Sanguinius' wings.

We don't know how powerful and convincing the final vision from the acuity was. For a primarch as unflappable as Alpha/Omegon to be reduced to a screaming mess...it must have been overwhelming.

Well, the stand-in was supposed to be gigantic (even for a marine). So let's say he was half a head shorter than a Alpha/Omegon. He also wore terminator armour to further augment his bulk and height, which we could argue made him passable for a primarch.

The regular SMs passing for Alpharius relied solely on the idea of doing so only in front of people who had never seen a primarch before, so that's not so hard to swallow.

1) I never heard that the process of scattering the primarchs was responsible for sanguinius' wings. is this mentioned in fluff somewhere?

2) it's a good point that we only know so much about the acuity. I still think it sounds like the cabal tricked the alpa legion, though.

3) I don't think they ever mentioned a stand in in terminator armor, but you're right that most non-astartes could be tricked easily enough, not kowing a primarch from an astartes.

What Wazzahamma has said basically sums it up. Just to add my cents as well.

1) The whole principle of the Alpha Legion is deception and guile. For a legion who bases its entire combat and approach to life using those principles, it would not be unreasonable to expect them to easily keep this secret. One can only assume that when Primarchs met, only one of them ever appeared.

2) Lets remember that the Alpha Legion pride themselves on knowledge. Despite being Space Marines, they are I would imagine more 'worldly'. Ultimately, we can only assume two options as far as the Acuity goes. Firstly, that the Alpha Legion had prior knowledge or experience of the Acuity and knew it never to be false. Secondly, they believe this to be the case, but are fooled. The issue as to whether the Cabal are actually Chaos in origin is never mentioned. Regardless of being tricked or not, the book certainly implies that whatever the reason, they do it for the right one --- For the Emperor.

3) Approaching to rally other Primarchs could have easily seen those they approached remain loyal and flee to Terra to inform the Emperor. As for talking to Horus, they only knew he would turn and must rally to him.

1) I was thinking that if there were a set of twins, it would have been known before alph was ever found, so there would never have been an opportunity for secrecy. but if the "split" happened when they were scattered by the warp, then it makes sense.

2) I disagree that alphas could have known about the acuity before hand. I agree they thought they were doing the right thing, but I definitely think they were duped.

3) I think it would have made the most sense to try and inform the emperor. if he witnessed the acuity then things really would have unfolded differently.
unless...
the whole thing was a deception, and it accomplished its only true goal: turning the alpha legion.

I think the truth behind the acuity is one of two things:
- the cabal want to save the universe, and they dont care if the human race survives (they may even WANT it destroyed), so they present both options as resulting in the end of the human race.
- the cabal have completely ulterior motives, and only wanted to manipulate the alpha legion, which they succeeded in doing.

FlashGordon
22-05-2008, 15:43
Clearly the cabal knew humanity would wipe out all "alien" species in the galaxy if they allowed the emperor to win. They would rather see the humans suffer for eternity than let them be victorious. And what would they (the cabal aliens) do when chaos overruns the galaxy because Horus won? haha! what fools the twins are.

They, the cabal, knew the only way to defeat both chaos and the humans would be to fix a stalemate between Humanity and Chaos.

Well thats what i think. :)

Tyron
22-05-2008, 15:56
AFAIK Alpha Legion Primarchs never met the Emperor thus had little alligence to him hence why they sided with Horus. And all of a sudden they're to take the word of Xenos and claim to do it for someone they have never met? :confused:

FlashGordon
22-05-2008, 16:14
We don't know what kind of powerful spell or ritual they where using on them.

Victomorga
22-05-2008, 16:32
AFAIK Alpha Legion Primarchs never met the Emperor thus had little alligence to him hence why they sided with Horus. And all of a sudden they're to take the word of Xenos and claim to do it for someone they have never met? :confused:

alpharius did go to earth and meet the emperor, but horus was the one who first located him, and they spent a lot of time together out in space before he went to earth. apparently alph didn't get much face time, and as a result he was always closer to his brother than to their dad.

MvS
22-05-2008, 17:10
Aha! Yes, this was discussed previously.

Take a look: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132109

My thoughts from that thread are as follows (copies and pastes)...

Okay I've finished Legion and it strikes me that the Alpha Legion 'fell' for many of the same reasons that Horus did.

The official line is that the Cabal target the Alpha Legion because they are the least 'tainted' and 'weakened' of the Astartes Legions because they are the newest additions to the Imperium. They supposedly haven't had time to lose their critical acumen in favour of blind loyalty, or whatever it is the Cabal have decided the weakness of the other Legions might be.

So the Cabal approach the Alpha Legion with a mind of showing Alpharius and his identical twin the 'truth' about the future by means of a supposedly 'fool-proof' far-seeing device that will show an absolutely accurate picture of the things to come. So far so good. Or not.

We already have two possible futures that the Cabal say are certainties given certain circumstances. If Horus wins, his intrinsic sense of honour and duty will eat away at him until he causes the ultimate destruction of all humanity and the influence of Chaos within the Physical Universe along with it. Or if the Emperor wins against Horus (as indeed he does), the Imperium will slowly decay and Chaos will gradually grow to acsendence over countless millennia, rather than the century or two of Chaos ascendence and destruction if Horus wins.

So poor old Alpharius/Omegon, because they are are so 'free thinking' and pragmatic embrace this painful truth and decide to destroy the loyal fleets of the Imperium and turn against their allies in order to save the galaxy in the long term.

Well that's one way of seeing the outcome of Legion. Here's another.

The future is not set. This is a precedence set by popular fiction, popular science and the 40K universe itself. There is always more than one or two possible futures. Some may be more likely than others, but really the possibilities are endless.

Horus fell to Chaos ultimately because he was duped. He was shown a future where the Imperium is the blindingly dogmatic, totalitarian, superstitious, Emperor fearing, decaying, monstrous entity it now is. He sees the Emperor worshipped as an absolute and unforgiving corpse-god by a largely ignorant and fearful Imperium. He is naturally disgusted.

What Horus doesn't engage with (perhaps because of his own subtle arrogance) is that this future is the future that will happen should he rebel. If he didn't rebel the future would doubtlessly have been far better than it turned out. So it was a self fulfilling prophecy and Horus was manipulated perfectly by the Chaos Powers into doing exactly what they needed done to counter the Emperor's offensive against them.

The Alpha Legion is duped in the same way by the Cabal, but for different reasons. The Cabal must surely know that the future is unwritten. They must surely know that even if one course of action is most likely, it can still be altered if the effort is concerted and focused enough. The simple dualism of "Horus wins, Chaos burns out in 2 generations" and "Emperor defeats Horus and Chaos wins over countless millennia" is a false dichotomy. There were many, MANY other possibilities for the future, but it suited the Cabal to present their case in these terms to the humans they recruited and to the Alpha Legion.

Why? Anthrophobia. The fear of humanity.

The Cabal identified correctly that humanity was the increasingly dominant species in the galaxy and that the endless war against the Primordial Annihilator (as they call Chaos) would be fought across the territories of the Imperium and through the minds and over the souls of humanity. Fair enough. From this they deduced that humanity would be obliterated regardless of what they did? I think not.

The Cabal insisted that there was no hope for humanity. Either they would die quickly or slowly, but always at the hands of Chaos. Perhaps a few humans would survive if Horus won, so there's a tiny hope that the species wouldn't die out altogether, but no-one would survive ultimately if the Emperor was victorious. So they tell and show Alpharius/Omegon that he must help Horus win and destroy the Imperium and humanity so that Chaos might be destroyed and the galaxy saved for all other species.

This is BS, and I don't mean Ballsitic Skill.

Firstly, if the Cabal had often thought the Emperor could be able to join their number because he 'got' the Big Picture and wanted to smite Chaos, why not expend all their considerable efforts to win him over? Why not 'grant' him Acuity? Why not show the Emperor these supposedly Absolute futures? If this certainty has always been on the cards, why not approach the Emperor at the start of the Great Crusade? Why not before that? Because he wouldn't accept it? This amazing human who even the Cabal say really knows his stuff and understands the ultimate threat of Chaos? Seems a bit odd that they should overlook the Emperor and target his subjects instead...

And why should humanity be deemed irredeemable by the Cabal? Was it not the Eldar who ripped reality asunder and allowed the Primordial Annihilator a physical border-crossing into Realspace? Was it not the Eldar who actually created a new Chaos Power - the most seductive and insidious of all the Chaos Powers. Slaanesh.

Does Slaanesh not still hunt the Eldar, haunting their dreams and preying on their souls to the degree that if the Eldar don't use spiritstones they are immediately consumed by She Who Thirsts when they die? This direct connection between a Chaos Power and an entire civilisation does not exist with any other of the major space-faring species mentioned in the imagery, particularly, in this case, humans. Why are the Eldar not considered an equal threat to the galaxy by the Cabal? Could Slaanesh still not corrupt one well-placed Farseer out of so many thousands left in the galaxy and risk another cataclysm? It seems possible. So why should the Eldar be forgiven and overlooked for the bleak measure of utter destruction for the good of All? I imagine because the Eldar are an ancient species and they are represented on the Cabal. Pure and simple.

All the elder races stand to decline in the face of the rise of Humanity. At the very peak of their civilisation (in every sense) the Eldar fell to Chaos, with only the sad remains of the once-quadrillions of Eldar from that one-time great civilsation left to wander the stars until they are extinct. If humanity thrives and succeeds all other races will be ever more disenfranchised and this is an even more immediate threat than Chaos in the sense that if humanity falls to Chaos through Horus, then everyone suffers for a while but then humanity self-destructs and the other species in the galaxy are left to rebuild without humanity's interference, just as they did after the Eldar fell or after the war between the Old Ones and the C'tan that almost destroyed everything.

So what to do? What to do?

"Aha!" cry the Cabal. "We have seen that there is a strong likelihood that Horus will fall to Chaos and lead a rebellion against the Human Emperor. If he wins we will have the weather the horror of Chaos amongst humanity for a while and then just dust off our hands when humanity vanishes. If Horus doesn't rebel or if the Emperor wins against him, then humanity continues to dominate the galaxy and we continue to vanish into history. So we have to encourage Horus' rebellion and encourage as many humans as we can to assure the failure of the Emperor's plan, good sort though he generally seems to be. He is far too anthrocentric and doesn't think about non-humans enough, so he has to go."

Meanwhile the Eldar represented on the Cabal quietly brush aside the fact that the Cabal didn't move against them when they were falling to Chaos, or if the Cabal did and if it was their encouragement that led to the opening of the Eye of Terror (perhaps in the hope that the Eldar would somehow flash and then burn out Chaos influence in the galaxy), then the Cabal's plans are a little craptastic. They didn't work. They didn't avert the galaxy-effecting cataclysm of the Eldar's Fall and they sure as hell didn't minimise it, unless the Cabal count thie birth of a new and terrible god and the spilling of the Warp into Realspace on such a massive and permanent scale as 'successful' crisis management.

And now, in their arrogance, the Cabal didn't give the Alpha Legion any hope at all. They didn't allow for any possibility that humanity would eventually succeed one way or another. It was either immediate death or slow and painful death, and it is in this choice that I see their lie, or, at least, their decision not to put any trust whatsoever in humanity's chances of clearing out its own house. Let humanity die and then at least we can stop worrying about them and continue to worry about only ourselves. What we can't control we should help annihilate itself. But what if something the Cabal hadn't foreseen happened and Horus became completely consumed by Chaos, so there was no intention in him to destroy everything and burn out Chaos? What if the Heresy resulted in an even bigger Eye of Terror opening? Clearly the Cabal's bias against humanity made them take massive risks.

Why choose the Alpha Legion to help them? Because Alpharius and co. are so pragmatic and free-thinking? Or perhaps because they are so new to the Imperium that their trust in the Emperor is not deep enough. How often through the book do they presume to know better than the Emperor, saying that his plan is utopian and ultimately impossible and hinting that the Emperor doesn't 'get' this? Why should their wisdom be greater than a Alpha plus, plus, plus psyker (or whatever) who has lived for tens of thousands of years, prompting and guiding humanity all the while?

The Alpha Legion allowed themselves to be over-awed by some psychic device used by the Cabal. They decided to believe that what they were shown was complete and unchangeable fact, rather than what at that point was just the most likely of countless possible futures. They were all too ready to be convinced that the Emperor was somehow blinded to the truth about Chaos and the nature of humanity, because the flaw of the Alpha Legion was suspicion and a certain shiftiness. If the evidence was compelling enough they were ready to believe a conspiracy theory and aid a self-fulfilling prophecy, all because they themselves are conspirators and project their fears and biases onto everyone else too.

Could they not have fled to the Emperor and warned him? Could they not have feigned to side with Horus and killed him as soon as they learned of his intended rebellion? Could they not have done any one of a thousand possible things before believing a whole bunch of aliens who have conspired hundreds of thousands of years and STILL didn't managed to avoid the fall of the Eldar or the Age of Strife or the uncontrollable rise of the Orks or anything else? The Alpha Legion truly believed the Cabal's choice of quick death / slow death and nothing else.

I say the Alpha Legion were shown possible futures and were duped because they were willing to be duped at some deep and intangible level. They didn't integrate with the other Legions, they didn't trust the Imperium, they loved the Emperor but thought he was ultimately wrong, like an ageing and increasingly and unrealistically conservative father. Like Horus they helped bring about the fall of humanity, but not in a way that suited anyone except Chaos - so not humanity, not the Imperium, not the many Xeno races and not the Cabal. The hubris of this Cabal and of Alpharius/Omegon was staggering and the price far too high.

Thinking about it, the Cabal didn't even have to want to see humanity destroyed particularly. All they needed was to look down on humanity and be convinced that they were unsaveable - not an unbelievable possibility considering that the Cabal are made up of entities and species that are millions of years old.

Arrogance and prejudice aren't just a human failings...

Or so I choose to think.

Khaine's Messenger
22-05-2008, 17:37
doesn't it seem kind of impossible that there would be a "twin primarch?"

Not really. If you go with the whole "zodiac" theme to its extreme, then someone has to represent gemini, or whatever the 20-sign equivalent is. And a Primarch with multiple personality or bipolar disorder would seem like same song, second verse when it comes to the primarchs.... And considering that "magic" was involved in their birthing, it's quite possible it happened before they were skirted away.

how could this remain a well-guarded secret when the emperor created the primarchs, and they were being actively sought-out during the great crusade?

The Emperor and his "scientists" kept secrets from everyone. The apothecarions of the various legions knew terribly little about Primarch physiology, for example, even though you'd think that would be important to have (even in a wishy-washy way if the Emperor couldn't produce a textbook on the subject). It's one of the things that's supposed to be indicative of the inevitable crumbling of the Great Crusade.

did anyone else think that they tricked the alpha legion?

I thought that it was kind of unfair to throw them into a situation of such psychic potency that it made peoples' heads explode. That sort of situation could involve any sort of brain melting and psychic reprogramming, and frankly, you'd have to invest more than a little faith in the process to take the Cabal at its word regardless of what sudden new insight into the universe you acquired. That, and as manipulative bastards go, being frank with anyone seems out of character. To what end they "tricked" the Alpha Legion--if at all--however, I don't know, because I highly doubt they want Chaos to win the Long War. Unless they're like daemons. Only tell the truth when it hurts.

try to talk to horus about this

Because Horus was "destined" to turn, and the Cabal said as much.

try to arrange for the cabal to show the emperor what they showed him

The Cabal probably would not have agreed to such a meeting. John Grammaticus had met the Emperor before, and knew something of the Emperor's "true nature" (whatever it is), and found it to be emotionally upsetting in the absurd extreme. It's likely the Cabal knows something of it, too, and would much rather not be in his presence.

*EDIT: Although there might be some crucial detail from the novel I've forgotten regarding how the Cabal speaks of the Emperor. It's been a hectic few months....

take a more subtle and characteristic approach to turning on the imperium

They already had, to a certain extent. The Alpha Legion's "dogmas" and philisophical excursions droned on about the impossibility of the Emperor's dream. Had that infectious ideology taken deeper root, it's quite possible that the author of "All We Have Is The Truth" or whatever it was called, from the first three books. Unfortunately, the Alpha Legion's primarch(s) was (were) discovered too late to push it very far.

Nope. Keeps up the mystique. The whole frikkin' Legion called itself "Alpharius," which was the point. While most people had probably seen the Primarchs in propaganda reels, most people (Imperial, xenos, etc.) have never met them in person, so such cosmetic details aren't as important as the identity worn by an individual making the claim. So if all you know is "Alpharius is the Primarch of the Alpha Legion," and you're a little addlebrained at the moment, a random Alpha Legionairre saying "I'm Alpharius, and what I say goes" will most likely get compliance. It's a psychology thing.

I just want to know if any of this seemed ill-concieved to anyone else, or if there are explainations to some of this stuff that just never occured to me.

For all I liked the sequences with the Alpha Legion and the geno-troopers, the bits with the Cabal/John did seem poor by comparison. Not terrible or worth putting the book down, mind. I'd have much rather a Legion choose of its own free will to embrace the cause of the Imperium's destruction rather than have some outside force encourage them to go about it. If it's not "Chaos did it," now it'll be "the Cabal" did it, and eventually all the political intrigue that went into the Heresy is just overshadowed. "Right" of the Primarchs to inherit the kingdom, the taxes of the Council of Terra, the fundamental lies of the system causing the internal structure to break down, and so on. I don't care for all the "prophecies" that keep getting thrown into the mix. Just a thematic thing for me.

Thoth62
22-05-2008, 18:12

This is the one that I would like to think is actually the easiest to explain.

The vast majority of the time, when twins are born, they are usually smaller than a full-term single child. This is usually due to them having had to share the same space in the mother's womb, but I would imagine that if primarchs were to have been created as twins, the same explanation would be plausible. The capsule which contained the Alpha Legion Primarch(s) would have been no larger than any of the others. So while the other primarchs would have been larger when they were released from thier incubation pods, the twin primarchs of the Alpha Legion would not have been, having had to share the same space during incubation.

It would then be understandable to imagine that Alpharius and Omegon were in fact, smaller than their brothers from the other legions, and much closer in size to the marines of the Alpha Legion. And if a marine were to have been slightly larger than the rest, he would have been able to act as a double much easier.

Vaulkhar
22-05-2008, 23:29
What strikes me as paradoxical is this (and my apologies if I repeat something already said):

The Legion have a recurring theme that the Emperor's plan is impossible - it envisions a Utopia requiring 'perfect' beings and is therefore destined to fail in light of mankind's inherent imperfection.

Now apply that to the Cabal's vision of a universe purged of Chaos. Is this a similarly doomed Utopian goal and thus doomed to failure and, if so, why would the Legion not spot the glaring inconsistency?

Wazzahamma
23-05-2008, 03:59
1) I never heard that the process of scattering the primarchs was responsible for sanguinius' wings. is this mentioned in fluff somewhere?

I don't have it on hand, but I believe that the primarch mutations have been ascribed to the effects of the warp as the infants traveled through it. ie: Sanguninuis' wings, Magnus' red skin and cyclopean eye and Alpha/Omegon's split.

2) it's a good point that we only know so much about the acuity. I still think it sounds like the cabal tricked the alpa legion, though.

Possibly. Or the acuity has tricked them all. Who knows?

3) I don't think they ever mentioned a stand in in terminator armor, but you're right that most non-astartes could be tricked easily enough, not kowing a primarch from an astartes.

His name was Sheed Ranko. He doubled for Omegon specifically in the book, and would undoubtedly do the same for Alpharius on occasion.

3) I think it would have made the most sense to try and inform the emperor. if he witnessed the acuity then things really would have unfolded differently.
unless...

There must be a reason for not showing the Emperor directly...after all the cabal considered bringing him into their ranks at one point, but found him too bloodthirsty.

It would then be understandable to imagine that Alpharius and Omegon were in fact, smaller than their brothers from the other legions

This is a funny little bit of fanon that keeps cropping up, and I'm not sure why. I can only imagine that it comes from a literal reading of that line in Galaxy in Flames (about 'stature') and fans assuming that only a shorter primarch could ever be impersonated.

The book never alludes to either Alpha/Omegon being of a smaller build and the AL IA makes clear statements to prove Alpharius' height being equal to that of Guilliman and Horus. Not to mention that it refers to the Alpha astartes themselves as being tall, reminiscent of their primarch.

Now apply that to the Cabal's vision of a universe purged of Chaos. Is this a similarly doomed Utopian goal and thus doomed to failure and, if so, why would the Legion not spot the glaring inconsistency?

The problem is that the Alpha Legion, even after the acuity, most likely did not understand the nature of chaos to its full extent. An insidious and foremost threat to the universe, yes...but most they most likely felt that it could be ultimately exterminated in a similar way as many other xenos races that humanity had sent the way of the dinosaur.