PDA

View Full Version : Playing with RBT again: 2200 points High Elves vs Tomb Kings

Armilthuan
22-05-2008, 15:49
Hi hi all...

After having ditched my RBT in a previous tournament (because of I could not take two rare choices), I am going back to fighting with them again. It was a wonderfull experience, but since I am going to the dutch GT (Don't think I'll win that big ;) mainly going for the fun, but I do want to put up a good fight) I have to take some fire support again.

So without further ado:

High elf Warhost:
o Prince with Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense and Great Weapon.
o Noble on Great Eagle with Dragon Armour, Shield, Star Lance and Talisman of Loec.
o Mage with Annulian Crystal.
o Mage with 2x Dispell Scroll.

o 18 Spearelves with Banner, Musican and Ellyrion Banner (Joined by first Mage.).
o 10 Archers with Musican.

o 14 White Lions with Full Command, Gem of Courage and Lion Banner (Joined by Prince).
o 14 Swordmasters with Full Command and Amulet of Light (Joined by second Mage).
o 5 Shadow Warriors.
o Tiranoc Chariot.
o Tiranoc Chariot.
o White Lion Chariot.

o Great Eagle.
o Repeater Bolt Thrower.
o Repeater Bolt Thrower.

Tomb Kings Army:
o Tomb King with Flail of Skulls and Scorpion Armour
o Liche Priest with Casket of Souls, Dispell Scroll and Collar of Shapesh.
o Liche Priest (Heirophant) with Cloak of Dunes and Hieratic Jar.
o Liche Priest with 2x Dispell Scrolls.

o 20 Skeleton Archers (Joined by Heirophant).
o 20 Skeleton Archers.
o 4 Chariots

o Tomb Scorpion
o Tomb Scorpion
o 20 Tomb Gaurd with Full Command and Icon of Rakaph (Joined by Tomb King)
o 20 Tomb Gaurd with Full Command and Banner of Undying Legion.

o Screaming Skull Catapult.

Story:
The undead. Restless souls craving for life. They had come to block his road for no apparant reason. Perhaps we had threaded on some buried treasure, although in the woodland of the empire, this is not likely. Perhaps they were scavenging their prizes and they where blocking them. Or perhaps, worst of all, they possessed an item of value to them.

Either way, they had to punch their way through the lines of skeletons. Armilthuan sounded the charge,for fear was not borne to him.

If only the rest of his army was just as brave.

Magic:
Both mages take Lore of Light and choose the first spell.

Deployment:

High elf Deployment from left to right:
Archers, Spearelf unit, Tiranoc Chariot with a Tower in front at the middle of the table. White Lion Chariot, Forest with White Lions. Great Eagle, Swordmasters. Hill with both RBT. Chariot with Noble on Great Eagle behind. (Shadow Warriors, see other deployment.)

Tomb King Deployment from left to right (my view):
Chariots, Archers containing Liche Priest fully stretched half on a hill with Tomb Gaurd containing Tomb King behind and the Screaming Skull catapult on the hill behind. Behind the hill is the other Liche Priest. Scorpion on the hill with Casket behind. Scorpion beside the hill. Archers fully stretched with other Tomb gaurd behind. Beside the archer line is a house with the Shadow Warriors lurking beside.

High elves roll highest and opt for the first turn.

High elves turn 1:

Movement:
I Move my Tiranoc Chariot towards the Tower at an angle. To view the left flank. I move my Spear elves beside it. The White Lion Chariot and White Lions rush as far forward as possible. The Eagle flies in front of the chariot at such an angle that if a Tomb Scorpion decides to charge and overrun it will never touch the chariot or my White Lions. The Swordmasters move as fast forward as possible, as does the last chariot. The Shadow Warriors move towards the flank of the Archers. The noble flies to the spot where the Shadow Warriors where previously.

Magic:
I fail to cast Burning gaze on the chariots but manage to succesfully cast another Burning gaze on one of the Tomb Scorpions. He says, "Cool! I have MR." Like that matters when you have 5 Dispell dice left... :P To insult him, he rolls double 1 and a 5 and I obliterate the Scorpion. One down, one to go.

Shooting:
The Archers shoot at the Chariots but do nothing. Both RBT fire at the Archers containing the Liche priest and score a few kills. The Shadow Warriors shoot at the Archers and score a few kills.

Close Combat:
Nuffin'

Tomb Kings Turn 1:

Movement:
The Chariots move as far forward as possible. The remaining Scorpion lurches towards the Eagle as intended. Everything else stays put. Unbeknowst to me, the Heirophant detaches itself from the Archers.

Magic:
The King wants the Archers to shoot Dispell it twice. The Liche Priest on foot wants to move the Scorpion, fine with me. It charges the Eagole as expected. The Heirophant wants to move the chariots, I let him charge my Spearelves, reasoning they could take such a charge. Due to bad movement on my part, the chariot is also drawn into the fight. The Heirophant wants the Archers to shoot, I let it through, he shoots at the White Lions but kills none. The last Liche priest want the catapult to shoot, I dispell it. He wants it to shoot again, but I can't dispell it anymore. He aims at the Swordmasters but scatters to the White Lions and kills two. Casket of Souls is Scrolled.

Shooting:
Catapult fires at the Swordmasters again but misfires. He loses a crew and can't do anything this turn or the next. The same archers fire at the White Lions but again kill none. The other Archers shoot at the Swordmasters and kill two.

Combat:
The Scorpion wounds the Eagle but the Eagle does nothing back. Fear, outnumber, and it is flying away. The Scorpion is in full pursuit. The chariots crash in the Spearelves and kill 4 with impact hits. The elves score 2 wounds and another 4 elves succumb to the attacks of the skeletons and horses. That was a bit better than expected. I lose by 2 and only my chariot is in range of the general. Both roll to high for their Break tests and flee. The Spearelves are run down but the chariot manages to escape. Not good.

High elves Turn 2:

Movement:
The White Lion Chariot charges the archers opposing it. The remaining chariot wants to charge the other Archers but can't swallow their fear. The fleeing chariot and eagle rally. The archers move to shoot the Chariots again. Both combat blocks move as fast forward as possible again. The Shadow Warriors stand still. the nobel on eagle moves towards the rear line of the Tomb King army with the Casket of Souls in view.

Magic:
Burning Gaze is Dispelled.

Shooting:
The Archers shoot at the Chariots but again score no wounds. The Shadow Warriors try to strip a rank from the Tomb gaurd block but their arrows can't find a bite in the bones. Both RBT fire at the same Tomb Gaurd block and score 4 kills.

Combat:
The White Lion chariot completely mauls the Archer regiment and overruns into the Screamin Skull catapult.

Tomb Kings Turn 2:

Movement:
His Chariots charge my rallied chariot and the Tomb Gaurd with Tomb King charge my White Lions. Both Hold. He moves his line of Archers away and they face my Noble on Great Eagle. The Tomb Gaurd moves past the Archers to my Swordmasters. He moves his Scorpion out of the forest in LoS of my White Lions flank. His Heirophant flies to the save cover of the Tower.

Magic:
He uses banner of the undying Legion and I let it through, replenishing his ranks. Next he uses his king to move the Tomb Gaurd. Easy dispell so I dispell one attempt. and let the other through. Tomb Gaurd charge my Swordmasters. Next he wants to move his Scorpion. I dispell one attempt but I knew it was in vain and he did it again, charging it in to the flank of my White Lions. He casts a Magic Missile at my Noble and I let it through, causing one wound one my noble. Casket is Dispelled.

Shooting:
His remaining archers shoot at my Noble and scores one wound on the Eagle.

Combat:
The Chariots demolish my Chariot and overrun off the table. His Tomb gaurd get heavily mauled by my Swordmasters. The White Lions fare a bit worse as the Lord forgot his weapon and could'nt hit the Scorpion. The White Lions score a wound on the Scorpion and two kills on the Tomb Gaurd. The King strikes back and together with his Tomb Gaurd score two kills on the White Lions. Angered by the Elf even thinking of attacking him, the Scorpion poisoned the Lord. The Lord fails all three saves and takes a wound. The Lions easily pass their Break test. The White Lion Chariot eats the crew of the Catapult and elects to stand still.

High Elves Turn 3:

Movement:
The White Lion Chariot and Noble Charge the Casket. The Shadow Warriors charge the Archers in the flank. The remaining chariot wants to charge the Scorpion but fails his Fear test again. The Eagle tries to restrict the movement of the Heirophant. The archers, sensing an oppertunity, turn slightly so they can see the Liche priest on foot.

Magic:
No Magic.

Shooting:
The Archers shoot at the Liche Priest on foot and score one wound. The RBT have no target.

Combat:
The Casket goes up in smoke, the Shadow Warriors kill two Skeletons, crumbling another. Going for fun, we both decide it would be cool to have our Lords face off against each other, so we challenge. My Prince inflicts two wounds on his King, while the attacks from his King is stopped by my armour.
I take out the whole front rank and score a wound on the scorpion. Scorpion kills two White Lions in return. He loses combat by one. My Swordmasters kill and crumble all but the Champion.

Tomb Kings Turn 3:

Movement:
The Chariots Move up the board as fast as they can towards the battle line. He moves his Heirophant closer to the chariots and in line of sight of my archers, but the gamble could pay off. The Liche priest on foot moves closer to support the battle line.

Magic:
The Banner of undying legion brings a whopping one Tomb gaurd back. I let the King give his unit and the Scorpion get another round of combat and a few elves get killed. I let the Liche priest replenish the units ranks. I held onto my three dice for dear life. His Heirophant wants to move the chariots and rolls a 7. I hoped I could stop it on one dice so I can use the other two on the second attempt I rolled, and it came up a 6! Lucky! Next, he used his Heiratic Jar to do it again (??) and rolled 8. I rolled both dice, thinking this is in the bag, and got a total result of 5...

The Chariots crashed into my White Lions. But they had to take a shortcut throuh the forest, and the chariot with only one wound remaining Bye, bye...

Shooting:
No shooting.

Combat:
KE-RASH! The Chariots kill 4 White Lions. 1 White Lion scores a wound on the Tomb Scorpion and 4 others kill 3 Tomb Gaurd. The Champion strikes back and kills a White Lion. The Skeletons and horses attack, killing the remaining 4 White Lions with ease. My Lord scores another wound on the King. The King strikes back, and one wound is not saved by armour and ward, and my Lord is smashed apart. The Chariots overrun, and by half an inch come in contact with my Swordmasters. They kill 4 Swordmasters. Swordmasters strike back and score 5 wounds, taking a chariot down and leaving 1 wound left on the other. I kill the champion, but fail to take out the banner. Drats, drats and double drats! The Skeletons rank up a nice kill bonus again and the Swordmasters flee the scene, bumping into the Skeleton Archers and scattering to the 4 winds. The Shadow Warriors kill a single Archer, draw.

High elves Turn 4:

Movement:
Turn 4 comes around and all my main battle units have been cut down by one meagre chariot unit. *sigh* Rarely have I seen chariots go on such a rampage. My Tiranoc chariot finally get's the nerve to charge the scorpion, If only you charged the instant I wanted you to charge. I move my Lion Chariot and Noble towards the battle line again. Archers shuffle forward to get full numbers to bear at the Heirophant, hoping for a lucky shot.

Magic:
No Magic.

Shooting:
The Archers fire at the Heirophant and score, on the relief of my opponent only one wound. One RBT shoots the Standard Bearer of the Tomb Gaurd to a pile of bones, cutting the weed before it grows back. The other kills the Liche Priest which already got a wound the round before.

Combat:
The Chariot makes short work of the Scorpion and elects to hold in front of the Tomb Gaurd instead of overrunning and crashing into the tower. Shadow Warriors kill two skeletons and another one crumbles.

Tomb Kings Turn 4:

Movement:
The Tomb Gaurd charge my chariot and it flees a mighty seven inches, being caught in the progress. He charges his last two chariots at my Lion Chariot. He moves his Heirophant into safety.

Magic:
I stop both attempts from the King to replenish his unit, but I can't stop the Heirophant from summoning back 6 Tomb Gaurd, denying me points.

Shooting:
No shooting.

Combat:
Impact hits score two wounds on the Chariot. The White Lions can't find their aim and miss. The skeletons, their fearsome tally of casualties against the elves can't do anything at all. The War Lions bite back and score two wounds. Outnumber strips another wound off the last Chariot. Shadow Warriors kill one skelly and end in a draw again.

High elves Turn 5:

Movement:
My Eagle and Noble skulk closer to the Tomb Gaurd block, waiting for an oppertunity to take out the King.

Magic:
None.

Shooting:
RBT shoot at the Tomb Gaurd and bring it back to below half strenght.

Combat:
Lion Chariot easily dispatches the last chariot. Shadow Warriors kill one skelly. Draw.

Tomb Kings Turn 5:

Movement:
My Noble on Great Eagle skulked to close for comfort, the Tomb gaurd turned around and tried to charge the Noble, which fled.

Magic:
I Dispell one attempt from the king to heal himself and fail the other. The King regains one wound. The Heirophant replenishes the ranks of the Tomb Gaurd again.

Shooting:
Echo.

Combat:
Shadow Warriors kill one Skeleton, again ending into a draw.

High elves Turn 6:

Movement:
Deciding to take the bull by it's horns, I charge the Tomb Gaurd to try and take out the King. The Noble rallies and I move my Eagle to divert the Tomb Gaurd away, should they want to charge the Noble.

Magic:
No magic.

Shooting:
No targets.

Combat:
The Lion Chariot performs lousy. It scores 4 Impact hits but wounds none of the Tomb gaurd. I Hit with only one of my attacks aimed at the king. Luckily it does take a wopund of its profile. The Lion Chariot is swatted into the ground for being so annoying. The Shadow Warriors finally get the benefit of outnumbering and kill all but two skeletons.

Tomb Kings Turn 6:

Movement:
The Tomb King charges my eagle and I hold.

Magic:
I dispell both attempts of the King to get another CC fase. But the Heirophant Cast it and the Eagle is swatted aside. Finally, the Heirophant charges into my noble again. Bloody nice move...

Shooting:
Nope.

Combat:
He challenges my Noble with his champion, denying me the attempt at killing his King. I horribly maim the Champion, but it was not enough and I fled. The Shadow Warriors easily dispatch the last two skeletons.

High Elves total VP: 1882.5

Tomb Kings total VP: 2005

Result: Draw

Hope you enjoyed.

Draconian77
22-05-2008, 16:06
Nice battle report but one thing does confuse me:

"I stop both attempts from the King to replenish his unit, but I can't stop the Heirophant from summoning back 6 Tomb Gaurd, denying me points."

Now its been a long time since I played with my Tomb Kings but I don't think the Tomb King has the healing spell(Cant heal himself or his unit). I think he only has the movement spell and the semi-combat phase spell.

Malorian
22-05-2008, 16:12
You're right drac, the king can't heal his unit.

Oenghus
22-05-2008, 16:22
Good battle report, and nicely organized. The red's a bit eye-mangling though.

Draconian's right about the King's magic. Urgency and Smiting only for him, no healing or magic missile. Also, the Heirophant must go after all other priests in the magic phase. It looked like he went out of order in turn one -- but that may have just been a narrative tweak.

Armilthuan
22-05-2008, 17:53
Sorry, my mistake all. You can't remember everything when writing a Battle Report. :)

Glad you guys like it.

SevenSins
22-05-2008, 19:15
nice rep, and a closely fought draw it seems.
That red colour is not the best though...

Armilthuan
23-05-2008, 08:17
On popular demand, I have chosen a brighter shade of red. Better?

During this battle I have found out that Tomb King magic is'nt that dangerous anymore. If you just make sure that he can only make charges you don't care about, all is going fine and dandy.

However, having my Magic defense cut into half on the first turn was a major blow from which I could not recover.

Draconian77
23-05-2008, 16:05
The brighter red is better.

I'm also not very impressed by TK magic, while the potential is there I find to use it well(Short ranged) the Liche Priests have to put themselves in very compromising positions.

Also seeing as how you know the King is going to be casting movement spells most of the time you can place your units in such a way that dispelling his spells isn't worth it.