PDA

View Full Version : HE Amulet of Light

Once Bitten
23-05-2008, 10:46
New player here. I'm sure I'm missing something very simple, but bear with me...

In the HE book, the Amulet of Light's benefit is described as: "All attacks made by the bearer (and the unit he is with) count as Magical."

How does this play out in close combat? I roll to hit, do I then still need to roll to wound using my character/unit's strength? That doesn't make sense to me, since a magical attack wouldn't seem to need strength. But if not my strength, how else do I determine wounds?

Also, would my opponent get to use an armor save? (Again, armor doesn't seem like it would help against magical attacks.)

Conversely, it doesn't make sense that all my hits would automatically wound and negate regular armor saves - with an amulet that only costs 15 points.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

theunwantedbeing
23-05-2008, 10:50
The attacks are just counts as magical.
That's it.

Normal rolling to hit and wound prcedures.
I cant fathom why on earth you would think magical attacks means auto-wounds and ignores saves.

Care to shed some light on this?
(It's often worth knowing where confusions arise as it makes it far easier to explain things correctly to people)

Atrahasis
23-05-2008, 10:53
I'm with unwanted. No offense at all meant (it's easy to make mistakes when you're new after all), but your post almost reads like parody.

marv335
23-05-2008, 11:29
the advantage is not that you auto-hit/wound (which you don't), but that some units are immune to normal attacks, but can be harmed by magical attacks (ethereal creatures for example)

Once Bitten
23-05-2008, 11:33
Well, like I said, it doesn't make sense to me that a magical attack requires physical strength in order to wound someone, nor does it make sense that platemail armor would be of any use in negating a magical attack.

I believe you - especially in light of the cheap point cost of the amulet - but ... still ... my reasoning seems like parody??? Gheez. ;)

What, then, would the benefit be for wearing this amulet? What's the value in a magical, versus a physical attack?

Once Bitten
23-05-2008, 11:34
the advantage is not that you auto-hit/wound (which you don't), but that some units are immune to normal attacks, but can be harmed by magical attacks (ethereal creatures for example)

Oh, didn't see your post before I wrote my last reply. This makes sense. Thanks!

theunwantedbeing
23-05-2008, 11:46
There is no benefit 99% of the time, that's why it's a 15 point item.

The benefit comes when facing undead as your troops can now harm ethereal troops(as ethereal troops can only be harmed by magical attacks), and when facing wood elves with forest spirits as magical attack's negate their forest spirit ward save.
Oh and against Malekith the witch king so he doesnt get his 2+ ward vs your attacks.

There may be a few others but those 3 are the main uses of magical attacks.
They used to negate daemonic ward saves as well but that doesnt happen anymore.

It's a cheap item because it doesnt have a lot of use.

Magic weapons grant magical attacks...but in general they dont auto-wound or ignore saves at all.

Bob the Butcher
24-05-2008, 00:29
Magical weapons are useful however vs. Ethereals which can't be hit by mundane weapons.

Also the magic weapons negate the Dryads Ward saves very handy if fighting Wood Elves.