PDA

View Full Version : Any info on the Silver Skulls?

malika
20-10-2005, 23:58
Is there any background material on the Silver Skulls? Do they have anything interesting, or are they just the most Codex chapter out there?

angelspast
21-10-2005, 00:21
3rd founding, ultramarine geneseed, Codex chapter, homeworld Varsavia, ultima segmentum, present in the corinthian crusade. That's about all that gw has published.

malika
21-10-2005, 00:26
corinthian crusade? what's that?

angelspast
21-10-2005, 00:31
7 year crusade against the ork empire of charadon. included silver skulls, ultramarines, lamenters, marines errant, and angels of absolution. 698.M41.

+edit+ they were also present in the 3rd armageddon war within the smashed hive hades quite recently. some 7 or 8 companies deployed.

I play silver skulls btw :p

malika
21-10-2005, 00:55
Do you have any pictures of your Silver Skulls?

Brother Othorio
21-10-2005, 02:11
unless i am mistaken (it has been known to happen, occassionally) after failing to hold the Hades Hive Docks the chapter began mounting raids into Ork Roks, in once instance actually using the orks own tellyporta system to beam thermic charges up into the orbitting ork filled space hulks thereby stemming the flow of reinforcements (information gleened after spending a bored evening scouring all the warzone pages on the armageddon3 website)

and i second malikas request for pictures, and how do you mark the company? (one of the online chapter listings says that they denote company by the colour of their squad badge only, which i think is rather cool, i've contemplated doing a small force of 4th company using that method)

angelspast
21-10-2005, 03:24
@malika: Sorry I don't have any pictures. No digital camera :( In you ever play down at griffon games in MA I'd be happy to show you my army though :D One of these days I'll finish my rendition of their history and post it...

@othorio: Hive Hades was destroyed from orbit at the beginning of the war by ork hulks. The silver skulls were engaged within the remains of hades and the surrounding areas preventing the orks from looting the ruins, and securing the stategic position. Pretty sure it was the salamanders that were using an ork teleporter within a rok to damage a hulk.

Yeah company affiliation is shown in the squad type marking. Ie a 3rd company tactical squad will have a red tactical marking on the shoulder, a 4th company will have a green tactical marking, etc, etc. I ended up using the 3rd company markings as they best contrasted with the silver armor/blue bolter casing.

Easy E
21-10-2005, 05:21
Aren't they headhunters as well? I seem to recall something from 1st edition about that.

Nazguire
21-10-2005, 09:14
They have some information towards the end of the 3rd Edition Space Marines Codex. They don't just recruit from the one planet and there is a named Apothecary giving a report, which is useful for hobby purposes...

They also have their gene-seed locked in a gigantic sealed vault, which there is a story involving an Inquisitor and co. inspecting their Fortress Monastery, possibly meaning that they are under Inquisitorial scrutiny.

malika
21-10-2005, 11:34
Aren't they headhunters as well? I seem to recall something from 1st edition about that.

headhunters?:eek:

They also have their gene-seed locked in a gigantic sealed vault, which there is a story involving an Inquisitor and co. inspecting their Fortress Monastery, possibly meaning that they are under Inquisitorial scrutiny.
I think all chapters would have there geneseed stored in a gigantic sealed vault, or somewhere else very safe! And the Inquisition is known to inspect the chapters for purity IIRC.

They tend to recruit from Garanda II

Nazguire
21-10-2005, 11:48
headhunters?:eek:

I think all chapters would have there geneseed stored in a gigantic sealed vault, or somewhere else very safe! And the Inquisition is known to inspect the chapters for purity IIRC.

They tend to recruit from Garanda II

I thought that the purity was inspected by the Adeptus Mechanicus, who did that on Mars through the genetic tithes? Only if there was suspicion would the Inquisitor go there. As we know very little about them, it is also possible that they are.

angelspast
21-10-2005, 13:18
Headhunters? :wtf: Eh wrong chapter...

Their homeworld is Varsavia where their fortress monastary is based, and that's their primary recruiting location. Like most other chapters though they will also draw recruits from nearby unclaimed systems and while on campaign.

garanda II is a nearby world which the silvers skulls use to supplement their recruiting.

Geneseed tithes are checked for purity by the adeptus mechanicus. However it's not uncommon for nosy inquisitors to attempt physical inspections without notice. Some chapters will allow them limited access and some just tell them to shod off :D . The silver skulls are apparently quite indulgent when it comes to requests of knowledge.

Oh, and the story you're talking about is here if anyone hasn't read it. It's more of a blurb than a story, but still worth reading.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/initiation/1/

Brother Othorio
21-10-2005, 15:32
Hive Hades was destroyed from orbit at the beginning of the war by ork hulks. The silver skulls were engaged within the remains of hades and the surrounding areas preventing the orks from looting the ruins, and securing the stategic position. Pretty sure it was the salamanders that were using an ork teleporter within a rok to damage a hulk.
nope, definately Silver Skulls
http://www.armageddon3.com/english/campaign/Hades/hades.html

and there is evidence for headhunting, the Silver Skull uniform example in the Rogue Trader rulebook had an ork head nailed to his studded shoulderpad and a human head hanging by its hair from his 'belt' (the severed human head from the current Ork Boyz sprue is very similar to that head)

Nazguire
23-10-2005, 00:32
nope, definately Silver Skulls
http://www.armageddon3.com/english/campaign/Hades/hades.html

and there is evidence for headhunting, the Silver Skull uniform example in the Rogue Trader rulebook had an ork head nailed to his studded shoulderpad and a human head hanging by its hair from his 'belt' (the severed human head from the current Ork Boyz sprue is very similar to that head)

However, during Rogue Trader, the Space Wolves were only wolf-like in the name, Ultramarines had a half-eldar librarian or something similar and the species that shall not be named was supported.

I wouldn't exactly treat that picture as official anymore, not unless something more concrete comes out. Which lets face it, there won't as they are a vanilla-flavoured Codex Chapter.

angelspast
23-10-2005, 01:44
Oh I guess we did take down a rok, good to know :D

Headhunting though shouldn't be mistaken with general trophy taking, which almost every chapter does.