PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Vampire tournament list - first go with the new rules

Lord Inquisitor
25-05-2008, 05:38
Okay, first run with the new rules at a tournament (pretty much first go with the new rules at all), here's the list I'm thinking of running tomorrow:

Vampire Lord 415 points
Level 3 Wizard
Walach’s Bloody Hauberk
Book of Arkhan
Sword of Might
Infinite Hatred
Lord of the Dead
Walking Death

(Nice all-round Lord, had to give up the Red Fury though!)

Vampire 200 points
Talisman of Lynci
Sword of Battle
Flayed Hauberk
Infinite Hatred
Walking Death

(Runs with the Dire Wolves to try and give them the ability to fight their way out of a wet paper bag)

Vampire 190 points
Helm of Commandment
Black Periapt
Lord of the Dead
Dark Acolyte

(Going to stay out of combat with some skeletons if possible, engaging in melee only if necessary)

Isabella von Carstein 90 points
Blood Chalice of Bathori
Beguile

(Cheap magic user! She's going to snuggle up with the Lord and try and keep him alive. Let's hope Vlad doesn't find out!)

15 Skeleton Warriors 132 points
Standard, musician

14 Skeleton Warriors 120 points
Standard

15 Skeleton Warriors 147 points
Spears, standard, musician

10 Dire Wolves 80 points

3 Fell Bats 60 points

15 Grave Guard 210 points
Full command

10 Black Knights 355 points
Barded steeds, full command, Royal Standard of Strigois

Grand Total 1999 points

Yes, I've probably horribly overspent on characters but I just ... can't ... seem to stop myself. I've had to reduce unit sizes to try and squeeze everything in.

Any suggestions for last-minute changes?

marine4792
25-05-2008, 07:38
couple suggestion:
-break 10 man dire wolves into 2 5 man squads. 10 is hard to maneuver and 5 is just as good in the flank.
-i would switch the helm of commandment from the vampire to the vampire lord switch it for book of arkhan so that you can take full advantage of ws 7.:evilgrin:

Lord Inquisitor
28-05-2008, 23:52
couple suggestion:
-break 10 man dire wolves into 2 5 man squads. 10 is hard to maneuver and 5 is just as good in the flank.
Tempting, but I was worried that the vampire running with them would be vulnerable to missile fire with only 5 ablative wounds to protect him!

In the end the 10 Dire Wolf unit was pretty useful. With the vamp to give them some punch they broke several units.

-i would switch the helm of commandment from the vampire to the vampire lord switch it for book of arkhan so that you can take full advantage of ws 7.:evilgrin:
Thing was, I wanted to keep the Lord in combat himself!

However, perhaps you're right - there were a couple of occasions that units with WS7 would have been better than WS6!

As it was, the list worked very well. I won first place at the local rogue trader tournament. Apart from my vampire getting eaten by a big scary elf dragon in the first game, pretty much everything went according to plan. The small units of skeletons weren't an issue - those vampires with Lord of Dead rolling one power dice at a time burned through the enemy's dispel dice (I'll cast Invocation. Next, I'll cast Invocation. Just for a change, Invocation...). The Grave Guard are awesome now you can resurrect them!

I have 250 points more to play with at the next tournie, as they're upping the points to 2250 for some reason. Another unit of Grave Guard perhaps?