PDA

View Full Version : Guessing ranges question

Max zero
25-05-2008, 06:20
According to the rules for using Cannons (thought it applies to a number of different machines) you have to select at target for your attack and that target must be visible.

But what if that target is screened by another enemy unit (say Dire Wolves screening Blood Knights). Can you deliberately 'over guess' so your Cannonball has a better chance of hitting the Blood Knights behind?

I'd say its not illegal but is it considered poor sportsmanship? Where would you draw the line?

WLBjork
25-05-2008, 07:44
Deliberate over guessing is against the rules.

In your example, those Blood Knights are not a valid target as they cannot be seen, so you couldn't guess to hit them.

Tarax
25-05-2008, 08:46
Your guess must be reasonable. Aiming at a point 1" in front of the Dire Wolves, before the first Artillery Dice, is wrong, because you are sure to overshoot the Wolves.
Aiming 6" in front of the Wolves is better. You stand a chance of hitting the Wolves, and if you're lucky, you will hit the Blood Knights behind them.

Talk it over with your opponent. See if he is all right with your guess.

Max zero
25-05-2008, 09:03
Heh i'm the VC player. Anyway I guess it just comes down to judgment and talking things through.

T10
25-05-2008, 09:25
It's like this with any situation that calls for range estimation: At times the situation may arise where it may be disadvantageous to play at your best.

The rules tell you to use your best to guess the correct distance. They provide no way to guard against an honest bad guess with fortunate consequences or deliberate overguessing. It's up to us players to decide whether winning is important enough to cheat for.

-T10

Condottiere
25-05-2008, 09:41
I think for cannons it should be okay to estimate 3-4" short of the target.

Damocles8
26-05-2008, 06:48
try 6 condretti....

T10
26-05-2008, 07:24
The cannon's area of effect will end some-where between 2" and 20" from your declared range...

-T10

Braad
26-05-2008, 08:30
Just ask yourself if you want to have friends.
If the answer is "yes", you shouldn't overguess.
If the answer is "no", you can overguess... Actually, you can even start throwing someones mini's around, it doesn't matter anyway. The effect will be the same, though the first may be a bit safer.

Caboose123
26-05-2008, 16:38
Well, as much as all the hate going around here this type of thing does occur.

How far can you define accident?
"Oops i was 12" off... shucks!"

Discussing with your opponent is a definite no-no in my books, having them influence your decision, and even restrict you is too far.

Anyway, i just think you should be kinder to your opponent if it happens, guessing is tricky (esp. for beginners). Unless they wink/smile/laugh/emote/move... ;)

Tuch
26-05-2008, 19:51
If they are only a few (2"-6") off its hard to say they were over guessing. When they are 10" plus is when I start to raise and eyebrow if it was to there advantage to be so wrong.

theunwantedbeing
26-05-2008, 20:02
When your opponent declares their target, make sure they maximise against that particular target.

So no targetting say...dire wolves and then aligning the shot to hit lots of the unit behind but only 1 wolf when you could his several wolves but only 1 of the thing they are screening.

Similarly, if you land some skirmishers inftont of the enemy, they can only guess tiny ranges at that enemy or grapeshot.
No firing in the direction of some knights they now cant see anymore.

Braad
26-05-2008, 21:01
Depending on how much you know your opponent, and how long he is and how good he usually is at guessing ranges, I think most people can judge that at a certain moment the other guy is overguessing.

In my opinion its not about you thinking your opponent is overguessing, but about your opponent who should have the guts to try to beat you in a fair way.