PDA

View Full Version : Fleshhounds and the wolf hunts...

backslide
26-05-2008, 03:37
looking and deamons and rather like the mastery of sorcery tzeentch gift, beasts is a great lore if you get to pick your spells:skull:

was planning to use the wolf hunts on me fleshounds to get those nasty flank charges going... but fleshounds are not quite clased as cavarly.. as they have more than one wound!

kroq'gar
26-05-2008, 03:41
Thats my interpretation. They are on cavalry bases but are in effect monsters (correct me if im wrong)

T10
26-05-2008, 07:33
What, Fleshounds are ogre-sized infantry? US3?

-T10

BloodiedSword
26-05-2008, 08:20
Well, Flesh Hounds are listed in the BRB as being Cavalry on page 88 but this was in reference to the old Hordes of Chaos book. If they are no longer Cavalry then they would indeed be Monsters.

T10, since Flesh Hounds are not on a 40/50mm base they do not fall under "up to &including Ogre sized, Square 40/50mm base, On foot". Instead they would fall under Monsters, like Great Eagles, and be US2.

backslide
26-05-2008, 08:53
its odd and silly they are the only 2 wound thing in the game other than heros on 25 by 50 bases!

logan054
26-05-2008, 11:37
They are cavalry, not monsters, same as bloodcrushers are cavalry, having a extra wound has nothing to do with it, base size dictates such things unless stated otherwise (such as bloodcrushers saying juggernauts are cavalry mounts regardless of the base size).

T10
26-05-2008, 11:55
T10, since Flesh Hounds are not on a 40/50mm base they do not fall under "up to &including Ogre sized, Square 40/50mm base, On foot". Instead they would fall under Monsters, like Great Eagles, and be US2.

Monsters cannot form units, so it follows that Flesh Hounds are not monsters.

-T10

Lord Khabal
26-05-2008, 12:36
You are aware of the fleshhouds MR level? casting Wolf hunts on them is HARD!

Faustburg
26-05-2008, 12:40
You are aware that you don have to use magic resistance if you don't want to?:rolleyes:

EvC
26-05-2008, 14:03
P71 of rulebook clearly indicates that any type of type of model on a cavalry base is cavalry, even without a rider, which "include Flesh Hounds". This honestly could not be any clearer.

fubukii
26-05-2008, 16:24
why not just cast unseen lurker?

EvC
26-05-2008, 16:48
I'm sure there are a dozen good reasons not to that you can think of all by yourself.

fubukii
27-05-2008, 03:58
i seriously cant think of any advantage the wolf hunts has over unseen lurker minus the casting value 2d6 inch move is not nearly as good as a free move, but for sake of the wolf hunts doesnt it work on monsters as well as cav?

sulla
27-05-2008, 06:11
i seriously cant think of any advantage the wolf hunts has over unseen lurker minus the casting value 2d6 inch move is not nearly as good as a free move, but for sake of the wolf hunts doesnt it work on monsters as well as cav?

wolf hunts come from a lore where every spell is easily castable by a lvl2 tzeench herald, unlike the dud-filled lore of shadows. Good enough reason for you? It would be for me...

backslide
27-05-2008, 06:29
wolf hunts come from a lore where every spell is easily castable by a lvl2 tzeench herald, unlike the dud-filled lore of shadows. Good enough reason for you? It would be for me...

got it in one :) bears anger and the herald is actually scary!

decker_cky
27-05-2008, 07:38
Yea...and wolf hunts can be cast fairly dependably on 3 dice by a herald, whereas unseen lurker is a coin toss. Pit of shades is less than 50%, the rest of the lore isn't special.

For beasts, bears anger could be good now and then, crow's feast is decent (generally as good as creeping death at worst), beast cowers is a game winner, and hunters spear is very useful on a flying model. Top to bottom, lore of beasts is probably the best basic lore for a L2 wizard.

kroq'gar
27-05-2008, 07:45
P71 of rulebook clearly indicates that any type of type of model on a cavalry base is cavalry, even without a rider, which "include Flesh Hounds". This honestly could not be any clearer.

Prior to them being revamped.

Does this mean they get +1 save?

decker_cky
27-05-2008, 08:12
No, as they are not mounted, much like chaos hounds. I think you have to accept that line, as it doesn't conflict with any other rules in the book (they do not fit better into any other unit type, cavalry is the 'intuitive' spot for them, etc..). The daemon prince line on page 6 still fits as well, as daemon princes still DO follow some of the rules for monsters (since some includes the possibility of all). I actually don't think the new rules invalidate these lines unless you find something that's directly conflicting.

EvC
27-05-2008, 09:58
Prior to them being revamped.

Does this mean they get +1 save?

If they got it before, they get it now. Did they get it before? No. So obviously they don't get it now either.

kroq'gar
27-05-2008, 10:15
Mmm... see, i'm running off the rules for weapons teams. the efforts they go to to draw parallels to cavalry & on a cavalry base always made me view hounds etc as just large R&F.

EDIT:

If they got it before, they get it now. Did they get it before? No. So obviously they don't get it now either.

Im actually learning something here that flips almost a decades gameplaying, so try not to shout me down please. The above is my understanding.

EvC
27-05-2008, 11:11
I'm not shouting you down, it's called answering the question you asked me directly. Please don't take being corrected when wrong as being a personal attack- it'd made this forum very chilly if everyone did so. Flesh Hounds being revamped does not matter one little bit to whether they are cavalry or if they get an armour save. Why would you think it does? Yeah, the extra wound makes them a bit differernt, but they still fit the bill.