PDA

View Full Version : Different Path Exarchs

gunhed
21-04-2005, 18:57
OK, so if an Eldar gets stuck in an aspect whilst on the Path of the Warrior, he becomes an Exarch.

But would the different paths have an equivelent? I mean would a Bonesinger become stuck on that path and spend the rest of his life doing Interior Design or something or Emperor forbid, the plumbing?

And I suppose the artists would spend their lives trying to get "the hands" right as well.

Just a thought.

Puffin Magician
21-04-2005, 19:12
Are you talking about if Bonesingers "walk the path" like Exarchs do? IIRC they're a tangent of the Farseer "path".

Bonesingers create everything from shrines to Scorpion Superheavy Grav Tanks, they're weapon artisans just as much as they're artists.

f2k
21-04-2005, 20:38
I believe that any Eldar can be caught on any Path. A Warrrior becomes an Exarch, A Warlock becomes a Farseer and so on…

What would a Bonesinger become?

I would imagine that he becomes some sort of Master Craftsman – the best in the field, the one that teaches all the younger would-be Bonesingers…

Hellebore
22-04-2005, 06:52
That is the gist of it- any eldar on any path can become trapped if they delve too deeply. its just that because seers and aspects are ususally only associated with war they are seen in the fluff.

Imagine what a baker exarch would have :eek:

+10 to bake and a power rolling pin! :p

Hellebore

Inquisitor Engel
22-04-2005, 07:05
Are you talking about if Bonesingers "walk the path" like Exarchs do? IIRC they're a tangent of the Farseer "path".
I can't recall Bonesingers being put on a specific path anywhere in the fluff, unless it was before my time.

Personally, I'd prefer to see them have their own Path. Their talents are psychic yes, but so are Banshee Wails and Mandi-Blasters, and THEY'RE not on the Path of the Seer are they? (Very pedantic I know, but there we are.)

I'd prefer even Warlocks to be on a different Path than that of the Seer. If the rules for Farseers change to be more tactical and scrying than offensive as some of them are now, it would make sense. The Warlock has chosen to use his psychic skills for battle, to wage war and to harm others. It's fundamentally different than the use Farseers put their talents to.

Truth be told, there's no conclusive path-diagram. I think a sample as part of it would be rather nice though. We'll see.

DantesInferno
22-04-2005, 07:13
I'd prefer even Warlocks to be on a different Path than that of the Seer. If the rules for Farseers change to be more tactical and scrying than offensive as some of them are now, it would make sense. The Warlock has chosen to use his psychic skills for battle, to wage war and to harm others. It's fundamentally different than the use Farseers put their talents to.

IIRC the Warlocks are Eldar who are currently on the Path of the Seer, but who have at some point also walked the Path of the Warrior (but obviously not become Exarchs), and the Farseers where the Exarch equivalents of the Path of the Seer (ie gone too far, unable to seperate themselves from their path persona).

Which begs the question - who are the Eldar who walk the Path of the Seer but not permanently (ie Farseers) and who have not walked the Path of the Warrior either (ie Warlocks)? Probably just psykers with minor forseeing abilities, but not of much use in a battle.

charlie_c67
22-04-2005, 10:49
I thought all Eldar had to walk on one path or another?

Sai-Lauren
22-04-2005, 10:49
Well, exarchs seem to basically get addicted to combat, killing and so on, and are unable to pull themselves away. As it's probably one of the most emotional things an eldar can do, I'd say that the likelihood of an eldar getting trapped on another path is low - IIRC from the original description of the paths, Farseers aren't what Brusilov (I think it was Brusilov at least, I apologise if I've got it wrong) once classed on Portent V1 as Primary Practicioners of the path of the seer - like exarchs are for the warrior path, but a (dead end) path in it's own right. You don't get there by being a seer - although some would progress that way, but you're just as likely to take the farseer path if you're currently a gardener or aspect warrior, as the farseers choose their own successors based on their readings of the future.

As was pointed out earlier, warlocks are those on the path of the seer who've had previous experience on the path of the warrior, but there are others on the path of the seer who havn't, or maybe some that have but choose not to take the warlock mask, maybe they act as the (telepathic) communications trooper for each guardian squad, or healers for the wounded and so on. The path of the seer doesn't automatically mean they're precognitive, more that they're currently exploring their own psychic potential in as safe a way as they can, whether that's foresight, telepathy, bonesinging, telekenesis, or whatever.

Going back to the original question, there may be some eldar who're trapped on non-combat paths, but they would be very rare indeed. Some craftworlds may not have any at all.

And an eldar's path changes seem arbitrary - if you have three eldar who leave (say) the banshee aspect at the same time, one of them might become a seer, one might become a navigator on an eclipse cruiser, and the third might take the path of the parent, and try and add another eldar to the craftworld. Some time later, the first two might switch again, this time to say diplomat and gardener respectively, whilst the third goes a year later still to become a technician looking after the infinity circuit, before they all eventually meet up again as aspect warriors - but this time two are fire dragons, and one's a swooping hawk.
There's no set time for an eldar to stay on a path, and no set progression afterwards - if there's a gap in eldar society, then someone will step up and fill it.

I thought all Eldar had to walk on one path or another?
Well, all craftworld ones do - even if it's the path of the outcase (rangers etc) or dead ends like the path of the damned, or the path of the harlequin.

charlie_c67
22-04-2005, 11:05
So you could for instance get the path of th interior decorator? What happens if you got stuck on that? An Eldar version of Laurence Llwellyn-Bowen? :eek:

gunhed
22-04-2005, 15:32
I imagine they'd get stuck for the rest of their lives "trying to get the wallpaper to hang right". ;)

lord_fenric
22-04-2005, 15:40
IIRC the Warlocks are Eldar who are currently on the Path of the Seer, but who have at some point also walked the Path of the Warrior (but obviously not become Exarchs), and the Farseers where the Exarch equivalents of the Path of the Seer (ie gone too far, unable to seperate themselves from their path persona).

I think it makes more sense to assume that the path of the seer has many 'ways' which can be trodden just as the path of the warrior has many aspects.
So the warlocks are those eldar who have chosen to develop their psychic powers along a more destructive path.

This however raises the problem that whilst the path of the warrior has many aspects, each with associated PP's, the way of the seer only has one, the Farseer. It this a case that despite having many ways, warlock, seer, bonesinger etc, that the path only has one PP (which makes no sense) or that the other are just not seen due to the game orientation of the presnted fluff.

DantesInferno
22-04-2005, 15:46
I think it makes more sense to assume that the path of the seer has many 'ways' which can be trodden just as the path of the warrior has many aspects.
So the warlocks are those eldar who have chosen to develop their psychic powers along a more destructive path.

This however raises the problem that whilst the path of the warrior has many aspects, each with associated PP's, the way of the seer only has one, the Farseer. It this a case that despite having many ways, warlock, seer, bonesinger etc, that the path only has one PP (which makes no sense) or that the other are just not seen due to the game orientation of the presnted fluff.

That's a fair enough alternative, I was merely describing the way the Path system existed according to the 2nd ed Eldar Codex. Though it makes enough sense that the Eldar on the Path of the Seer who exert such overtly destructive and offensive psychic powers, the Warlocks, would be the ones who had already learn to control the destructive side of their psyche on the Path of the Warrior (not to mention learning the combat skills necessary for the battlefield).

Flame Boy
23-04-2005, 17:37
Personally I don't think non-combat paths with trapped members won't be as rare as you'd expect... think about it... humans get addicted to the path of "Everquest player" and can't turn back, imagine how obsessive the Eldar would be in this respect? :p

I would imagine that it's just as easy to get trapped on the path of the chef as it is to become an exarch. I would imagine Eldar frequently devote their lives to creating the perfect spiced wine, for example.

I also liked the mention of the path of the parent. I'd never really considered this before, but it would make a lot of sense to me why the Eldar are dying... if they have to learn how to become a parent and raise childeren, yet are pressured into becoming warriors to save the race, you have conflicting interests. Do you think an "Exarch" of the path of the parent becomes an "au pair" or a "nanny"? :D