PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts of Saphery High elves

Time of Madness
26-05-2008, 20:19
GOAL: To create a themed united Saphery based list using the following items (archers/spearmen/ swordmasters/silver helms/eagles/bolt throwers).

A little one sided as far as magic/shooting go, but I really like the theme and feel of the list.

Here's a quick look at the list.

CHARACTERS

Noble (general)
- Dragon Armour and shield
- Radient Gem of Hoeth (level 1)
= 138pts

Archmage
- level 4
- Book of Hoeth
= 360pts

Mage
- Level 2
- 2 Dispel Scrolls
- Silver Wand
= 185pts

CORE

10 Archers
- Musician
= 115pts

10 Archers
- Musician
= 115pts

SPECIAL

17 Swordmasters
- Full command with amulet of light (magical attacks)
- Banner of Sorcery
= 350pts

12 Swordmasters
- Musician
= 186pts

5 Silver Helms
- Musician and shields
= 123pts

5 Silver Helms
- Musician and shields
= 123pts

RARE

2 Eagles
= 100pts

2 Bolt Throwers
= 200pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1995pts

Casting Dice = 9 + D3
Dispel Dice = 6 + 2 scrolls

The plan is to obviously whittle the enemy down with shooting/magic and hopefully my swordmasters combined with the helms can win some combats.

The noble's unit is pretty tough in combat with 14 magical attacks striking first. The plan for the noble is either to take the shield of saphery spell or against undead/daemons to take burning gaze from the lore of light.

Opinions?
Time of Madness

WhiteKnight
27-05-2008, 02:38
Take out the silver helms. They have no use at unit str 10 so instead, add a chariot or combine the unit and make them one large unit of silver helms.

Marwynn
27-05-2008, 03:53
Actually they're okay as cheap screens and rank deniers.

I second the advice from Ulthuan.net, make the Archy your general and turn that Noble into a BSB. He's kinda weak as he is, so he has the RGoH and Dragon Armour... No Great Weapon, no Shield, no Mount, etc.

Also your main SM unit is a bit large. 14 is the max I'd recommend, the rest are too vulnerable. I'd use the freed points by giving the second SM unit some goodies. The Lion Banner would be nice. Or you can use it to pay for the BSB upgrade.

If you're wondering where to find the points drop the musicians on the Archers. That'll buy you a Great Weapon and a Shield for the Noble at least.

I think it's a bit of a gamble to rely on two killy units and their screens at this points level; hence recommending a BSB. But if you screen them properly and get them into combat they should do well. Oh and if the Silver Helms don't figure prominently in your plans, consider the Reavers.

Time of Madness
27-05-2008, 14:01
Thanks for the comments gents,

Looks like I will have to re-work the list with my archmage as the general and the noble fulfilling the need for a bsb.

@The white knight - A lot of people seem to have no respect for the helms now a days. They are still a pretty strong unit and great as flankers/diverters. The unit doesn't cost much point wise and can be sacraficed if needed. They still pack a bit of a bunch with 10 attacks and can definitly still remove smaller units.

Time of Madness

EndlessBug
27-05-2008, 14:20
definately stick with the helms if you're not up for incoporating dragon princes. doubling them up to 10 gets you no where, 1 model dead and you pretty much lose the only bonus this gives you anyway.

The noble is pretty pointless atm as has been said, definately give him a gw by dropping the musicians on the archers.

18 is a decent sized unit, although a little cost ineffective.

isidril93
27-05-2008, 14:36
give the noble a great weapon...it makes him a swordmaster lord doesnt it

Time of Madness
30-05-2008, 13:46
give the noble a great weapon...it makes him a swordmaster lord doesnt it

No such thing, but I think I will take the advice and upgrade him to a bsb and drop the radient gem of hoeth.

I may take the white sword and tailsmen of Loec to keep in theme. It makes him pretty deadly in combat, but very vulnerable.
Time of Madness