PDA

View Full Version : GW Display Cabinets

Templar Ben
27-05-2008, 01:12
Does anyone know from where GW orders their display cabinets? I am referring of course to the 6' glass ones.

Kelkyen
27-05-2008, 03:22
Does anyone know from where GW orders their display cabinets? I am referring of course to the 6' glass ones.

Store fixtures are sold all over thew place. I Googled "store display case" and the first result was here: http://www.storefixture.com/product.php?prod=2437 which looks like what local US east coast stores use.

The $1300 price tag might make you choke. It's common for store fixtures (actually, anything for a business) to cost more than it's worth. Everyone assumes businesses have money, which isn't the case for mom & pop stores who often can't afford the pretty store furniture.

If you want a display case for personal use or to start a small business, I'd suggest looking for someone "going out of business" and talk to the managers/owner and see what they want for one. A used case may run $200 - $800 depending on size and condition. Be warned, they are heavy and taking some of them apart or even moving them can break the glass, and one pane of glass can run $50 or more.

If you want to build one, some wood and skill can get you a nice one for under $200, or all but free if you scrounge. The biggest expense will be glass and standards/arms for the glass. Planning is key, you need space above each level and have to consider disassembly in the future, as you will need to take it appart one day. If you add lights it could be a fire hazard with incandescent bulbs, so I'd consider the newer LED lights which have very little heat and use less power.

That help?

Edit - Also, if buying from someone going out of business, don't get mad if they agree to sell it to you after close, then later tell you some big buyer came in and bought everything out. After all, thats business.

Ravenous
27-05-2008, 03:28
I recall GW would give them to stores for free if they placed a $4000 dollar order, but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

As for right now you can get one from GW if you know the right people

RevEv
27-05-2008, 08:14
If you're looking for display cabinets for the home then IKEA do some great cabinets, including a free standing glass one.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10011055

blongbling
27-05-2008, 08:42
the ones GW use are very expensive...id suggest Ikea ones instead

leonmallett
27-05-2008, 08:59
If you're looking for display cabinets for the home then IKEA do some great cabinets, including a free standing glass one.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10011055

I use one of thse Ikea cabinets and plan to get a second soon ( alovely present from my long-suffering other half). The only downside is the 12" clearance for each shelf, meaning there is a lot of unused space. I have overcome this by buying some transparent acrylic CD holders from Muji that sit at the back of each shelf, allowing more models to be displayed without overly compromising the aesthetics.

Binky
27-05-2008, 09:10
I use one of thse Ikea cabinets and plan to get a second soon ( alovely present from my long-suffering other half). The only downside is the 12" clearance for each shelf, meaning there is a lot of unused space. I have overcome this by buying some transparent acrylic CD holders from Muji that sit at the back of each shelf, allowing more models to be displayed without overly compromising the aesthetics.

I'd looked at those cabinets but noticed the problem you mention about too much clearance, are the shelves adjustable at all? And would it be possible to just add extra shelves if you could get the right size glass and correct fittings? Or are all the shelf positions completely fixed?

leonmallett
27-05-2008, 09:12
I'd looked at those cabinets but noticed the problem you mention about too much clearance, are the shelves adjustable at all? And would it be possible to just add extra shelves if you could get the right size glass and correct fittings? Or are all the shelf positions completely fixed?

The shelves are fixed due to an internal metal frame, so no possible adjustment. That said, there are various suppliers of acrylic display stands so you may be able to find a solution similar to mine that you could find satisfactory. Plus at the price, I think the Ikea cabinets are a bargain.

Count Zero
27-05-2008, 10:35
leon, do u have a link to the muji product? i have the same cabinet and agree the spacing is too far apart. and cause its fixed/welded cant easily add in another self.

if you can fix to the wall i think this one looks good.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00093136

leonmallett
27-05-2008, 11:01
This is the CD rack. Link (http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?V=1&Sec=3&Sub=17&PID=175&CHK=Y)

They work out on the pricey side (just under 14 GBP), but you may equally be able to find alternatives.

I have them at the back of the shelf on one of the longest sides, open towards the front of the shelves, leaving a clearance of about 4 inches or so from the top to the next shelf, and just over 5" within the shelves formed by the CD racks. A Rhino/Whirlwind/Razorback etc can fit neatly into one of the four compartments, and along side one of those I can fit a 60Mm base with room to spare. another has 6 terminators on 40mm bases and a Dreadnought, whilst another has two Carnifexes and a Lictor to give you a sense of what can fit on. I'd say 15-18 models (depending on spacing) on 25, round bases could fit comfortably.

In Warhammer terms a unit on 25mm bases of 5 wide and 4 deep with movement tray looks able to fit each compartment, or on 20mm bases a unit up to 7 wide and 5 deep with movement tray.

Count Zero
27-05-2008, 11:30
thx

i wonder if this would work:
http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?V=1&Sec=3&Sub=17&PID=181&CHK=Y

they also have a slighty smaller one too.

leonmallett
27-05-2008, 11:36
The stand in the link will give a space of around 6cm each side of the stand to the walls of the cabinet. The shelves are approximately 38cm wide, 28cm deep and 38cm high.

RevEv
27-05-2008, 22:26
Wheras the original link I gave was my dream cabinet I actually use their billy range of book cases with glass doors and some glass shelves so it is far more flexible and overcomes the gapping issue. Also, being book cases, I can keep my books at the bottom (I use a tall cabinet).

snurl
28-05-2008, 07:05
One of my miniature cabinets is actually a gun cabinet. I got it on sale.
I had some glass shelves made at the paint and glass place, then popped them in.