PDA

View Full Version : Multiple wound items/machines vs saves.

Shimmergloom
21-10-2005, 12:18
When do you take an armor save or ward save in relation to being wounded by a cannon or stone thrower or any item that causes D3 or D6 wounds?

Say a character is wounded by a cannon. No armor saves, but he has a 4+ ward save.

Do you roll for the D6 wounds first, then he rolls for his ward saves.

Or do you roll that ward save first and if he rolls the 4+ it cancels out the D6 wound roll?

And where do they cover this in the BRB. I looked and looked, but can't find anything that specifically covers it.

Griefbringer
21-10-2005, 12:31
You roll first all armour and ward saves. If those fail, you then roll for the number of wounds.

I do not have BRB at hand, so cannot give an exact page number.

T10
21-10-2005, 13:03
The sequence is:

Roll to wound
Roll saves: armour, then ward
Multiply wounds

-T10

chivalrous
21-10-2005, 14:37
T10 has it correct!

there are oddball effects of certain magic items though.

For example in the case of the Bretonnian Amulet of the Quest which has caused problems in games I've been involved in:-

a character has 3 wounds:-

1.Roll to wound
2.Take Armour and ward saves
3. If saves failed multiply wounds
4. If there aren't enough wounds caused to kill the character, remove as many wounds that are caused
5.If there are enough wounds caused to take the character below 1 wound, Character takes as many wounds as are needed to reduce him to 1 wound.
6. Character takes a single 3+ ward save for the amulet to prevent the hit causing any more wounds, not one per wound as some players may think.
6.the character lives/dies

Lord Setra
21-10-2005, 14:47
Yeah you usually roll to wound then take saves.

The problem occurs when you face characters who have a magical save when they get down to their last wound.

I have always played that the save is ignored because the character is not being taken down wound by wound but instead taking a large blow which could result in instant death.

chivalrous
21-10-2005, 15:09
Yeah you usually roll to wound then take saves.

The problem occurs when you face characters who have a magical save when they get down to their last wound.

I have always played that the save is ignored because the character is not being taken down wound by wound but instead taking a large blow which could result in instant death.

Unless the item description states otherwise, which the Amulet of the Quest does, albiet in a not particularly good way.:rolleyes:

Lord Setra
21-10-2005, 15:14
Yeah you got to look at it back to front upside down, phone the rulz boyz then write it down yourslef just to get a decent definition of it.