PDA

View Full Version : Daemons of Chaos: Can pure Khorne work?

Megad00mer
27-05-2008, 18:17
I was toying with the idea of making a 1000pt pure Khornate daemons of chaos army to start playing Warhammer with my friends. I could get the army up fairly quickly due to the low model count and I love idea of a Khornate host of crimson daemonic death screaming across the table at my opponent.

One of my friends, (Dark Elf player) uses a VERY magic heavy list. For example, he takes 3, lvl2 Sorceresses in a 1000pt game. 8 power dice hurt. He also has 2 units of RxBs as well, along with Bolt Throwers. My question is, can a pure Khornate army at 1000pts have any hope of winning against an army like this, or do I have to include some daemons from other gods to stand a chance. I'd really prefer not to, but I'm open to suggestions.

Sample 1000pt army lists would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dexter099
27-05-2008, 18:23
Since they don't have frenzy, yes.

Your Magic Resistance will hold off some of his spells, but you will need to use those dispel dice wisely. Most of his spells will be short ranged though, if he uses dark magic.

stampy
27-05-2008, 18:26
You obviously sacrifice shooting and magic, but they are awsome in the combat phase and be made into a quite speedy army.

Always take furies (they're not knorne but not part of any other god or undivided so justified) for warmachine and wizard hunting

minionboy
27-05-2008, 19:14
Your MR and 2 dispel dice alone isn't going to provide enough protection from magic heavy armies. Armies which are magic heavy (Tzeentch, VC, HE, Lizardmen, etc.) are going to tear you limb from limb before you even set a finger on them.

If you are going to go all Khorne, focus on units with high MR, like Flesh Hounds, give your BT the collar of Khorne, and anything else you can do to raise your MR. Spell Breaker may or may not be worth it, depending on how you kit out your BT.

isidril93
27-05-2008, 19:20
all khorne will work best in smaller games where there is very little magic
but your friend takes more magic than i do in a 2k army
if you get just 1 herald of tzeentch you could take a spellbreaker and 1 dispel dice but still be sticking with korne as your main
if you do manage to et to them you will destroy them if you have enough models left

minionboy
27-05-2008, 19:32
Yeah, something else you have to watch out for in Khorne are enemies casting beneficial spells. Things like Flaming Sword of Rhuin, Warrior Priests Blessings, Tree Singing, Steed of Shadows, the list goes on... Oh, also some nasty spells like Comet of Cassendora, aren't affected by MR. You almost always are going to have to take Spell Breaker on your Blood Thirster, a Comet can really ruin your day.

Aflo
27-05-2008, 20:53
Consider the Great Standard of Sundering on a Khorne BSB. It means that all spells cast from a lore of your choice are at a -2 casting penalty - useful for shutting down a magic phase, especially when they use just 1 lore through all thier mages.

minionboy
27-05-2008, 21:46
Yeah, that standard is basically necessary, but it still wont really save you against beneficial magic spells. I agree with the option to use a Tzeentch herald, if you want to make it fluffy, have him be enslaved by your blood thirster to defend him. :P

FallenScholar
28-05-2008, 21:03
Pure anything will work except for pure Slaanesh. GW bastards!!!!!

Fallen Scholar

fubukii
28-05-2008, 21:22
pure slannesh works fine, fiends are a great unit, and the keeper of secrets is solid

Daemonettes are ok for core choices, and seekers get that lovely only hold reaction banner.

Embalmed
29-05-2008, 10:58
Between the Great Standard of Sundering and your MR I think you should be able to withstand spells reasonably well, ok you can only dispel 2 of them but chances are he'll fail some spells and miscast now and then.

After the Sorceresses and RxB are paid for he won't have much left and those can be taken care of by your BT one by one from round 2 onward.

minionboy
29-05-2008, 18:01
Between the Great Standard of Sundering and your MR I think you should be able to withstand spells reasonably well, ok you can only dispel 2 of them but chances are he'll fail some spells and miscast now and then.

After the Sorceresses and RxB are paid for he won't have much left and those can be taken care of by your BT one by one from round 2 onward.

You're still confusing offensive magic and supportive magic.

If the enemy is smart, they'll be casting spells on their own troops. All the MR in the world is not going to do anything against Sigmar Blessings, Unseen Lurker, Bear's Anger, Tree Singing, Death Frenzy, any Necromancy Spell (Danse Macabre, Raise Dead, IoN), Comet of Casendora, the list goes on and on and on. You'd be fortunate if the enemy gave you 2 spells you had a chance to dispel, let alone being able to solidly dispel 2 a turn.

If this is for a friendly game against an opponent with a single level 2 sorcerer at most, then you should be fine. If you plan on using this in larger games (over 1k points), or competitively, you're going to be in a whole world of hurt.

klstrider28
29-05-2008, 19:57
Yeah, that standard is basically necessary, but it still wont really save you against beneficial magic spells. I agree with the option to use a Tzeentch herald, if you want to make it fluffy, have him be enslaved by your blood thirster to defend him. :P

forget tzeentch

bloodthirsters can still be upgraded with spellbreaker and the collar of khorne for 40pts. that still leaves 60 pts at your disposal...

minionboy
29-05-2008, 21:05
forget tzeentch

bloodthirsters can still be upgraded with spellbreaker and the collar of khorne for 40pts. that still leaves 60 pts at your disposal...

I agree that Collar of Khorne and Spell Breaker are great upgrades, but 1 Dispel Scroll isn't going to make your army stand up to magic. Tzeentch herald for a second dispel scroll plus an additional dispel dice will pick up a lot of slack.

Death Korp
31-05-2008, 18:57
The OP is wanting a 1000pt list, Bloodthristers are Lords aren't they? So they can't be used in games less than 2000pts.

Pure Khorne does work, and is very lethal whne they get the charges in (especially Bloodcrushers!!!)

DK

minionboy
31-05-2008, 19:08
The OP is wanting a 1000pt list, Bloodthristers are Lords aren't they? So they can't be used in games less than 2000pts.

Pure Khorne does work, and is very lethal whne they get the charges in (especially Bloodcrushers!!!)

DK

In 1k points, nearly anything works TBH, but if his opponent is using 3 level 2 sorcerers (which if you read the OP, he tends to do), he is still going to be hurting with 2 Dispel Dice and 0 Dispel Scrolls, regardless of their MR. Against a "standard" army at 1k points, pure Khorne would probably do fine.

If the OP wants to go beyond 2k points, they should definitely invest in a Tzeentch herald at least.

BoneHeart
31-05-2008, 20:20
I've came up with the same problem here. Beating a magician army with pure khorne its more than hard.Things i suggest
1.Bloodcrushers. 8" move is more than awesome.
2.Furies. If u dont want to kill fluff, these guys can be your friends. Hunt down sorcerers with them, and use bloodcrushers for fast support.

Khorne army is pure pwnage, just try to get everything locked in cc ASAP! And make sorcerers the hightest priority.

Hope it helps!
~BoneHeart

Xaskus
31-05-2008, 21:12
Do you mean Flesh Hounds? Bloodcrushers have movement 7.

BoneHeart
01-06-2008, 13:22
Yes,sorry for that :)

Fulgrim's-Chosen
01-06-2008, 22:16
Minion Boy - consider what the others are saying about the Great Standard of Sundering - that thing is quite powerful.

It doesn't matter if the enemy is casting "beneficial" spells, or whatever they might be - ALL spells cast from the Chosen Lore (by the Daemon Player at the beginning of the game, but after spell Lores are already announced and spells have been rolled for) get a -2 penalty on the Wizard's casting roll.

Example. The Wizard needs a 5+ to get off Flaming Sword of Rhuin. Aha ! He rolled two dice and got a 6 (5, 1) for his combined roll ! He gets it ! Wait...no...no he doesn't ! The -2 Penalty that the Daemon Player put upon the Lore of Fire, means the Wizard "really" rolled a "4", which is not enough to cast the Flaming Sword. Crap. Spell fails.

Etc. etc. That's how the Great Standard works. So it WOULD be hugely helpful for Khorne, as it would work against the "annoying stuff" that many lists can toss around, even if Magic Resistance would normally not help the Khornies against those types of spells.

------------------

That said, here's a strong (I think) mono-Khorne list I came up with just now to help MegaDoomer (the OP) :

- KHORNE DAEMONIC PLATOON -

General- Herald of Khorne with Firestorm Blade, Armor of Khrone, and riding the (essential!!!) Juggernaut

Battle Standard Bearer- Herald of Khorne with Firestorm Blade, Armor of Khorne, the Battle Standard (Great Standard of Sundering), and riding the (essential!!!) Juggernaut

14 Bloodletters with Champion, Standard Bearer, Icon of Endless War
(Battle Standard Bearer can go in this unit)

11 Bloodletters with Champion, Musician (General goes with these guys)

5 Flesh Hounds

-----------------
Total: 997 pts.
-----------------

* It's not much, given the cost of the Daemons, but if you charge the snot out of him, you might be okay. Remember that the Icon of Endless War will add distance to your first charge of the game, and you should be moving up 10-inches+ with every unit each round.

Don't forget also that you can "suicide" (not really) your General or BSB out from the unit (14-inch charge on Juggernaut !) as a surprise attack on a lone enemy Wizard or just charge the front of a unit where the Wizard is, and direct all your Killing Blow attacks at her to quickly shred her. Even if the enemy defends her with a Challenge, you should slaughter the Challenger and win the combat anyways, with Overkill ! (Remember, the Heralds of Khorne, on Juggernauts, have 5 Killing Blow attacks that they can re-roll misses for in the first round of the combat via their Hatred ability !!!).

Your Heralds are extremely resilient too...with a 0+ Armor Save and a 5+ Ward Save as their defenses. They should be able to walk all over most of the Dark Elf army unless you really have poor luck and keep rolling "1's" or "2's" for most of their saves ;)

Ideally, with 1000-pt armies, you are not playing on a huge table (4x4 would be best, but 6x4 should be the max for a small fight like this), so you should be in his lines in 2-turns (max) - Deploy on Frontline (24 inches apart usually)...March 10 (now 14 inches apart and depending on HIS moves, you should be able to declare some charges on Turn 2, particularly with the March-16//Charge-16 Flesh Hounds !).

Anyways - good luck and I hope this was helpful.

-----------------

* Alternate List *

Herald of Khorne on Juggernaut, as above (GENERAL)

Herald of Khorne on foot (ick) with Armor of Khorne (BSB, Standard/Sunder)

11 Bloodletters, Musician

11 Bloodletters

5 Flesh Hounds

5 Flesh Hounds

-----

1000 points, exactly, with somewhat faster, but frailer, core troopers. It does give you another very fast unit with Magic Resistance (3), if that's what you're after.