PDA

View Full Version : Slann Tactica

Malcador
28-05-2008, 08:28
Hi all,

I'm thinking of making a lizardmen army for next years Dutch GT (Slow painter, so I'll need the time) It's 2200 points, and I'm torn between an oldblood and a slann as general.
Now, that's not what this thread is about, but more of how to get the most out of a slann-mage. Are there any nasty magic spells combos out there, cause I can't see them.

Most people make him 2nd gen and put him in a big block of temple guard: Not really a fan of this, because it severely cripples the rest of the army, as the points add up. Also, every time I played against a 2nd gen in a block of temple guard with my Ogres, I won, simply by introducing this block to Ironguts and the Tyrant (ergo: every army has a unit that can severly maul temple guard)

What seems to be the best idea imo is to make him 4th gen, give him the plaque that gives him a 2+ ward save against ranged weapons, and have him floating on his own, have 2 more skink priest and rule the magic phase.

the main thing I can't figure out is: what magic spells/lore combo would be the best, and justifies him over an oldblood?

Thanks for the help

Lord Khabal
28-05-2008, 08:33
I think people usually stick to a lore that works best depending on the oponent, but a common version is the machine-gun Slaan, with lots of fireballs and its variants.
And dont forget the +1 spell plaque.

The_Dragon_Rising
28-05-2008, 08:35
Try http://www.pyramidvault.net/tactics/slann/slann01.asp for a good tactica.

On top of that i prefer running my slaan solo and he has plaque of protection, plaque of tepok, diadem of power, and 2nd gen. I usually roll 2 on fire, 1 on light, 1 on death and 1 on shadow unless i really need a spell such as last metal spell vs chaos warrior army or beast cowers against dragon heavy high elves.

Cortomaltese
28-05-2008, 14:54
slann + Bane head + first metal spell..
if u can cast it twice, it means the death of any enemy well armoured lord, once for killing an hero..

it's is too good to leave! u can both cast with lots of dice and hope for an IF, or last it till the end of the magic phase, and then release it..
i can do a long, long list of all characters i killed with that nasty combo ;)

kill a vampire, ora a chaos caster in the first turn, and you'll get rid of DD and maybe scrolls, making the rest of the game much easier for your magic!

Malcador
28-05-2008, 20:38
That's low, underhanded and just plain dirty.

I like it :D

N810
28-05-2008, 20:54
Heres an unusual way to use the slan...

Slaan Phalanx
http://www.pyramidvault.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1988

Horus38
28-05-2008, 21:05
Thanks for the tip Cortomaltese I'll have to try that out with my slann.

Another thing I've come across is giving the slann the staff of sorcery for a +2 dispel. It certainly depends on your opponent but really helps shut down TK in particular.

The Anarchist
28-05-2008, 21:19
i would suggest for a lore High magic, thats the high elfs magic lore btw, and yes they can use it. get the slann in a relativly small unit of normla Saurus, this unit cna take all the pummeling from range and then if gets seriously nailed you cna always exit the slan out the back and still carry on magic-ing thru your skink preists.

I dont ahve lizardman rule book to hand to lsit quipment for Slann, but dragon rising has a pretty sweet line up if i remember the items correctly. as for beating an old blood in the present incarnation of heroes oldblood is jsut a little bit lacking in hard-ass ness, and with lizards the slann leadership is enough to hold the center and cold-blooded rule normlay means most units will hold if an akward moment pops up without a higher leadership.

Loopstah
28-05-2008, 22:16
i would suggest for a lore High magic, thats the high elfs magic lore btw, and yes they can use it.

Erm... no they can't.

The Slann can use any lore in the BRB, High Magic isn't in the BRB ergo they can't use it.

The Anarchist
28-05-2008, 22:38
if i remember correctly they can use high magic, though this was maybe 18 months ago i last looked at lizardman rule book.

Loopstah
28-05-2008, 22:40
if i remember correctly they can use high magic, though this was maybe 18 months ago i last looked at lizardman rule book.

There's a Lizardmen only spell called Drain Magic that some Slann can use, but it works differently to the spell called Drain Magic the High Elves get, and doesn't require High Magic to use.

That might be what confused you.

JayMack
28-05-2008, 22:44
Funny, while we're on that subject. It doesn't actually say what lores a slann can choose from, whether it's restricted to just the standard 8 or not? >.<

Loopstah
28-05-2008, 22:47
Funny, while we're on that subject. It doesn't actually say what lores a slann can choose from, whether it's restricted to just the standard 8 or not? >.<

"He may use any lore from the Warhammer Rulebook" pg 49

huitzilopochtli
29-05-2008, 00:40
i've found my slann works best like this;

4th gen slann, plaque of dominion or protection depending on enemy, plaque of tepok, diadem of power, BSB. this is pretty standard.

however, i don't believe in putting slann in units of temple guard. i use a block of 20-25 saurus with the spawnings of quetzel and tlaxcotl instead for two reasons; it provides them with the same armour save as TG without the high cost and TG are not immune to psychology, which means outnumbering fear causers will topple your 400 point unit in no time.

i usually sit this in the middle of my army, with protection on both flanks and allow it to be charged by weaker units, while using skinks to gain the charge over cavalry etc. my slann can comfortably cast 3-4 spells a turn while granting rerolls to break tests where they're needed.

PS, thanks to Cortomaltese for the bane head trick. i'll definitely be working that into my routine, it's brilliant!

Krusty
29-05-2008, 00:46
"He may use any lore from the Warhammer Rulebook" pg 49

You, sir JayMack, have just been owned.

Cycorax
29-05-2008, 02:34
The slann is just awesome, just do whatever you can to not lose him!
I'm also going to use this metal lore hero sniping trick, perfect for those sneaky rats with brass orbs of doom!

Necronoxz
29-05-2008, 17:55
Hey, GT of dutch? so your from holland? (als het zo is ik ook :P hehehe)

but I alway's use a slann on his own, giving him a 2+ ward save, the bane head, the plaque that give him an extra spell. So a slann mage priest with 5 spell's a 2+ wardsave and a item that give him double wounds on an enemy character.

Rolling my spell's:
I alway's look what kind of army I stand up to.
Does he have mutch magic? or mutch armoured unit's or mutch warmachine's,
The first spell I roll is on lore of methal,
If I roll the 2d6 s4 spell or the last spell 2d6 sx hit's These 2 I alway's keep.
If I roll a other spell what I cant use I alway's go for the first spell ;) to kill characters :).
than I choise another lore For example lore of death. If I dont roll the 2d6 s4 hit spell I choise the first spell d6s4 hit's. THen the next lore for example lore of fire, and so on and so on. So usealy I have around 4 or 5 dmg spells!!!!!!!!!!!

To fill up your army:
Personly I alway's go for 2 skink priest's (both lvl2), they will help the LOS for my slann and they have both 2 spells to cast before my slann does anything. so mayby I get some DD form my enemy :D

take terradon's to hunt enemy wizard's and war machines.

I personly alway's take about 50 skinks I want to pick more If I have the points ;)

than U get the coise or go for tempel guards (not my favorite), or go for kroxies and sally's, or just simple go for the saurus warior's!!!!

I hope this will help out.

Regards, Bas