PDA

View Full Version : imperial warhound weapons

officer kerky
28-05-2008, 09:05
hi guys
if this isn't in the right place pleaz move it. anyway back to the subject what should i be putting on my warhound titan i will be buying soon. i was thinking that i could give him 2 mega volcan bolters. so could someone help me

Thylacine
28-05-2008, 09:13
Turbo laser and Plasma Blast-gun, the Vulcan Mega-bolter is nice too but since it lost 'Rending' it seems to have fallen out of favor. BTW which FW model are you getting as (from memory) the Mars pattern is limited to just two weapons.

RCgothic
28-05-2008, 09:19
There's nothing wrong with the vulcan megabolter, it's just that Heavy 15 pales a bit in comparison with a S10 or SD Ordnance Blast.

IAMNOTHERE
28-05-2008, 09:21
The only thing a Vulcan mega bolter can't hurt is AV13+.

Up to AV12 it's stupidly good.

15 shots, 2d6 penetration pick the highest, roll any pens on the ordanance table, AP3, really good against fliers, the list I think is endless.

RCgothic
28-05-2008, 09:34
IAMNOTHERE brings up a good point, Primary Weapons damage as though they are ordnance.

Still, the Turbolaser inflicts an auto-penetrating ordnance hit and auto-kills anything that isn't immune to instant death.
The Plasma Blastgun is S10 AP2 Ordnance that has a 10" blast.

Norsehawk
28-05-2008, 10:19
The warhound I have (Armorcast) has a Plasma Blast gun and a Vulcan Mega Bolter. VMB is for mowing infantry, and light vehicles, and the Plasma is for anything heavier.

And, while a pair of plasma blast guns would probably be wiser because of the blast template size, there is just something that feels good about picking up a pile of dice and rolling em all

officer kerky
28-05-2008, 10:24
how about i get the turbo laser destructor for wiping tanks of the table and mega volcan bolter to mow through infantary????

RCgothic
28-05-2008, 10:47
You should take what you like the sound of more:

Vulcan MB:
will kill around 9 marines not in cover, lethal against AV12 or less and fliers.
Lots of Dice Rolling.

TL Destructor:
Will insta-kill anything not immune, Ordnance Penetrating hit vs tanks.

Plasma Blastgun:
Will Insta-kill anything T5 or less under a 10" template. S10 Orndance has a good chance of penetrating most vehicles.

athamas
28-05-2008, 10:57
15 shots, 2d6 penetration pick the highest, roll any pens on the ordanance table, AP3, really good against fliers, the list I think is endless.

erm, where do you get the roll 2D6 from?

Koryphaus
28-05-2008, 11:10
So unless you roll a 6" scatter you're going to hit the vehicle with a S10 weapon. But I like the Mars Pattern, so if I ordered one I'd have to get the 2 Plasma Blastguns. The possible damage you could cause with 4 large templates of death every turn..

I plan on equipping my Warlord with 2 Turbolaser Destructors and 2 Laser Destroyers..

thinkerman
28-05-2008, 11:23
I have a warhound (Mars Variant).

I decided upon this pattern because of the design not the weapons load. Ideally i would have gone for turbo laser and plasma blast, purely for the fact that ones a destroyer weapons (good by land raiders) and infantry and others dont do too well under a 10" AP2 template.

Ultimately is down to your choice - a friend of mine wants to equip his with 2 vulcans just for the fact its 30 shots but in my oppinion i like the fact that i roll to see what happens with those destroyer weapons rather than rolling to penetrate.