PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point mixed O&G - magic horde - would this work at all?

Treadhead_1st
28-05-2008, 14:08
Right, I'm aiming for a magic-heavy horde force, and thought that Orcs would be a good laugh to do it with (the other contenders are Beastmen and Skeven, both of whom need the books re-doing) - even if their heads may indeed 'go bang', the magic seems so totally bizarre and funny that I felt I had to give it a go.

So, I thought up an army list using a mates army book, and I'm wondering if you think this concept will work - I don't expect the list to be brilliant, as it's my first attempt at an O&G one, so and C&C would be really appreciated.

Lords

Orc Great Shaman: Level 4, Staff of Baduum, Dispel Scroll & Power Stone.
305 (General)

Heroes

Night Goblin Shaman: Level 2, The Pipes of Doom & Magic Mushroom.

Night Goblin Shaman: Level 2, Nibbla's 'Itty Ring & Magic Mushroom.

Goblin Big Boss: Wallopa's One-Hit Wunda, Shield, Light Armour, Tricksy Trinket & Wolf.

Core

20 Night Goblins: Short Bows, Boss, Musician & 2 Fanatics.

20 Night Goblins: Spears, Shields, Boss, Musician & Nets.

20 Orc Boyz: Choppas & Shields, Full Command.

10 Orc Arrer Boyz.

5 Wolf Riders: Spears.

Special

Squig Herds - 4 Heards.

10 Boar Boyz: Boss.

Boar Chariot.

2 Spear Chukkas.

Rare

4 Trolls.

1974 (26 to go still)
134 Models
2 Artillery + Crew

The Master-Plan:

Gobbos with Bows take an extreme flank. Next, and a little behind, are the Squigs, and then next to them (but on a level with the Gobbos) is the other Gobbo unit, the one with the nets. These Gobbo units have the NG Shamans in them (Pipes o' Doom one in with the Bows). Sitting pretty behind this go the Chukkas, hopefully on some sort of hill (I play in a GW store, so there's usually a hill in the DZ)

The idea is that the Bows can all shoot at any flanking large-targets, and release the Fanatics. Pipes to prevent Fast Cav gatting round the line. I'm hoping the enemy will think "Oh, Gobbo flank, break easy" and then charging on in and getting the Squigs to go haywire (and a face full of Fanatic too).

In the middle sits the Trolls, joined by the Great Shaman, who are flanked by each Boy unit. The Arrer Boyz go slightly back from the line, and off to the Gobbo-wards flank.

The idea is that there's a hard centre - a block of Trolls flanked by boyz, and the Arrer Boyz are there just to be able to re-direct charges and tie-up things that I don't want to fight should the Gobbos actually die without damaging the flank (likely, they're Gobbos!) - and so I took Arrerz as they are as good in combat as a regular Boy, but can shoot should the gobbos hold, and thus contribute to the game. Shaman in the Trolls for protection, and so that he can still cast (He can still cast while the Trolls are stupid, right - just can't cast while under animosity? Hence thought Trolls better option).

On the other side, to create a deceptive "strong flank" go the Boar Boyz, Boar Chariot and the Wolf Riders (plus Big Boss).

The Boar unit supports my Boyz line, and tries to out-flank enemy. Wolfies re-deploy to be able to take on War-machines, and the Boss re-deploys to be able to take on Chariots/characters with his One-Hit Wunda.

And yes, I know no plan survives contact with the enemy - particularly when your own units have their own ideas

But does it have a hope of working, or am I barking up a totally bizarre tree?
Thanks for any advice!

Shamfrit
29-05-2008, 00:54
Orc Great Shaman: Level 4, Staff of Baduum, Dispel Scroll & Power Stone.
305 (General)

Hi there, your list caught my eye so I thought I'd try and help you out as best I can. I've been play testing Da Horde for a few weeks now, to really get some blood pumpin' and the first thing I notice here is you've concentrated on over casting with your Shaman...a Great Shaman at that. You may have noticed, that miscasting for Greenskins is not something you'd be partial to at the wrong, in fact, at any moment at all so I would severely not recommend the Power Stone. The Staff of Baduum is fine, but remember he's level 4, with the army dice as well he can get two, possibly three spells off per turn without having to over roll dice. Give him a Dispel Scroll, the Staff, and the 5+ ward save, he'll still be versatile, and won't die at the drop of a large pointy hat.

Night Goblin Shaman: Level 2, The Pipes of Doom & Magic Mushroom.

I know you might be thinking that the Goblin magic is cheaper, but, going for two weak and not that versatile Night Goblin Shamans is not a good idea in my book. Diversifying your army is very much a Greenskin thing, so perhaps switch a Night Goblin for an Orc, I usually take him with Nibbla's and Staff of Sorcery for extra magic defence.

With the tougher, safer orc carrying Nibbla's, a Night Goblin Shaman with the Staff of Sneaky Stealing backs up your defence and can still cast a spell a turn. I usually but Da Nightmasta back with a war machine on a Wolf, ready to spring away before being charged.

Goblin Big Boss: Wallopa's One-Hit Wunda, Shield, Light Armour, Tricksy Trinket & Wolf.

I usually go for Brimstone Bauble and Triksy Trinket on a Gigantic Spider myself, but this set up works fine. Just lacks the punch it needs to resolve a combat to a draw against low WS opponents, he does well against Skeletons and Ghouls.

20 Night Goblins: Short Bows, Boss, Musician & 2 Fanatics.

20 Night Goblins: Spears, Shields, Boss, Musician & Nets.

Unless your characters are going here, do not take Bosses, if they are, ignore me! Spears should go too, the Hand Weapon/Save in combination with the Nets makes a very sturdy unit, capable of beating your standard WS4 S3 infantry blocks with reasonable chances of success. Not to mention, nobody expects Night Goblins to tar pit other tar pit units.

Same goes for the bosses here, don't even take them to defend your Orc Shaman, since they'll most likely allocate hits regardless, and the points saved can go ALONG way.

10 Orc Arrer Boyz.

Heh, I like 'em, so keep 'em :D

5 Wolf Riders: Spears.

Musician!

10 Boar Boyz: Boss.

Wauyyyy too big for my liking. But it's up to you.

Hope this helps!

WAAAAGH!!

Treadhead_1st
29-05-2008, 05:16
Ok, thanks for the tips - they were helpful!

Yeah, I'm putting the NG Shamans in my NG units (hence the Boss - so a cheap character can take the splatting, not the Shaman). Really wanted 2 Gobbo shamans as I really like the Little Waagh spells.

Taken some of your advice to heart, and re-tooled the list a little. Please tell me what you think now (I also finally got my own Army Book, so the points costs are actually right this time :rollseyes:

Lords

Savage Orc Great Shaman: Level 4, Staff of Baduum, Dispel Scroll x2
310 (General)
Lost that Power Stone - you made a good point about "over-charging" the magic. Should I take that second scroll, or abandon it to free up points? Also, I went for Savage for the [cheap] Ward Save (as opposed to the expensive item version). Still goes in Trolls.

Heroes

Night Goblin Shaman: Level 2, The Pipes of Doom, Magic Mushroom.
Not sure how brilliant the Pipes will be, thinking about it. But given they're (sort of) a bound spell, and can be devastating agaisnt the right opponents... wuold it be more effective to take, say, the Horn of Urgok? Also, I'm not sure how the Staff of Sorcery works - is it +1 for THAT MODEL to dispell - but I didn't think that each model used it's own dispels? If it's army wide, then I think I'll take that.

I agree the Orc would be safer, but I really like Little Waagh, and having 4 attempts to get Foot of Gork, or Mork Wants Ya! is rather tempting

Goblin Big Boss: Wallopa's One-Hit Wunda, Shield, Light Armour, Collar of Zorga, Tricksy Trinket & Wolf.
Took the Collar, in addition to the other gear, in case I fail to kill a Chariot, or a Character's monster - means they'll be less likely to splat the Boss. Was this a good idea?

Core

23 Night Goblins: Short Bows. Boss, Musician & 2 Fanatics.
Contains the Pipes Shaman. Odd number because more is better!

23 Night Goblins: Hand Weapons, Shields & Nets. Boss & Musician.
Contain Ring Shaman. These now should work OK in tandem with my new Special unit (see below). Lost the Spears for cheapness, as you suggested.

20 Orc Boyz: Choppas & Shields. Musician & Standard Bearer.
Lost the Bosses to free up points, as you suggested

20 Orc Boyz: Choppas & Shields. Musician & Standard Bearer.
see above

5 Wolf Riders: Spears. Musician.
Added the Musician for the bonus to Rally, as you suggested.

Special

4 Squig Herds.
A marching bomb. And a *ahem* Gobbo unit that can actually hur things

Savage Orc Boar Boyz (Big 'Uns): Spears.
More hitty than regular Boar Boyz...more comments at end of list

Boar Chariot.
To work with the Savage Boar Boyz, to either screen, or to distract enemy shooting. And adds some nice impact hits to the army.

10 Black Orcs: Shields. Black Orc Boss.
These replace the Arrer Boyz in holding the flank should the Goblins run. An, combined with a Netted unit, should be deadly. And the models are nice. Were they a good addition?

Rare

3 Trolls.
Had to loose one due to points constraints. Should still pack a punch though.

Goblin Doom Diver Catapult.
To make up for the loss of the Bolt Throwers, I took the Doom Diver to try to take on Monsters and nasty units.

1980 (20 to go still)

134 models, plus 1 Chariot and 1 War-machine.

If I loose the Dispel Scroll, and 6 Gobbos, I would have 63 points to spend (or 45 by NOT loosing the Gobbos). What should I do with this? Would have even more points if I swap Pipes for Staff of Sorcery (68/50 respectively).

Can't decide between more Gobbos, or another Troll, or more Savage Boar Boyz, or a Standard Bearer with Banner of Butchery in said Boar Boyz (a LOT of points in one unit, but it's 30 Str 5 attacks!) - certainly would be magic/war-machine bait, and costly to loose, but is it worth is just for the hitting potential?

Cheers for the comments so far - what do you think about this (slightly) re-formed list (is it better than the above, or have I gone in the wrong direction in trying to 'improve' it), and any ideas what to do with the last points?

Shamfrit
29-05-2008, 19:05
Switch out the Black Orcs to make one of the Orc Boyz Units 25 strong and make them Big Unz, then attach Mork's Spirit Totem to them, and add in the Staff of Sorcery and you're pretty much good to go :D

I say switch the Blorcs because they really only work well enough at 20 or more, but that's all speculative really.

Test it as is before you do anything though, always the way to go! Good luck!