PDA

View Full Version : 2250 HE Anti-Magic

ga1661
28-05-2008, 18:52
Prince on Barded Steed, Dragon Armor, Lance, Shield, Vambraces of Defense, and Radiant Gem of Hoeth... joins:
5x Dragon Princes, Full Command, Amulet of Light, Banner of Arcane Protection

Noble on Barded Steed, Dragon Armor, Lance, Shield, BSB Upgrade, Banner of the World Dragon... joins:
5x Dragon Princes, Full Command, Gem of Courage, Banner of Ellyrion

Noble on Barded Steed, Heavy Armor, Lance, Enchanted Shield, Loremaster's Cloak... joins:
5x Dragon Princes, Full Command, Skeinsliver, War Banner

Level 1 Mage on Steed, 2x Dispel Scroll... joins:
6x Ellyrian Reavers with Musician, Spear & Bow

3x Great Eagles

10x Archers
10x Archers

Total: 2250
PD = 4 / DD = 4

Three tough heavy-cav units led by fairly good combat character (as Elves go, anyway), each unit more-or-less immune to magic, with a scroll caddy for absolute emergencies... and 3 fast cav screeners to run in front of them, with some Eagles to run interference and set up re-directs. Archers are more or less just tossing just filling Core slots, but they will help against enemy fast cav as well.

I added the Radiant Gem on the Prince mostly because you really need the 4th DD against TK or VC to stop low-level Incantations (especially for movement) and IoN respectively, although I think it would be fine to drop it and downgrade the Dragon Armor to Heavy to get a 4th Eagle. However, it also gives you two shots at Drain Magic, where you otherwise normally only get one chance. Obviously the Dragon Armor is included to provide immunity from flaming attacks, but it's not essential.

Constructive criticism is highly encouraged... I haven't tried a list like this before, and would be interested if anyone else has had any experience with something similar.

minionboy
28-05-2008, 19:04
Well, for anti-magic, having only 4 dispel dice and 2 dispel scrolls is REALLY weak. I'd also suggest getting another mage with the Staff of Sorcery, giving you +2 for all your dispel attempts. The only additional benefit you're getting from all those dragon princes is the immunity to fire based attacks, that isn't going to help you much against most people.

Drain magic also has no effect on Incantations or other bound spells, so don't expect that to give you any real advantage against TK (which it sounds like you're using this against).

Marwynn
28-05-2008, 19:06
It's quite a cool list! Love it actually.

There's just one thing: Nothing to handle the big toughies. You have three solid hammers, three excellent flankers, and some archers to shoot things with. But against high T models you'll be having problems if you don't kill them outright on the charge.

But that's a hella good way of doing anti-magic.

If you really want a fourth eagle, I don't think it's necessary, you could drop the 6th reaver from each unit. Dragon Armour up that 2nd noble and give the Mage the Silver Wand (just in case you feel like casting a second spell from High Magic). Either that or add musicians to the Archers.

Well, for anti-magic, having only 4 dispel dice and 2 dispel scrolls is REALLY weak. I'd also suggest getting another mage with the Staff of Sorcery, giving you +2 for all your dispel attempts. The only additional benefit you're getting from all those dragon princes is the immunity to fire based attacks, that isn't going to help you much against most people.

Drain magic also has no effect on Incantations or other bound spells, so don't expect that to give you any real advantage against TK (which it sounds like you're using this against).

Banner of the World Dragon on the BSB makes him and the unit he's with immune to all spell effects. The Loremaster's cloak on the second noble gives a 2+ ward save against wounds caused by spells. And of course the Prince's unit has the Banner of Arcane Protection giving MR2.

It's not "anti-magic" as in he'll shut down the phase.

minionboy
28-05-2008, 19:26
Banner of the World Dragon on the BSB makes him and the unit he's with immune to all spell effects. The Loremaster's cloak on the second noble gives a 2+ ward save against wounds caused by spells. And of course the Prince's unit has the Banner of Arcane Protection giving MR2.

It's not "anti-magic" as in he'll shut down the phase.

The problem here being it has little defense against beneficial spells. IoN, Danse Macabre, TK Invocations, Steed of Shadows, the list goes on. If someone can get Steed of Shadows or Danse Macabre on him, he's in a world of hurt.

His army isn't anti-magic, it's magic resistant, which is very unreliable due to the large amount of beneficial spells most lores of magic have. That's why I suggest the Staff of Sorcery and the second mage.

ga1661
29-05-2008, 03:16
It's intended as an all-comer's list... not specific to TK or VC; my comment about taking the Gem is a concession to the fact that I know I couldn't do well against those particular armies with just 3 DD and 2 Scrolls. If it was safe to do so, I wouldn't take Vambraces on my Prince and instead spend the points on Annulian Crystal to get a 5th DD and take away an opponent PD, but leaving my Prince with just a 2+ armor save and no ward save is unappealing.

I'm not sure why you say that everyone has tons of beneficial spells that wouldn't target my units (and thus would get around my current magic defenses). If VC want to be magic-dedicated, and take 16+ PD, yes they'll obviously force some spells through. But the point of setting up like this is to minimize the number of spells that can really hurt the three main combat units.

IoN and VDM are very good spells for VC, but they are also low-cast enough that I may be able to dispel them with my few dice... and if they decide they really want to force those spells through by spending more PD, if the situation is important enough, that's why I have Scrolls. More often than not a fast list like this is going to be either solidly in control by the end of my third turn, or it's about to be slaughtered and the spell-casting won't matter. Again, Invocations are low-cost... and very few people take Lore of Shadows because it honestly isn't very good. If they want to take it just to get Steed, then make sure they put enough dice into it to make sure it goes off, AND it's actually going to be a threat? I still have the option of a Scroll... not as if I won't know it's coming.

No Lore has more than 1 or 2 "beneficial" spells that would warrant serious concern, and at least 1 of each of those is casting-value 6 or less. Additionally only four of those Lores have it as the "default spell".

At the point where your opponent is likely to get more than one of those that is useful to his particular army, it's likely he's taking three or more casters, or at least two with an item to select specific spells. My combat characters are plenty capable as is with standing up to normal rank-and-file, so if they don't need to worry about more than 1 or 2 uber-combat characters, they should be just fine.

Just one further comment... starting with 5 or fewer DD, Staff of Sorcery is inferior to Annulian Crystal (if you want to see the math behind this, I'll be happy to post it, but it's really long to write out). So if I was to take a second mage (probably taking the Radiant Gem off my Prince to get points for it), I'd be starting with 4 DD, so he'd be taking Crystal rather than Staff.

Andrew Luke
29-05-2008, 03:22
Wait a sec, is this a Khorne list or High Elves?? :-D

Seriously tho with all those dragon princes and eagles and not ONE unit of ranked infantry, you are gonna have boring, RPS games and get low comp scores for an army that isn't even that hitty. Its like a Brettonian list without any of the inherent benefits. I think it could win its fair share for sure, but wouldn't be fun to play with or tactically rewarding...