PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard SWAT Army

philipdgilbert
28-05-2008, 18:58
Okay, after becoming inspired and picking up some Kasrkins to experiment with, I have decided to do a SWAT themed IG army.

I already have my colour scheme, after trying Black Armour over Blue BDU's i inverted it to my liking.

I have a basic army plan drawn up, im thinking two four squad platoons, with a unit of snipers for each platoon for some help, a unit of Kasrkins to help take objectives, and Sentinels, Rough Riders and a Hellhound for Fast attack, but what can i take for heavy support other than heavy weapon teams? The army is themed around close quarters combat in a hive, and a Leman Russ just doesn't quite seem right. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

*maccas*
28-05-2008, 19:05
leman russ demolisher is ideally suited for "close quarters combat". Its elite status fits with your kasrkin background and its strength 10 ap 2 weapon will counter your seeming lack of anti-meq (you havent mentioned the armenants of your platoons or sentinels but the hellhound, kasrkin and lasguns are not designed with meqs in mind).

Is that what you were looking for?

Lord Damocles
28-05-2008, 19:17
Why not go for something a bit different like special weapon squads armed with demo charges and melta guns?

Everyone ends up taking Demolishers:o

Glavemaster
28-05-2008, 19:28
If you want a SWAT'ish 40k army, why not theme it around the Arbites? They're as close as you can get. :)

DeadjesterX
28-05-2008, 22:11
For starters, I'd personally ditch the Rough Riders. I find them to be useless really.

Take some Chimeras for mobility.

And add some Ratlings. They are amazing. A full unit of snipers with super cover saves.

philipdgilbert
28-05-2008, 22:57
See, im considering chimeras, but not many of them, i don't want to go fully mechanized, because i don't think its what SWAT teams are. they are rapid response yes, but its quite hard to get a chimera into the underhive without finding it up on bricks because some ganger has nicked the tracks.

I'm taking 20 ratlings in total, although im using space marine scouts. Simply so i can vaporise carnifexs and avatars.

Arbites are too expensive and there is only 7 models, so if i do two platoons the 80 men would only have 7 poses.

The demolishers a nice idea, i may even dust off and repaint the baneblade for when the nids hit the fan, especially now that you can total builidings in the new rules. I think a dozer blade as well. yes this might work...

I also love the idea of having specialized assault weapon squads, although im not sure where they would fit into the codex, i don't see any options for suicide squads, or special weapon focussed units...

Oh and as for weapon outfits:
Scatter lasers on the sentinels
Everything is going to have at least one flamer, to negate cover saves.

warchild9
29-05-2008, 03:56
honestly I would go like this for 1850

(using witch hunter codex)
Inq Lord -175
storm bolter purity seals auspex carapace armour
3 acolytes
bolter carapace armour
3 heavy bolter Servitors
2 medics

Vindicare assassain- 110

6 ten man storm troopers with 2 specials- 120 each
(GL, melta plasma)

2 dominions (count as heavy assault unit)-179 each
6 strong with 4 stormbolters frag
immolator with heavy bolter (count as assault transport)

2 retributors (count has suppression unit)-148 points each
8 strong 4 heavy bolters

1847 with 108 models

Codsticker
29-05-2008, 05:29
For starters, I'd personally ditch the Rough Riders. I find them to be useless really.

I think you'll find that most disagree- Rough Riders with hunting lances are great at getting rid of things like terminators and meganobs

Pyriel
29-05-2008, 08:29
starting IG?why are you doing this to yourself? please, man, you have all your life ahead of you... don't do it!:)

Colonel Fitzgerald
29-05-2008, 11:20
starting IG?why are you doing this to yourself? please, man, you have all your life ahead of you... don't do it!:)

Hahahahaha! Yes - I realised I'd gone too far in thinking of adding a second Baneblade when I remembered the new Cavalry wing my army has that I still haven't painted:angel: The Baneblade went to my Chaos Undivided army instead (like a beach master with all this armour, I tell you!)

Strix
29-05-2008, 11:25
For heavy support, I'd advocate mortar platoons (you can say their firing teargas rounds or something), leman russ demolishers and the forge world conquerer. Make sure whatever tank you use has extra armour and smoke launchers as well.

As far as the SWAT theme goes, what about grenadiers as a doctrine? 4+ armour has got to be essential with the rediculous amount of AP5 weaponry about, and theres still a big difference between a normal guardsman in carapace armour (which a bog standard cadian will quite well represent) and a stormtrooper. Failing that, how about sharpshooters?

Lord Damocles
29-05-2008, 13:06
I also love the idea of having specialized assault weapon squads, although im not sure where they would fit into the codex, i don't see any options for suicide squads, or special weapon focussed units...

'Codex: Imperial Guard', bottom of pg.39 ;)

Dengar
29-05-2008, 17:42
Heres an idea for rough riders one of my work mates brothers is in the armed response and has just trained to be in a new unit that uses ninja motorbikes and have their mp5s and glocks on their backs just an idea i think they would look pretty cool.

philipdgilbert
29-05-2008, 18:33
Im liking the grenadiers doctrine, but i don't want them to be too different from the rank and file. The idea is that they are all SWAT members, rather than just regular troops supporting SWAT troops.

And the Eagle Eye Award goes to Lord Damocles, I actually completely missed that.

And as for rough riders, well two reasons for them: the first, is that they move fast and gut most units on the charge, not only that but they do fit in with the army theme, i could even be tempted to do them as mounties...ooh! an army of imperial guard mounties! There ain't nothing scarier than an angry mountie...

The one negative for them, and it is a negative in that I F@$&ing hate painting horses. I can honestly say as person who plays with Bretonnians, that i hate painting horses.

I'm liking the mortars, but its more anti horde stuff, i still need something to have a punch against MEQ armies, or even worse...death guard.