PDA

View Full Version : Using the same list all the time

Malorian
28-05-2008, 20:08
Just wanted to do a poll and see what people's thoughts are on this.

I think that using the same list all the time is a good thing because it forces you to take an all-comers list and puts a story to your army (rather than this was the list I used last week).

So, what do you think?

snyggejygge
28-05-2008, 20:14
I usually use the same list, but not all the time, sometimes you want to try out new things & my main army is Chaos, so I used to have a lot of options to test & now I canīt use my normal list, so some changes have to be made, both for fun, good & because Iīm forced to, but all my lists have always been designed as allround all-comers lists.

Kerill
28-05-2008, 20:15
Apparently the poll is closed. To answer the question I always work towards a balanced list but will fiddle with the extras a bit from battle to battle. I would say 85-95% of my list stays the same once I have got the feel of it.

On a side note, if I'm winning a lot I will try to take the same army and list next time (bar requests) so my opponent can tailor against me. I think this is actually a great way for both players to learn- for me to face new challenges and my opponent to think about what could be done better.

nurgle_boy
28-05-2008, 20:19
Your poll appears to be closed :p

I will agree with you entirely.

Using the same list all the time is always preferable to tailoring lists, not just for balance, but also for character.

There are one or two things however, that I always allow to be changed-
Dispel scrolls.
Turning up with them against dwarves is a no-go, so it seems fair to allow a swap for something that can actually be used.
The other thing is Etherial units in smaller games. I would always allow my opponent to add a common item in if they turned up, for example, with a pair of fighters, one with mundane gear, and the other a banner. its just the right thing to do...

anyway, thats my tuppence on it...

EDIT; oh, and as mr kerril says, tinkering between games is fine if you are still working the list out... things like 'hmm... 4X6 of 3X7 and save some points' sort of thing, as well as better magic item combos...

W0lf
28-05-2008, 20:20
Always use the same list.

Hate list tailoring and it means you need a very strong list that can react to a variety of threats.

theunwantedbeing
28-05-2008, 20:32
My list has hardly changed.
I will of course drop the scrolls when facing dwarves or if my opponent feels the need to tell me beforehand that he isnt taking any magic (and I trust him of course!).

I dont believe in full on list tooling though, it removes the skill in the game if you take a list that any monkey can use to beat your opponent's list.
I dont make a powergamer list though..there's a difference between powergamer lists and all comer lists in my mind.(although the 2 lists may well perform to the same standard most of the time)

The Laughing Man!
28-05-2008, 20:39
I always use the same list but if I do change it it will be because I'm bored of it not based on what my opponent is using.

Dominatrix
28-05-2008, 20:46
Over the years I believe I have settled to a list that I like, so I usually stick with it. And I said usually because playing the same list all the time equals a death by boredom sentence. So after a while I make changes sometimes minor, sometimes more sweeping. I guess what I am trying to say is that from the poll options my choice would be #3. ;)

BloodiedSword
28-05-2008, 20:48
I change list occasionally, but use the same list against all opponents.

So for example, I'd play one fixed list for a few weeks, and then change it slightly and use the new list against all opponents, etc.

Mostly because I'm lazy and cannot be bothered to work out what things I'd remove/add against specific opponents, and partly because it causes less ill feeling all round. I don't particularly care if my opponent tailors or not as long as he brings an army to the table.

Horus38
28-05-2008, 20:58
There are several staple units that make up the core of my army regardless of the opponent. The fun part of any game is tweaking your list a little each time to see how it performs. Playing the same build over and over would be boring IMHO.

Malorian
28-05-2008, 21:02
Sorry about the poll, must have messed something up...

Any kind mods out there? ; )

Zoolander
28-05-2008, 21:05
I like to spice it up a bit, which is one reason I liked Chaos so much - you could create a brand new list every time. I do play some standard lists a few times. If I win too much with one list (or lose too much!) I might change it around; try something different. Also, my opponents don't get tired of playing me, with 7 or 8 armies and a different list a lot of the time, it's always fresh. They never know what to expect.

The Clairvoyant
28-05-2008, 21:08
My list changes with every battle.
Every list is tailored to fight my opponent. We just discuss which armies we're using and then write a list. I only have two regular opponents so using an all-comers list that includes a load of terror-causing things is pretty useless against a Cult of Slaanesh player!

OldMagik
28-05-2008, 21:11
I use different lists a lot its fun to change ur army thus changing the tactics u have to use to win a game. But I normally make my army when i'm at home and then go to GW and find a random person to play so my army is never made to fight a certain list. Though if i'm playing an army /w dispel scrolls & magicians against dwarves of khorne i'll try and switch my force a little taking out the magicians and dispel scrolls and trade them for more forces to battle with.

rodmillard
28-05-2008, 21:13
I try to vary my lists, but mainly because I play with a small group of friends most of the time, and the same match ups all the time would get very boring. That said, the changes are generally minor - should I take white lions or phoenix guard this week, that kind of thing. I never tailor my lists, but as I have 4K points each of dwarves and HE, I try to rotate units so that nothing gathers too much dust. My chaos and empire armies are more static, as a 2500 point battle uses almost every model I own (especially now I can't add plagebearers, nurglings, or chaos knights to my beasts army)

logan054
28-05-2008, 21:19
changing your list dosnt = list tailoring, i tend to change my list about before i even know who i am playing, personally i find it more interesting to change the style of list every game, it helps keep the game fresh and besides, whats the poiny in having a large army if you only use the same small portion every game?

Greymarch
28-05-2008, 21:29
I change my list all the time, but it's not to change it to make it specific vs the player I'm facing. I just want to try out new things all the time. Besides, are all the clashes in your area going to be with the exact same troops? We tend to play narratively, so my for force for Sieging the Empire castle is quite different than the one used for transporting slaves back to Skavenblight.

I would think that playing varied scenarios would force you to play different lists, and if you play a lot of Pitched Battle you could stay with the same list.

Disciple of Nagash
28-05-2008, 21:33
I like to keep the same list for period of time, mainly to fit in with my fluff, after a while I will create a new list but again it will for fluff, not to tailor to an opponent etc. As mentioned this is just for pitched battles, when it comes to campaigns different scenarios require different lists but I will try to stay in character. (For example I wouldn't choose a unit that didn't fit in with my fluff)

Malorian
28-05-2008, 21:35
One reason it doesn't get boring for me is that I have several armies. So instead of changing lists, I just change armies for a while.

solvay
28-05-2008, 21:35
i keep the same army list whoever i play and only change it if i am trying a new thing
although i know some people that go to my local store have several lists and choose one that will work best against specific opponents which in my eyes in unfair

ZeroTwentythree
28-05-2008, 21:41
I'm with logan & Greymarch054, changing your list is not necessarily the same as "list tailoring." I tweak my lists now and then, but frequently without knowing who my opponent(s) will be. Not only would it get a bit dull to never change your list, but you'd miss out on using the full variety that your army has to offer, and wouldn't get to try things out to see how you like them.

"List tailoring" against someone you know will have 2 STanks and a dragon, on the other hand, is perfectly acceptable. :angel:

i keep the same army list whoever i play and only change it if i am trying a new thing
although i know some people that go to my local store have several lists and choose one that will work best against specific opponents which in my eyes in unfair

I don't see why it would be "unfair." Someone care to explain?

Lupinbell
28-05-2008, 21:46
I usually use the same list for two reasons:
1. If a list is winning, why change it?
2. I don't have the models (or bases) to play something else.

I'll change when I get new models, want to try some new tactics, or if I'm playing a army my list isn't good at taking, I'll rewrite it to make it more effective.

Lord_Squinty
28-05-2008, 21:46
Never tailor my lists - same list against orks and nids as aginst marines and necrons.

Tailoring lists before games just seems dull - "ooh look - orks, think I'll swap all my guns to scatter lasers", "hmmm, orks - I'll drop my 3 Las-preds and take 3 whirlwinds"
(I've seen both done by others in the past)

I will tinker with lists a couple of times a year if I think up new combos, but usually I'll just switch to a different army if I'm getting bored.

Loopstah
28-05-2008, 21:59
I like to keep the same list all the time, however to spice things up a bit I make 2 different lists featuring different units and then toss a coin to pick which I use.

This prevents people always knowing in advance what I've got, it also allows me to use models and units I might not have in the first list as it's a shame not to use all the different options. It also allows all the spare units I have lying around for larger games to get used a bit more in smaller games.

That's how I used to do it and that's how I'll be doing it now.

kyussinchains
28-05-2008, 22:00
I get too bored using the same list over and over again, I like to change it around and use all the different troops available to my army from time to time. I would never tool an army specifically against an opponent (unless we had previously agreed to do so) but it's fine to try and think of a force which would give a good performance against a specific enemy.

Lordsaradain
28-05-2008, 22:28
Using the same list multiple times can be great fun, BUT always using the exact same list is dull. It will work against you in the long run as your opponents will know your list all the ay through, and it will be dull for your opponents to face the same list over and over and over.

Spoken from a player who collects 10 different fantasy armies each spanning between 1000 and 4000 points. Lots of variety, beleive me. :)

TheLionReturns
28-05-2008, 22:35
I change my list frequently, as much as my collection allows. I find using the same list repeatedly pretty dull and feel I am missing out on a lot. Also I prefer to play against different lists, especially those seldom seen so I feel my approach benefits my opponents too. I also want to try as many combos as possible and really learn how to play the entire scope of my army. I think it takes you a lot longer to become skilled with a force in this way but in the longer term you really do get a good broad understanding.

That said I never tailor a list to specifically tackle my opponent's. Doing so doesn't interest me in the slightest as I like to focus on generalship in-game rather than list design.

Tuch
28-05-2008, 22:37
I don't think I have a list that I have used for more than 2 games. I like to try everything, even if the unit is crap I want to try it out. I also try to see what kind of synergy I can get out of a list from every possible angle. Sometimes I find success other times not. Of course if I were to get into a tournament (maybe next February) I would work on a list for maximum effect without going the route of Cheeze.

Though I never tailor my list to my opponent I rarely fight those who have much in the way of ranged attacks so I don't often plan for shooting from units other than war machines.

sulla
29-05-2008, 00:57
I hate using the same list all the time. Firstly, it bores the crap out of me. I'm a collector and painter first and foremost. Warhammer just gives me an excuse to buy and paint more. If I only use the same list all the time, I don't need to buy more stuff.

Secondly, IMO you have a whole armylist for a reason. If I only used a single list, most of my army choices would never see the light of day. Why take witch elves because I might be facing armour or gunlines? Better take at least 2 scroll caddies since I might need the magic defense... No harpies in case I face undead or daemons... Repeater crossbows? Why bother. Most enemies have either t4 or armour making them fairly worthless.

You see where it leads? It's ok for some armies... a handgun is useful vs just about every army in the game and downright awesome vs many of them, but other armies aren't so lucky. Some armies have situationally very good/very poor troops. If you take an all comers list, all that happens is that you never take them because of the 'what if' factor.

If someone else wants to use the same list all the time then more power to them. But it just doesn't work for all armies.

Dexter099
29-05-2008, 03:59
Why is the poll closed?

I mix up my army a lot, depending on my opponent's army and how I want to play it.

Ethlorien
29-05-2008, 04:15
I can't think of a time when I played the same list more then twice in a row. I love making army lists - not to see what's most effective (I almost never build I list with winning in mind), but for fluff reasons and for fun. Some things are almost always in there, depending on points of course, but I tend to change to fit the story, campaign, scenario, or my fluff ideas for that afternoon. That's all.

I certainly don't consider someone who sticks with the same list a power gamer or anything, to each his own, right? Stick with what works, if that's t your liking. Me, I just get too many ideas, want to try new combos, to stick with the same list is all.

Zethal
29-05-2008, 05:01
Once I have established a great all-comers list then Yes I stick with the list for all league our tournament games, every once in a while I bring something new for fun, but not a tailored list just a different style of all-comers.

I'll fiddle with the new DE a bit when they come out, but probably find a list I'm happy with in 10 games or so and stick with it.

TheMav80
29-05-2008, 05:33
I change my list all the time. I don't have The One List I use whenever I am going to play a game.

This does not equal list tailoring. I just find it boring to play with the same list over and over. Especially if I am using the same list angainst the same lists over and over.

NakedBarbarian
29-05-2008, 06:22
There should have been a fourth poll option for continuosly changing your army list - i try different configurations of troop types and magical weapons/items all the time. So i don't really know whether or not its boring or not.

What i do find boring is opponents who use the same list ALL the time NEVER changing it... sometimes i like to try different games like Lustria or Skirmish or Siege and they refuse to play because it doesn't favour the play style.
EXAMPLE i tried to get a Lustria campaign going in my gaming circle (theres about 8 of us) but the 3 players (Dwarf gunlines, Empire gunline and SAD) refused to play because it didn't favor their playing style. The rest of us went ahead with it anyways but people doing stuff like that can really put a damper on a gaming circle.

snurl
29-05-2008, 09:26
I change my list all the time. I don't have The One List I use whenever I am going to play a game.

This does not equal list tailoring. I just find it boring to play with the same list over and over. Especially if I am using the same list angainst the same lists over and over.

Yes! What he said! Quoted for truth.
I always like to bring a different list, sometimes a different army, to our games. Keeps 'em guessing.

The boyz
29-05-2008, 09:27
My army list hardly changes. I might make small changes here or there. I might swap the occasional magic item around or drop the occasional magic item, depending on which army I am facing. Apart from that, I dont make to many changes to my army.

Alathir
29-05-2008, 09:53
I change my list constantly, I usually work within a theme but taking the same list is a bit dull in my eyes. I can see if you had many armies then it wouldn't get boring, but with so many different combinations and variety within army lists I think it's a shame to use only one facet of your selected force.

Fraggzy
29-05-2008, 10:50
using about the same list is the best, not changing it because of you playing another opponent, but changing it a little to represent fluff, or a fun ad-on to your army:D

And by the way, playing the same list over and over again gets boring:)