PDA

View Full Version : Killing blow and challenges

Arnizipal
21-10-2005, 16:02
This came up during a game last week. My Blood Dragon vampire thrall challenged a Senechal. He scored a (measly) two hits: one was a killing blow, and the other a normal wound. The Senechal failed his armour save for the normal wound and didn't have a ward save.
Now is my question: how much combat resolution do I get out of this?

1)Killing blow goes first and inflicts the two wounds needed to kill the Senechal.
Then the normal attack scores one overkill.
Total combat resolution: 3

2)The normal attack goes first and knocks off a wound.
Then the killing blow comes in and takes the Senechal's last wound.
Total combat resolution: 2

Izram
21-10-2005, 16:06
I don't have the rulebook handy now, but I am pretty sure that attacks are supposed to go sequentially, but are rolled together (in 'handfulls of dice') for ease and game speed. I would roll it off. 4+ you get it.

chivalrous
21-10-2005, 16:17
It's the first one, you caused 2 wounds through killing blow, then +1 overkill another through a normal attack, your combat resolution is therefore 3.

Sinew
21-10-2005, 16:26
Chivalrous is correct, the killing blow inflicts the number of wounds the character had when the attacks were rolled, and each subsequent wound (even if it was another killing blow) just add +1 overkill to a max of 5. This is clearly explained in the chronicles section of the GW website.

Tarax
27-10-2005, 13:17
Although there is no such rule where it says that Killing Blow wounds have to be resolved first.

I would say that the player who causes the wounds may declare which wound can be saved first. Of course he will take the KB first, giving him the most Combat Resolution, while the normal wounds just add up to this.

NakedFisherman
28-10-2005, 01:58
Although there is no such rule where it says that Killing Blow wounds have to be resolved first.

There is no such rule that says there's an order. Killing blow knocks off two wounds and one addition wound is done. CR of 3.

Tarax
30-10-2005, 12:55
There is no such rule that says there's an order.

I think that's what I said. As there is no rule for the order, there's also no rule for the order of KB.

WLBjork
30-10-2005, 20:59
Ideally, you should resolve each hit seperately - then you know which one inflicts the KB and hence what the combat resolution is.

Otherwise, agree with your opponent before the game where KBs are going to apply.

Tarax
02-11-2005, 12:18
Ideally, you should resolve each hit seperately - then you know which one inflicts the KB and hence what the combat resolution is.

Otherwise, agree with your opponent before the game where KBs are going to apply.

Ideally each attack should be nominated, giving the defender a better chance of fighting back. :rolleyes:

Agreeing beforehand is a bit tedious. Rather decide on occasion.

empireerik32
03-11-2005, 23:18
i wish i understood warhammer

Tarax
04-11-2005, 12:12
i wish i understood warhammer

That's what I'm here for. :D ;)