PDA

View Full Version : PF and Thunder Hammer with Indepndent Characters Questions

Templar47
28-05-2008, 21:45
I know this question was probably asked before, but with the new pf rule giving someone only 1 attack, would it effect an independent characters stat line if he used one, and does anyone know how or if thunder hammers will change in the 5th edition.

Ravenheart
28-05-2008, 21:49
I know this question was probably asked before, but with the new pf rule giving someone only 1 attack, would it effect an independent characters stat line if he used one, and does anyone know how or if thunder hammers will change in the 5th edition.

I don't know if I understood your question; I sense a misconception here.

The TH / PF don't reduce attacks, they just don't gain an extra attack if the second CC-weapon isn't also TH / PF. Pretty much like Lightning claws work under current rules.

There weren't hany other changes mentoned to TH / PF.

Grimtuff
28-05-2008, 21:50

Utterly utterly wrong.

PF/TH/LC all only give +1 attack for 2 CCW when you have another of the same type. EXACTLY like the current single Lightning Claw.

A SM Commander will still have his base 3 attacks when equipped with a PF, he just wont get an extra one if he has a BP or Power Weapon for example.

EDIT: Ninja'ed ;)

Badruk
28-05-2008, 22:30
Character remain with the same number they have.

The stats he have is the "Naked" Character with no equipement.

Everything you add can effect the characters stats.

Only character that will have +1 Attacks atm with Power Fist will be Marneus, since he wear 2 Gaunlets of Ultramar

Mad Larkin UK
29-05-2008, 00:32
What about just giving a marine commander two power fists :p Expensive and pointless, but still funny.

Also A Salamanders vetern Sergeant with two thunderhammers would look immense

jjennings3
29-05-2008, 00:39
What about just giving a marine commander two power fists :p Expensive and pointless, but still funny.

yes! i did a salamanders with 2 TH and it looked the cats whiskars!

jonny

Mad Larkin UK
29-05-2008, 00:43
How many points for that 1 wound 3+ save guy though :-(

he needs plot armour

Koryphaus
29-05-2008, 05:42
Um, assuming a 15pt model, 15 more for veteran status, then possibly 60 for the 2 thunderhammers.. So yeah, a 90pt sergeant.. I couldn't do that except in really large games (whether apoc or not). But an Imperial Fist Terminator Captain with 2 Thunder Hammers.. Now that would look awesome...

If he was in fluff he'd always survive, only need plot armour on the tt

shabbadoo
29-05-2008, 07:26
Most models probably won't have the option to get two power fists or thunderhammers. This configuration will probably remain something unique to HQs or even to just named characters, and the only one that's is known to fit the bill so far is Marneaus Calgar with his Gauntlets of Ultramar.

Templar47
29-05-2008, 10:00
K, so if my commander with a thunder hammer,storm shield, and terminator honors charges, he gets 5 attacks on the charge, but only 4 if stationary correct? I know im still a bit of a noob :wtf:

Koryphaus
29-05-2008, 10:24
True. In this manner you aren't missing out on the bonus attack, as a storm sheild never gave a +1A anyway

Bunnahabhain
29-05-2008, 12:26

The amazing power of codex creep...

Thunder hammers used to be only available for terminators, as the impact would knock the wielder over, and now power armoured marines can have two.

If everyone else had kept pace, we'd have rending lasguns by now....

EDIT. Hmmm rending lasguns. Maybe there is a way to make Guard work in 5th ed.

FerociousBeast
29-05-2008, 15:59
"Thunder hammers used to be only available for terminators, as the impact would knock the wielder over, and now power armoured marines can have two."

And in the new SM codex, only the captain can have one...

Big TM
29-05-2008, 19:50
yep, I wish Thunderhammers didnt make you strike at I1 though... It makes sense fluff wise. But yeah, I think the only guy thatll benefit from the +1 Attack is the big guy= Marneus Calgar.

No oe elsell be able to have 2. and paying points 4 2 powerfists/T-Hammers is just silly

FarseerInthalas
30-05-2008, 06:07
It would be kind of a rip off unless you had 25/30 points extra to spend (but so, so cool)

Big TM
30-05-2008, 06:10
very very cool, buy I dont think well be able too:cries::cries::cries:

The Phazer
30-05-2008, 12:29
I have to be honest, if you can't gain extra attacks from utilising a Thunder Hammer with another CCW, being able to do so with *another hammer* seems very counterintuitive to me. But given the lack of availability it's not really an issue I guess.

Captains with hammers and storm shields certainly appear more attractive though.

Phazer

Drakion137
30-05-2008, 20:37
One possiblity that may reduce the point cost of duel weilding powerfist or thunder hammer is if in the new SM codex they have the same points structure as lightnight claws. By that I mean a single lighting claw costs 25 pts atm (for multiwound char) and 30 pts for a pair of claws, so perhapps the costs will look something like this: 25pts for a single PF, 30 for a pair, 30pts for a TH, 35 for a pair.

gaiaterra
30-05-2008, 21:15
But if current new codexs are anything to go by you will only be able to buy one weapon of each type except the lightning claws which can be bought in pairs. I just hope that marine veteran sergeants will be able to get more than just power weapons and power fists, if not my Salamanders are screwed. Also as we have brought up attacks, I had a quick look at the reference pages in the back of the new 5th ed rule book that have the stats from the new marine codex, Librarians and Chaplins are down 2 attacks on their profiles, need to get another look to make sure I did not mix them up with wounds but it looks like marine close combat characters are getting a bit of a nerfing.

rebmonk
31-05-2008, 02:05
One possiblity that may reduce the point cost of duel weilding powerfist or thunder hammer is if in the new SM codex they have the same points structure as lightnight claws. By that I mean a single lighting claw costs 25 pts atm (for multiwound char) and 30 pts for a pair of claws, so perhapps the costs will look something like this: 25pts for a single PF, 30 for a pair, 30pts for a TH, 35 for a pair.

i was going to say this but beat me to it. I don't know how likely the TH combo will be, the the PF pair i can easily see happening.