PDA

View Full Version : The Sanguinala

Ravenheart
28-05-2008, 23:02
As far as I understand that is a imperial holiday in memory of the sacrifice of sanguinius that allowed the defeat of Horus.

Does anyone have some more, detailed info on this?

Sounds somewhat like chrismas easter to me.

PondaNagura
28-05-2008, 23:07
nah, christmas is substituded by candle mass...kind of a xmas/new years thing celebrated throughout the imperium.

never heard of sanguinala

DantesInferno
28-05-2008, 23:09
As far as I understand that is a imperial holiday in memory of the sacrifice of sanguinius that allowed the defeat of Horus.

Does anyone have some more, detailed info on this?

Sounds somewhat like chrismas to me.

A quick search would have provided this:

"Of all the Primarchs of the Space Marines it is Sanguinius whose temples rise aside those of the Emperor, and whose name is cherished by ordinary folk in gratitude for the life that was taken and the life that was spared. Alone of all the Primarchs his memory is honoured by a sanctified day of celebration, the Sanguinala, when Adepts across the galaxy wear upon their breast the red badge of the Lord Angel." 2nd ed Wargear book, p64.

I don't see how it's much like Christmas at all.

Ravenheart
28-05-2008, 23:15
A quick search ...

Of course.

I don't see how it's much like Christmas at all.

The sacrifice motive also seen in the crucification of Jesus.

Thanks no the less.

PondaNagura
28-05-2008, 23:21
christmas is the birth of jesus. easter deals with the sacrifice.

Ravenheart
28-05-2008, 23:26
christmas is the birth of jesus. easter deals with the sacrifice.

Ah, yes... Easter, mixed the two up (shame on me). Sorry for the confusion.

tez
29-05-2008, 10:36
Hmmmm, Don't you think they should have a holiday for the birth of the Emperor since he is their god.

Minister
29-05-2008, 10:47
The Emperor's birthday isn't known (he is nigh immortal after all, and he's probably forgotten), but the Feast of the Emperor's Ascension marks the day when he was interned on the Golden Throne.

Sai-Lauren
29-05-2008, 13:45
Parts of it are covered in Crossfire (a good novel IMO, probably the best of the Calpurnia ones) - it seems closest to Easter, but with elements of Mardi Gras thrown in as well.

Sikkukkut
30-05-2008, 12:37
Although bear in mind that the better part of the festivities in that book are actually from a Hydraphur-specific religious cycle that comes immediately before the Sanguinala in the local calendar.