PDA

View Full Version : Of Battlecannons, Techpreists and Heavy Armour

Frodo34x
21-10-2005, 18:54
So, I've decided to start an Armoured Company. Do any of you veteran treadheads out there have any suggestions for me?

I'm wanting the army to be more than just standard LRs. Would an army based around the Pardus regiment work (a core of conquerors, with an executioner, vanquishers and destroyers for AT)? Which Forge World tanks are the best to get for an Armoured Company? Besides the Pardus, what suggestions would you make towards theming and colour scheme?

I've already decided that at least one of my tank aces is gonna be in a Vanquisher, and my leader will be a Commisar in an Executioner. What other suggestions do you have towards composition?

What's better for an AC, an armoured fist squad or a storm trooper squad?

Easy E
21-10-2005, 20:10
Check out this thread as it may help:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688

Are you using the Chapter Approved Armored Company or the Imperial Armor Armored Battlegroup?

If the CA: AC, a nice thing about Conquerors is that they can be Troops and Heavy Support. As a heavy support choice you can bypass the 2 troop tanks per Command/Ace Tank. However, then you have to sacrifice other potential heavy support options.

Stormtroopers vs. Armored Fist depends on how many elite Ace tanks you want/need for your force org. Keep in mind the special troop restrictions an Armored Company has regarding Aces and Troop Tanks. In addition, Armored Fist are Fast Attack, which you have three slots to fill in a standard force org, and the options to do this are not on your list of core tanks.

I think I've rambled enough. Toodles.

Puffin Magician
21-10-2005, 20:28
I use the Armoured Battlegroup list found in Imperial Armour Volume One. Things are a bit more expensive but it's worth the access to FW goodies like Leman Russ Executioners, Medusa Mortars, and Hydra Flak Tanks.

If the CA: AC, a nice thing about Conquerors is that they can be Troops and Heavy Support.
I don't see why they'd be taken anywhere but Troops choices. They're replacing bog-standard Russes in a list that you aren't short of Ordnance. You want those Heavy Support choices open for tasty things like Manticore Rocket Launchers and Bombard Batteries anyway.

I'd take Storm Troopers simply because they're better. As Easy said, you'll need more free Elites choices in this list, and luckily for those who use the Armoured Battlegroup list, Storm Troopers count as Fast Attack.

What to get from Forgeworld? The Vanquisher is a pretty easy job to convert yourself, so I wouldn't waste the quid on what's basically a nice-looking piece of plastic tube. The Executioner however, is a complicated bugger and it really does look nice. The Mars-pattern Hull is a good thing for your HQ to drive around in, too.

As for army composition; the Conquerors are more expensive but they will provide more accurate firepower on the move and will simply devour medium infantry after the manditory triple Heavy Bolters are added. The Executioner might not be your best bet for tank hunting; it's just a Plasma Cannon. Treat it like a longer-ranged Demolisher Cannon; blast Terminators and Monstrous Creatures with it.

The Vanquisher on the other hand is the obvious panzerjager here; Destroyers are a bit tricky since they can't have any Bs4 gunners but the s10 Ordnance packs one hell of a punch at 72".

Other than that [Vanq, Exec, 3+ Conq, Destroyer], I'd say you may be lacking the punch to kill fast and/or heavily armoured units: Eldar, Space Marines, Necrons, Chaos. The sheer number of ap4 shots spewing out of your Conquerors will only be enough to whittle them down if you can get good LoS and not be destroyed.

An Armoured Fist Anti-Tank squad could help with some of the tougher units that don't give you much of a chance to take them out before they've done their damage. A squad of 3 Missile Launchers with an Autocannon Chimera will run pretty high though; nearly 400pts.

Perhaps a Thunderer [better armour than a Demolisher] or Medusa [better range than the Demolisher] could provide some decent Ap2 punch to the list. The Manticore, Hydra, and Bombard are too specialized for a standard Armoured list, don't bother with them for now.

Easy E
21-10-2005, 20:37
I don't see why they'd be taken anywhere but Troops choices. They're replacing bog-standard Russes in a list that you aren't short of Ordnance. You want those Heavy Support choices open for tasty things like Manticore Rocket Launchers and Bombard Batteries anyway.

The Vanquisher on the other hand is the obvious panzerjager here; Destroyers are a bit tricky since they can't have any Bs4 gunners but the s10 Ordnance packs one hell of a punch at 72".

The only reason would be to avoid having to pay a higher points cost for an Ace or Command tank to squeeze more tank units into a list. Granted this is really only an issue in smaller points games such as 1,000 to 1,500.

The CA:AC list allows the Ace to be mounted in a Destroyer for the BS 4 goodness.

The other question is do you plan to use this list in tournaments or for fun? This may have an impact on which list you will want to use.

MrMojoZ
21-10-2005, 22:09
As for army composition; the Conquerors are more expensive but they will provide more accurate firepower on the move and will simply devour medium infantry after the manditory triple Heavy Bolters are added.

Less accurate and more points than an Exterminator, no thanks. I like idea of Conquerors less and less the more I get to play my AC.

Mr Evil
21-10-2005, 22:26
I'd personally go for the Armoured Battlegroup list, due to their more interesting vehicle upgrades. Slick Loader stands out, you can fire ordanance TWICE in one turn one time per game for 20 points a tank. As most Armour lists don't get optimal firing chances due terrain.

Mix your list up a bit! Take a Bombard, Hellhound, Valkyrie, Cyclopses along your more basic tanks. It will be boring to play with only Leman Russ variants!

Frodo34x
21-10-2005, 22:28
The only reason would be to avoid having to pay a higher points cost for an Ace or Command tank to squeeze more tank units into a list. Granted this is really only an issue in smaller points games such as 1,000 to 1,500.

The CA:AC list allows the Ace to be mounted in a Destroyer for the BS 4 goodness.

The other question is do you plan to use this list in tournaments or for fun? This may have an impact on which list you will want to use.
I intend this list more for fun; that's why I suggested the conquerors to theme it.

I'm not too sure about getting IA - 50 is alot for a book imho.

The list composition advice has helped, but I'm still not sure what to do mdoelling and painting wise, except that I want a Commisar Tank.

I'm gonna post some first thought army lists, I'll link them in my sig so you can all come and comment.

MrMojoZ
21-10-2005, 22:29
Didn't the Armoured Balltegroup list have some rule about weapons always glancing on a 6 or some such?

Puffin Magician
21-10-2005, 23:12
I intend this list more for fun
Great, make sure you include a Salamander Recon tank and an Atlas then, too. ;)

I'm not too sure about getting IA - £50 is alot for a book imho.
Imperial Armour is great for fluff but if all you want is the list, there's always Army Builder; they're both in there.

...some rule ...glancing on a 6
That was in the old, GW, Armoured Company list. The FW Armoured Battlegroup came a year or so after that [maybe 2?] with no such rule, and after that GW re-released an AC list, which did not contain the rule at all. It's history, but now our tanks are more expensive to compensate.

Easy E
21-10-2005, 23:20
First, think what your armored company is suppose to do? Is it a recon unit, is it an armored spearhead, is it for anti-armor, is it a seige unit?

Also think what type of planet is the Armored Company from, and what type of units would be needed there?

Once you know the type of terrain it will be fighting in, you can do some research on camo patterns. Or maybe this unit is new to the front and hasn't even had camo put on it.

Just some brainstorming.

Frodo34x
21-10-2005, 23:20
Well, when the army gets bigger I think I'm gonna include a Salamander converted to be from a foot regiment.

How good are sentinels in an AC? I figure a lascannon sentinel would get ignored with all the tanks around, and improved comms could come in useul in escalation missions.

Fluffwise, I reckon they'll be an armoured spearhead, but I'm still not sure what style camo is best so far.

MrMojoZ
21-10-2005, 23:23
Ah thanks. I am currently playing off the CA list but may look more into the FW list in the future. I really wish they hadn't left tanks like the Executioner off the list.

Frodo34x
21-10-2005, 23:32
If you have a couple of mintues to spare, could you look over the army list linked in my sig and tell me what you think. Thanks.