PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone put...

Sloppyjayman
29-05-2008, 14:44
Vampire Counts

Why does everyone put their Necromancer on a Corpse Cart? Its not like he gets the 4+ Regeneration save. Isn't he better in the front of a unit where there is no chance of him getting shot? And then moving him out of the unit before it gets into combat?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up?

Gimp
29-05-2008, 14:59
Although it looks cool is fluff and opens up great conversions it is very impracticle against a shooting army. But if you play against a close combat army it can be very worth while.

Loopstah
29-05-2008, 15:00
Because it allows the Corpse Cart to join a unit and gain a "Look out Sir" save from shooting and other nasty things.

Sloppyjayman
29-05-2008, 15:11
So your saying you mount him on a Corpse Cart and then put him in a unit. Interesting... I am guessing you move him out of the unit when they get close to combat.

Anyone else have any suggestions...

EndlessBug
29-05-2008, 15:49
Take a vampire instead... I personally don't see the point in necromancers compared to their more powerful counterpart, sure they're 45 points cheaper, but they don't have the chance to boost a units fighting ability by 3 STR 5 attacks, give the vamp avatar of death and he can also have a 3+ save in combat, give him the 2nd power level and sure he's now 150 points but he's also a level 2 mage with 3 STR 5 attacks and a 3+ save in combat!

Malorian
29-05-2008, 16:12
I take a necromancer, but he hides in a ghoul bunker in the back. WAY more defensive.

The only reason I would even think of putting him in the cart is to be able to ghoulkin the balefire carts forward before the game to ensure the enemy mages are effected.

Other than that I'd rather keep both my necromancer and my carts away from the front line.

Belerophon709
29-05-2008, 19:25
If you buy a corpse-cart on its' own, it can easily be shot to pieces. If you use it as a mount for a necromancer, the combined model will be US4 and will be able to join units and can't be singled out/will benefit from 'Look out, Sir!'. It's not a flying mount and it's not US5+.

As has already been mentioned, going ghoulkin with a vamp and marching it forward before the game can bring the hurt on enemy casters from the start.

Also, if you put it in the front-line, it's still not sure to die, as it will dish out 2d6 attacks itself. Combine this and the ghoul unit it's in with miasma of deathly vigor or vanhel's and the unit (or units in the case of miasma) will be striking first in combat. With miasma, you can even cast it in your own turn and have it last through the opposing player's turn as well, which means he'll be facing ASF should he choose to charge.

Regarding the necromancer himself, there are a few things to be said that works really well in conjunction with a corpse-cart:

For starters, there's the Nightshroud armour. Should be self-explanatory.
Secondly, as opposed to vampires, necromancers have the option of buying particular necromancy spells, which means they don't have to roll for them. So if you want an extra Vanhel's, you can get it insured on a necromancer for a bargain of 15 points, whereas you will have to rely on luck when it comes to a vampire rolling for his spells (assuming no forbidden lore here).

utrotaren
30-05-2008, 08:35
well give the necro a gem of blood and chalenge. A nice suprice.

Urgat
30-05-2008, 10:06
Who in their right mind wouldn't take up the challenge with a champion? There's been a big "Smelly" sticker on every casters challenging since the Von Hortsman speculum, you know :p

vampires are cool!
30-05-2008, 10:30
For me its the look of bemusement on my opponents face when he sees a nutty necro charging down the field, dieing to get into combat. Mine managed to kill seven swordsmen a turn for four turns like that!