PDA

View Full Version : Coolest Fluffy Apocalypse Moments

Grey Seer Skretch
29-05-2008, 15:21
Ok, so having had my little winge on the 'beardy apoc army' thread, I realised that it might reaffirm my faith in humanity if I were to put up a thread like this.

What are the coolest, most narrative, fluffy, iconic or humorous moments people have had during Apocalypse games?

To kick things off, a while back I used tunnels to set 30 grots loose in the Imperial Guard player's rear command trench. They were exterminated in short order, but the two turns of utter panicked mayhem behind the lines as Guardsmen chased grots around with shovels while the little horrors stole stuff from their kitbags and broke their radio sets was absolutely hilarious!

A very cool moment a few games back was my opponent's Warhound Titan straddling then single-handedly defending the entrance to an orbital defence silo for 3 turns against an onrushing Chaos horde, desperately preventing them from getting in and launching the missiles on a return trajectory to trigger a planetary genocide. The 'hound took an absolutely horrific pounding, but stood firm to the last and the marines roared in just in time to save it. So deeply hollywood :D

So come on guys and girls, surely its not all cheese lists and 'pwnage'? Contribute and prove Apocalypse is more fluffy than a kitten in a tumbledrier!

IJW
29-05-2008, 15:46
Humorous - the curious predictability of Vortex Grenades.

Game 1 (first Apoc game in the club): Mr. FW Greater Unclean One pops out of a Warp Rift and lays waste to the surroundings. A Land Raider rumbles up, pops the assault ramp and disgorges a Chaplain plus retinue. Chaplain throws Vortex Grenade, which deviates back directly onto Chaplain, killing Chaplain, Land Raider and most of the retinue. GUO laughs like a drain, but only briefly as the Vortex must have been attracted by the noise at the start of the next turn...

Game 2: A large woodland about 12x24" (4 separate terrain pieces) straddled no-mans-land but by this point contains 15 Wraithguard, several Wraithlords, Warlocks and a Farseer or two. CSM guy jumps out of a Rhino and throws Vortex Grenade at a couple of Wraithlords, but it scatters further into the densely-packed woodland. It manages to find a spot in between most of the units and only takes out a couple of Warlocks and some Wraithguard. Unfortunately it happens to the the sport where the four bits of woodland join, and takes out the entire lot. The Eldar Spirit host are slightly put out by this, until the next turn when the Vortex scatters (yes, you guessed it) back into the CSM character, his retinue and Rhino...

Fourth game: Vortex misses the enemy entirely, and proceeds to chase the thrower around the board for the rest of the game.

Epicness - one Revenant taking out two Baneblades, a Land Raider and a Brass Scorpion in one game, only taking damage from the BS blowing up.
Another game with two Revenants - one ends up jump-packing into the middle of the enemy but falls to an Imperial Guard officer with Powerfist - upon falling over, the Revenent blows up taking out the entire IG regiment, apart from the officer, who stands there in the middle of all the devastation with a stunned expression.
Meanwhile, back on the Eldar side of the table, six CC Carnifexes and several Chaos Dreadnoughts Flank march into the back of the other Revenant...

penguin663
29-05-2008, 15:53
middle of the enemy but falls to an Imperial Guard officer with Powerfist - upon falling over, the Revenent blows up taking out the entire IG regiment, apart from the officer, who stands there in the middle of all the devastation with a stunned expression

That reminded me of my Apocalypse moment. My Brass Scorpion charges against a fortress wall killing dozen of men and cutting down character left right and center.

So while I'm busy with the guys in front I don't notice the assualt squad behind my scorpion. Needless to say they charge in and the sergeant with a Powerfist causes my Scorpion to explode killing everything nearby including the fortress and remaining troops except the fething assualt sergeant, who the then goes on to kill 2 Leman russes, a Sorceror before finally dying to a Chaos Spawn:eyebrows:

Triggerdog
29-05-2008, 16:03
My mos fluffy Apoc moment recently happened. I was commanding my trusty tanks and was facing some other Imperial guard. I ground forward across no-man's land shooting with average results. In some random chat with my opponent he said that his guard army in thier background didnt really worship the Emperor that much. My army is quite pious in its background. My turn rolled around and from then until the end of the game none of my ordnance scattered and 90% of the shots my torrents of heavy bolters put out hit and wounded. 4000pts of Imperial guard, dead to a man by turn 5 all because they did not accept the Emperor as the divine being he is.

Durath
29-05-2008, 17:31
Probably the coolest thing I've had happen, fluff-wise, was Deep Striking a squad of Chaos Terminators lead by a Terminator Lord right next to a Baneblade, and throwing a Vortex grenade on it. It deviated from the center of the turret to the front of it, and I promptly rolled a 3 on the Structure damage, wrecking it.

I imagined it as something like this:

A lumbering Baneblade was slowly moving along taking shots as it tread. Suddenly several bright crackles of colored warp energy appeared next to it, and a group of Chaos Terminators appeared where the warp crackles were.

The Terminator in the center, the most ornately decorated of the group, rises from a kneeling position, as the others wait crouched down. He pulls a semi-large cylindrical canister from his waist, and twists the top. A whine increases in pitch, indicating that its armed and counting down to detonation. With a mighty heft, he tosses it towards the Baneblade's turret striking the front armor plating.

The canister bounces off the front of the turret, then rolls down the front of the main hull, wedging itself behind the front heavy bolter housing. Almost instantly, the canister explodes into a black sphere of lightning, shimmering stars and leering faces. Nearly a third of the width of the baneblade itself consumed by the sphere. The remainder of the tank then explodes as fuel or ammo stores are triggered.

=)

razormasticator
29-05-2008, 17:38
Too many Baneblades dying in this thread. I am not feeling too optimistic about my tanks chances this weekend. LOL

ServanoTomasin
29-05-2008, 18:29
Game 1:
My armoured company valiantly fighting off a combined chaos/ork army, sort of like Zulu but with tanks...
Anyway, my Pardus were defending a small circular area with a techpriest in it. The techpriest, the command squad and 2 Atlas recovery tanks are slowly pulling an artifact out of the ground whilst being assaulted by the orks/chaos. It was very like Honour Guard, with the Padus 8th being heavily out numbered. I won, but at such a huge cost in men and tanks. I lost 75% of my leman russ and all of my infantry, my co-commander lost all of the air support, 1 titan and 12 armoured fist squads and half of his tanks. But, we managed to pull the "artifact" out of the ground and left the battle field. The ork player lost a grand total of 2707 orks. Really. The chaos player lost alot too. Numerous autocannons, assault cannons, stubbers and heavy bolters do very heavy damage to speed freakz :D.

Game 2:
Me, another space marine and an imperial player against 2'nid and 1 chaos player. The fighting, I'm told (I wasn't there yet) was intense, my buddy's guard taking a pounding in the first 4 turns, but he still charged forwards with two armoured cavalry squadrons (2 squads of 6 leman russ).
By turn 6 things weren't going well for my mate, having been pushed back, almost to the start line. Then, I and my 4th company smurfs and my mate's Holwing griffons arived. 2 Tyranid hunter squads and 1 venerably dreadnought arrived via cola cans (sorry, drop pods) into the exact centre of the 'nid army - unfortuantly next to the strongest nidzillas. They attracted most of the nid force, and managed to take down 3 carnifexes and 23 genestelaers before they either died or fell back...into more nidz.
Meanwhile the Griffon's armoured support made a marching flank manover, arriving in the nid's left flank, attracting the nid's attention and allowing the guard's armoured cavalry to charge forwards, led by a commissar tank. 26 leman russ led the charge, followed by numerous hellhounds and chimeras (We used our combined armies for all the tanks, as all of the players collect guard) and infantry squads.
That probably wasn't the greatest thing to do...as it allowed several large chaos units (who until now had done little, if anything) to scoot around the guard's rear, and cuase significant damage to the infantry.
The two spacemarine forces met in the middle, me from the right and we cause a gap between the nids. This allowed the marines and the guard to kill anything that was between them. The chaos charged into 1 guard platoon, only to have 4 more counter charge them. The marines took heavy casualties, but the managed to meet up with the 3 remaining nid hunters.
We decied that there wasn't a winner as we ran out of time, but either way it was a fluffy battle. And very entertaining.

@ razormasticator, baneblades can survive pretty well, it depends on who or what you're fighting. All I'll say is, if you have a tank or infantry heavy force, keep it weel awy from the Bblades in case it goes nuclear...I've seen many a battle lost due to 3 Bblades nuking each other...and every friendsly unit surrounding it...

S.T

razormasticator
29-05-2008, 19:05
Game 1:
My armoured company valiantly fighting off a combined chaos/ork army, sort of like Zulu but with tanks...
Anyway, my Pardus were defending a small circular area with a techpriest in it. The techpriest, the command squad and 2 Atlas recovery tanks are slowly pulling an artifact out of the ground whilst being assaulted by the orks/chaos. It was very like Honour Guard, with the Padus 8th being heavily out numbered. I won, but at such a huge cost in men and tanks. I lost 75% of my leman russ and all of my infantry, my co-commander lost all of the air support, 1 titan and 12 armoured fist squads and half of his tanks. But, we managed to pull the "artifact" out of the ground and left the battle field. The ork player lost a grand total of 2707 orks. Really. The chaos player lost alot too. Numerous autocannons, assault cannons, stubbers and heavy bolters do very heavy damage to speed freakz :D.

Game 2:
Me, another space marine and an imperial player against 2'nid and 1 chaos player. The fighting, I'm told (I wasn't there yet) was intense, my buddy's guard taking a pounding in the first 4 turns, but he still charged forwards with two armoured cavalry squadrons (2 squads of 6 leman russ).
By turn 6 things weren't going well for my mate, having been pushed back, almost to the start line. Then, I and my 4th company smurfs and my mate's Holwing griffons arived. 2 Tyranid hunter squads and 1 venerably dreadnought arrived via cola cans (sorry, drop pods) into the exact centre of the 'nid army - unfortuantly next to the strongest nidzillas. They attracted most of the nid force, and managed to take down 3 carnifexes and 23 genestelaers before they either died or fell back...into more nidz.
Meanwhile the Griffon's armoured support made a marching flank manover, arriving in the nid's left flank, attracting the nid's attention and allowing the guard's armoured cavalry to charge forwards, led by a commissar tank. 26 leman russ led the charge, followed by numerous hellhounds and chimeras (We used our combined armies for all the tanks, as all of the players collect guard) and infantry squads.
That probably wasn't the greatest thing to do...as it allowed several large chaos units (who until now had done little, if anything) to scoot around the guard's rear, and cuase significant damage to the infantry.
The two spacemarine forces met in the middle, me from the right and we cause a gap between the nids. This allowed the marines and the guard to kill anything that was between them. The chaos charged into 1 guard platoon, only to have 4 more counter charge them. The marines took heavy casualties, but the managed to meet up with the 3 remaining nid hunters.
We decied that there wasn't a winner as we ran out of time, but either way it was a fluffy battle. And very entertaining.

@ razormasticator, baneblades can survive pretty well, it depends on who or what you're fighting. All I'll say is, if you have a tank or infantry heavy force, keep it weel awy from the Bblades in case it goes nuclear...I've seen many a battle lost due to 3 Bblades nuking each other...and every friendsly unit surrounding it...

S.T

Thanks for the advice...

here is my list, its going to be fun no doubt.... Rumor has it there is a nasty Trygon and Raveners running amok on the other side. I can only imagine how many fexes there will be on the board.
Like I said, its a 14,000 point game. I have about 3,100 points, and I have heard there should be about 2 other Baneblades on our side of the board. Plus some Tau.

77th Vostroyan Rifles Regiment

Doctrines:
Carapace
Sharpshooters
Restricted Troops: Special Weapons Squads
Restricted Troops: Heavy Weapon Platoons
Iron Discipline = ID in list

HQ

Regimental HQ: (ID, +Carapace)
1 HSO w/Powerfist + Bolt Pistol
1 Medic
1 Standard Bearer
1 Grenade Launcher Trooper
1 Master Vox

Anti Tank Support Squad: carapace, sharpshooters)
Lascannon x3

Anti Infantry Support Squad:carapace, sharpshooters
Autocannons x3

Anti Infantry Support Squad: carapace
Mortar x3

Sentinel Support Squadron/Cadian Pattern:armored crew compartment)

Special Weapons Support Squad: carapace
1 Sgt. with laspistol pointing
3 Melta Gun Troopers
2 Standard Lasgun Troopers

1 Commissar
Plasma pisto , power sword, refractor field

1 Commissar
bolter , power sword , refractor field

TROOPS

ALPHA PLATOON:

HQ Detachment Alpha: ID for carapace

1 Junior Officer with plasma pistol & power sword
1 Meltagun Trooper
1 Grenade Launcher Trooper
2 Standard Lasgun Troopers

Squad 1: carapace sharpshooters

1 Sgt. with laspistol pointing
2-model Heavy Bolter team
1 Plasma Gun Trooper
6 Standard Lasgun Troopers

Squad 2: for carapace, sharpshooters

1 Vet Sgt. with plasma pistol pointing
2 model Heavy Bolter team
1 Plasma Gun Trooper

BETA PLATOON:

HQ Detachment Beta: ID,carapace

1 Junior Officer with power fist
1 Meltagun Trooper
1 Flamer Trooper
1 Vox caster
1 Medic

Squad 3: Armored Fist Squad
for carapace, sharpshooters

1 Vet Sgt. with bolt pistol & chainsword
1 plasma gun Trooper

Chimera (Special Issue): (autocannon,+10 for track guards)

Squad 4: carapace,sharpshooters

1 Vet Sgt. with bolt pistol & chainsword
1 grenade launcher Trooper

Elites:

Storm Trooper Squad

1 Vet Sgt+6. with hell pistol & power sword
1 Plasma Gunner
1 Melta Gunner
6 Standard Storm Troopers

Deep strike or Infiltrate +10 points

Armor supplied by the 127th Vostroyan Steel Menace Company.

Fast Attack:

2 Sentinels, Armageddon Pattern: armored crew compartment

Hellhound (with smoke launchers + pintle mounted heavy stubber)

Heavy Support:

Emperors Fist Tank Squadron Apocalypse formation
Command tank is Executioner variant
1 model with the Ryza turret has track guards
All 3 with smoke launchers

Super Heavy Support

1 Baneblade “Storm of Steel”

3098 List Total ** I dont have the exact total here with me. I am doing this by memory.

MrBigMr
29-05-2008, 19:09
To tell the truth, I have never played Apocalypse, but I've watched one game at a local store. A friend had his 13th company SW. Order was to proceed forwards no matter what, and as an obediant person, he marched his marines through a minefield, losing half of them. Orders are orders. In the same game a vortex grenade chaced a looted Ork Russ for the entire game.

Dreachon
29-05-2008, 19:53
Watching a Nid army of 20000pts attack a fortress guarded by 8000pts of IG and SM, now that's epic.

BrotherOfBrass
01-06-2008, 11:46
The Space Wolves had been pushed back within the boundaries of the city, and had scant few moments to recoup and re-take the vital bridges. Even at this range the renegade's guns were delivering a pounding, and Bjorn was determined to sell his men's lives dearly.
As the advance recommenced into the teeth of the enemy guns, multiple new contacts appeared on the Wolves' auspexes. Bjorn's heart soared! Reinforcements! But, he noticed not Imperial ones...
The Eldar of Siamm Hann had chosen their moment perfectly. The Space Wolves were still to far away to attack them, and the PDF were now under attack on two fronts. Battle was truly joined.

This is essentially what happened in my last Apocalypse battle, and it was my favourite by far. My first couple of games involved my armies being blown apart by long range fire and not much else, whereas this game had it all: shady alliances in keeping with the races philosophy (what where the Eldar doing there? Would the Wolves attack them too?), massive war machines dealing death before being out-manouvered and exploding apocalyptically (his warhound went nuclear) and general carnage around the objectives rather than just in my deployment zone. Marvellous.

Oh, and I lost.

SirSnipes
01-06-2008, 14:32
ok so yesterday we were playing citys of battle. they sniped thedriverof a rino, which exploded due to uinluicky rolls, it blewup adefiler next to it whitch blew up witch destroyed a building and in the process killed 36 CSM

Lordsaradain
01-06-2008, 15:02
Chaos Lord in Terminator suit triumphing in an epic duel atop a tall building against a Grey Knight Terminator Marshall while his terminator bodyguards fought the unit of Grey Knight Terminators. The outcome of this duel determined victor of the battle. :)

malisteen
01-06-2008, 15:49
Abaddon hucking a vortex grenade at a stompa, then charging it, eventually tearing it apart in close combat while simultaneously fighting off the dreadnoughts it kept dropping.

MrBigMr
01-06-2008, 18:06
Watching a Nid army of 20000pts attack a fortress guarded by 8000pts of IG and SM, now that's epic.
Sounds sweet. The biggest one I've seen was at a WHFB tournament, in which the last scenario was a 3-on-3 megabattle, though one table ended having 4-on-4 (total of 15992pts.). As a 1999pts. tournament, which ment more troops than big monsters and heroes.
One end of the table:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/971/p5040356ih8.jpg
And the other:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8851/p5040354ki7.jpg

downundercadet07
01-06-2008, 18:24
3000 point a side armored company versus all-infantry Alaitoc rangers. In a class-3 city fight. EPIC. Pathfinders blasting away at the flanks of tanks while harlequins and warp spiders tried to flank and get the back armor. After the hell-hounds died (frying heaps of finders before they went) he got bogged down in tank carcasses and I could disengage to grab the objectives.

RCgothic
01-06-2008, 18:29
My favourite apocalypse game: I was deployed at the narrow end of the no-man's land, facing many times my points.

Highlight of the game was a stompa blowing open my land raider and the one surviving assault terminator running up to a gargantuan squiggoth with his thunder hammer and striking it dead with a well placed blow to the head. This managed to hold the orks off just long enough to prevent them claiming a vital objective and allowing us to draw.

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
02-06-2008, 04:45
First Apocalypse game for my group. It was my IG and my friends SM against Eldar and Tau, 6000 points a side.

Half the board was city and the other was woodlands. The Eldar and Tau held most of the city.

To start, only a platoon of Guard and two squads of Kasrkin, some sentinals plus a basilisk were on the board to face a swift attack from the Xenos. It was a bloody first turn and first half of turn two.

The bottom half of turn two saw the Hammer of the Imperium and the scapel of the Space Marines in action. Leman Russ Battle Tanks, Hellhounds and a Baneblade came in and wrecked havoc on the advancing Xenos while the Space Marines flanked marched into the rear units.

With the Xenos caught between a Hammer and an Anvil, the game was called one turn later.

Slaaneshi Slave
02-06-2008, 04:56
A Canoness and Seraphim unit charging Marneus Calgar, his Honour Guard and the entire Masters of the Ultramarine Chapter and beating them all to death over about three rounds of combat. All in the shadow of a Reaver Battle Titan pouring plasma and lead over the rest of the enemy forces.

razormasticator
02-06-2008, 10:59
Having a Trygon, and Heierdule laden Mycetic swarm Deep Strike with a bunch on nasty fexes... only to kill the Trygon, Heirodule & 2 of the fexes, all the while putting 3-4 wounds on two of the other fexes and at least 1 on every other one.

It was sweet and that was all during one shooting phase.

Killgore
02-06-2008, 12:25
3000point game

My Ulthwe Eldar versus the might of the Adaptus Mechanicus (an unholy blend of witchhunters, imperial guard and spacemarine rules)

My admech foe used 3 Land Raiders and lots of other vehicles such as Trojans, atlus recovery tanks, chimeras and hellhounds and having very few troops inlcuding several last chancer demo charge deep strikers >_<

I had a spirit host of 17 wraithguard and 3 wraithlords, plenty of guardians a fire prism and a Scorpion Super Heavy tank

well my wraithguard got blasted repeatatly with heavy bolters before taking out a land raider with wraithcannons, the wraithlords all died and my scorpion began dispencing D strength death on the other tanks....

then the Driver of Scorpion got stunned, and with the Scorpion's paper armor and lack of the holofield save due not being able to move i thought it would be wiped out next turn

but fate was with the Eldar as the gunner of the Scorpion aimed the tank's bright lance at a land raider destroying it then blasted the remaining land raider with the Twin Pulsars

to my foes utter disbelief in one turn of shooting i had removed all of his remaining anti tank weaponry apart from one or two men armed with krak grenades

Grindgodgrind
02-06-2008, 13:25
4000 points a side, Imperial Guard and Marines (me), Vs 2 armeis of 'crons.

My buddy Sam's Imperial Guard, which had 2 Baneblades including the Fortress Of Arrogance, loads of tanks, chimeras full of troops etc, my White Panthers with lots of bikes, and an armoured column Vs an Undying Legion, a Pylon and a Mono-Phalanx, lead by Deceiver...

The highlights included -

My chapter masters headlong turboboost up the table to contest an objective, and to fight some Destroyers.

Watching 24 Necrons rapid fire at Chimera and fail to even scratch the paintwork.

Gunning down 20 bases of Scarabs in the first turn to stop my guardsmen chums being overrun.

Our shield generator stopping the worst of what the 'crons could chuck at us...

Commissar Yarrick jumping off his Baneblade to beatdown a Necron Lord (that was a moment).

20 Immortals turning up on a flank march, only to get jumped and knocked down by 10 countercharging Scouts and a Techmarine.

The best bit? Necrons first turn, Phalanx turns up, predictably in formation slap bang in front of our defense line. 'Crons start flooding through, and tanks and stuff start getting blown up left, right and centre. Fortunately, they failed to do too much damage. Come our shooting phase, I call down a precision strike on one of the 'liths. The resulting deluge of lascannon/baneblade fire leaves it as smoking pile of rubble. Not to be outdone, my Predator Annihilator lines up it's shot, and blasts a huge hole in Monolith number 2. Then, and the Emperor really must have been watching, one of my buddy's Guardsmen takes a potshot at the last 'lith with his meltagun. BOOM! The Phalanx died in one turn of shooting. Now, that's a moment.

lachlin
02-06-2008, 15:25
I had a squad of necron warriors w/ Lord VOD behind my stompa (under its shields). They shoot and knock off some movement. In my turn my warboss (inside the stompa) lobs his vortex grenade at the squad, it hits and doesn't scatter. The entire squad is picked up.