PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating a Genestealer Cult...

Grey Seer Skretch
29-05-2008, 14:30
So, I'm not a major Tyranid player, but I do dearly love the old 'stealer cults. I accept that it would be very difficult without making it an apocalypse army to do a really textbook stealer cult list, but I'm getting steadily more enthusiastic about the idea of putting together and painting a 'stealer cult list based around the guard codex. Have people done this (I'm pretty sure the answer to that is yeah, duh lol!)and if so, how did you find it? People got hints and tips to help me out? What does and doesn't work?

All advice much appreciated :D

Triggerdog
29-05-2008, 14:32
pop over to Bell of Lost Souls .com, they have a nice Genestealer Cult List availible as a PDF. They even remembered to throw in the Limos.

Lord Damocles
29-05-2008, 14:40
Citadel Journals 40 & 41 had an OFFICIAL Genestealer Cult list.

Admittedly it was designed for third edition, but then so was the Dark Eldar list...

don_mondo
29-05-2008, 15:14
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/GenestealerCults/

Group includes Tim H. who wrote the aforementioned CJ list...........

Brother Loki
29-05-2008, 15:15
The Bell of lost Souls one is essentially the 2nd/3rd edition ones updated to the current rules and codex format. Like everything BOLS do its fairly extensively playtested. If you're not bothered about tournaments its an ideal choice, and much easier to obtain than the old citadel journals.

Wishing
29-05-2008, 15:45
I keep hoping that Forge World will do some cool new genestealer hybrids and characters some day. It seems like something they would do.

Torga_DW
29-05-2008, 16:05
I have my own version of the genestealer cult list. Just PM me and we can work out how i can send you the rules, if interested. I don't like the BoLS version, too many limos.

ThousandPlateaus
29-05-2008, 17:11
...too many limos.

:eek:
In a Genestealer Cult, there's no such thing!

Playa
29-05-2008, 19:56
Hey,

:eek:
In a Genestealer Cult, there's no such thing!

Agreed. Still, with just the IG Codex as reference, try:

RESTRICTED TROOPS: Conscript Platoon
Human Brood Brothers.

SKILLS AND DRILLS: Hardened Fighters
Fanatical Fervour.

SKILLS AND DRILLS: Veterans
Hybrids.

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: Chem-Inhalers
Synapse.

RESTRICTED TROOPS: Heavy Weapon Platoon
Infiltrated PDF Armouries.

This makes a GSC army Codex-legal. ;- )

Now, get modeling!

Playa

ThousandPlateaus
29-05-2008, 20:29
Just use the BoLS list, it's brilliant.

DullMentalRacket
29-05-2008, 21:33
I have a ton of the old genestealer cultist assembled but unpainted if anyone wants any :x

ThousandPlateaus
29-05-2008, 21:44
Pop them in the trade thread, I'm sure plenty of people here do.

Grimtuff
29-05-2008, 21:45
I think the Nid list lends itself perfectly to a Stealer Cult, see this thread (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/212163.page) on Dakka.

Though i'm not a huge fan of the modelling the application of "counts as" in this case is fantastic. :)

Feor
30-05-2008, 02:31
Alternatly, use the Guard list with the Genestealers "counts as" allied Grey Knights.

cerealkiller195
30-05-2008, 03:44
if its still allowed in your parts use the LATD codex, mutants = hybrids, initiates/brood brothers are traitors, genestealers are demons, demon prince = patriarch, magus = aspiring champs.

Ronin_eX
30-05-2008, 05:57
I'll second the Nid codex if you want something within the current rules (though a custom codex at this point would also work). Tyrants as the Patriarch (not the Broodmaster as he isn't psychic enough), Termagants as hybrids, Genestealers and Broodmasters as your purepreeds. Use the Zoanthrope as a Magus and you're set. The only trouble will be making rules for those stylish limos. :p

jubilex
30-05-2008, 06:26
I accept that it would be very difficult without making it an apocalypse army to do a really textbook stealer cult list,
I'm in the middle of building a 3000 point cult at the mo (about half done or thereabouts).

Though my mates would let me get away with using any of the lists out there, I wanted a 100% legal force, with as little "counts as" as possible.

The gw doctrines list is useless, no genestealers!!!

So, I went for imp guard as the core army with witch and daemon hunters allies.

Magus = daemon hunter inquisitor with hypnotic gaze (word of the emporer) and shadow in the warp (psychic hood).

Patriarch = evesor assassin.

Purestrains = arco flaggellants.

Everything else is straight out of the imp guard dex and is pretty obvious what it is though with name changes appropriate to the cult.

I hope to get it up and running (scuttling?) in the next month or so.

This is a pic of some work gang tyrants (the fluff is set in a mine) with pneumatic drills (power fists) = commissars and hybrid acolytes with rock saws (priests with eviscerators).

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w203/jubilex_album/acolyteneophyte.jpg

ThousandPlateaus
30-05-2008, 09:01
Though my mates would let me get away with using any of the lists out there, I wanted a 100% legal force, with as little "counts as" as possible.

So, I went for imp guard as the core army with witch and daemon hunters allies.

Magus = daemon hunter inquisitor with hypnotic gaze (word of the emporer) and shadow in the warp (psychic hood).

Patriarch = evesor assassin.

Purestrains = arco flaggellants.

Sorry Jubilex, that's not a legal combination. Your Inquisitor enables you to take one Elite choice, as he's a Daemonhunter, this has to be the Eversor Assassin.

To get the Arco Flagellants, you'd have to take a second Inquisitor Lord from the Witch Hunters codex. This would give you 3 HQ, which I'm not sure is legal.

Personally, I don't care - but as you said you're looking for a 100% legality, so I thought I should point this out.

jubilex
30-05-2008, 09:59
Sorry Jubilex, that's not a legal combination.
It is legal.

The daemon hunter inquisitor lord allows the eversor, while the only restriction on the arco flaggellants is they must have preists.
The preists don't take up an foc slot (see the witch hunters faq), so it's fine.

ThousandPlateaus
30-05-2008, 10:11
Ah, ok - so you've taken a WH Priest as HQ 3, which then allows you to take the Flagellants? My mistake then. Sorry!