PDA

View Full Version : Taking care of tyranid bio-titans...

Kildash
29-05-2008, 19:34
yeah, I'm going to play an apocalypse match soon, and my nid opponent will bring 20000 pts, which will include something like this:

-1 biotitan (i think it's called a hierophant)
-2 hierodules
-one of those flying gargantuans
-endless swarm
-about 200 genestealers...

I dont' know what to do to kill the biotitan... 10 wounds, and it regenerates...

I have no superheavies myself

SilverScorpion
29-05-2008, 20:06
Hmm so hes got 4 legendary units?

If your wanting a balanced game id ask him not to use at least some of them.Super heavies/gargantuan (sp?) creatures are most fun when they have similarly powerful opponents

Bigbot
29-05-2008, 20:10
I'd tend to agree with that.

While Apocalypse isn't primarily about game balance it's also no fun if you're totally outclassed from the get-go. Ask him if he would mind limiting his titans or you proxying something for a superheavy of your own and see where you go from there

RCgothic
29-05-2008, 20:19
You want lots and lots of lascannons on infantry, possibly a vortex grenade too.

Mozzamanx
29-05-2008, 20:23
Just use Rending, its the answer to everything!

Which army do you have?

cuda1179
29-05-2008, 20:27
You coule always see if someone would loan you two or three Reaver titans, LOL. Seriously, that is a lot to fight against. It wouldn't really be that fun if you didn't have something similar.

mchmr6677
29-05-2008, 20:41
What are you fielding that you can put 20K on table without using any superheavies?

Seriously, that is ALOT of points and on a board that should be about 48 sq feet... His superheavies will not be as overwelming as you might think. They are limited to ranges of 48" on their guns and while fast (12" movement), if you have orbital barrages you will still be able to do some good damage.

The one real sticking point will be the hierophant... They are near impossible to destroy unless you are able to get two or three assault terminator squads with thunder hammers into CC. Make sure you use chaplains to overcome the leadership test.

Keichi246
29-05-2008, 21:19
What army you using?

Against something like that - I'd consider spending a bunch of points on Inquisitional Orbital strikes. "Nuke it till it glows then shoot em in the dark"

Otherwise... Ouch. With my Tau I'd toss in my Broadside Brute Squad - 12 Broadsides - but even that probably won't cut it...

Jellicoe
29-05-2008, 21:56
Whatever else your opponent might be he is certainly wealthy

from bitter experience I find that massed las cannon teams, preferably with sharpshooter are quite effective and have certainly done for my Hierodule both times he has been fielded. A Guard Heavy weapons platoon or a pair of Annihilators will take them down fairly swiftly.

max the dog
29-05-2008, 21:58
I'd be much more worried about that mob of genestealers, 600 rending attacks on a 1st round charge is going to ruin everyones day. To get to 20,000 points he'd going to have a lot more than you have listed there or do some serious buffing to his units.

ChaosBeast
29-05-2008, 22:20
yyeah but how are you meant to get 200 genestealers in combat with anything other than atitan?

for his heirodule plus flying thing just blast them to hell with lascannons/railguns/dark lances/whatever till they explode. with the hierophant theres nothing you can do without SH's just pile about 3000 points into and endless combat so it cant do anything.

Ozendorph
29-05-2008, 22:35
What army are you playing? What do you have available? Sort of hard to give advice without a few details.

blackraven
29-05-2008, 22:45
vertex franade and vortex missile launcher ....................lots of them...............if possible

Epicenter
30-05-2008, 00:25
btw, you probably want to make a house rule that forbids him from taking Flank March. It's simply too good of a stratagem, especially for nids.

I'd honestly talk to your opponent. Apocalypse is about having fun, and really if you don't have similar superheavies up your sleeve, you as might as well save yourself the time and frustration and just concede the game to him - it seems like you're about to get moneyhammer'd.

Especially if (as I suspect) you're a shorter on points than he is and so you're going have to make a go of it by getting lots of Stratagems to make up for the points difference. A lot of those Stratagems are deadly, but they tend to be for the purpose of mowing down normal units - they rarely do a thing to superheavies.

Gen.Steiner
30-05-2008, 01:28
Whatever else your opponent might be he is certainly wealthy

from bitter experience I find that massed las cannon teams, preferably with sharpshooter are quite effective and have certainly done for my Hierodule both times he has been fielded. A Guard Heavy weapons platoon or a pair of Annihilators will take them down fairly swiftly.

As the destroyer of his Hierodule (once), I vouch for:

1) A super-heavy of your own to draw fire. Baneblades are nice.
2) Lots of Lascannons! 3 is enough if you're lucky - don't count on it. Get 10, in a Heavy Weapons Platoon, and back it up with another Baneblade if possible. ;)

Grimbad
30-05-2008, 02:00
In my experience, a turn or two of fire from a bio-cannon wielding tyranid will destroy or otherwise render useless a superheavy, though it will mean a turn or two less fire from the nid for your other units. I'd take precision strike and use it to maim his bio-titan. Killing the bio-titan will not only destroy a scary unit, but will likely have some morale effect too. Tanks with pintle mounts for anti-air will help against the other gargantuans. If you have enough time, build a simple stompa or two. (try this method:http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2007/08/mr-potato-head-stompa.html)
Say they're blood axe mercenaries. The gatler should do horrible, horrible things to the swarms, and supa rokkits hitting on a 2+ should do something to help with the flyer.

Mr. Smuckles
30-05-2008, 04:52
A big enough unit of tau railgun suits can usually pop a 'Nid superheavy every turn. I've seen this in action many a saturday, as my apocalypse partner is a 'Nid player with a Hierophant and it usually gets downed pretty quickly. You gotta worry about the bulk of the little guys making it across the field unscathed while all of your firepower is concentrated on bringing down the big bugs.

GimpMaster
30-05-2008, 04:53
how my hierophant's have died...

4 wave serpents full of wraith guard and a warlock show up and lay some waist....

karandaras...shadow stalks (or what ever) right into his terrain and lobs a vortex grenade in his face...

40 or something genestealers....(daemonettes...also from the 3.5 chaos codex...back when my hierophants still had mass points...heh)

lots and lots and lots of lascannons....

the hierodules are surprisingly easy to kill...remember it has a 3+ save...krak missiles can actually kill him...
4 earth shaker rounds a turn should turn him inside out rather quickly...
last game 3 hammer heads showed up...used that auto marker light thing...took away all his cover and then put 2 wounds on him...then a sun storm squadron took him out...heh

strength D (or vitamin D...)weapons are your friend....find a way to sneak them into your list...they might not do a whole lot if they are in synapse (1 wound a pop) but if you can catch them outside of synapse yer rocken em for D3 wounds..

here is a super nasty trick a friend of mine used to clear out a whole LOT of my tyranids really fast....deep striking vortex grenade carrier...lots of chaos sorcerers on bikes with lash of submission....he lashed 4 of my carnifexes and 2 hive tyrants right inside of that darn vortex grenade....BLAH!!

Mr. Smuckles
30-05-2008, 04:55
here is a super nasty trick a friend of mine used to clear out a whole LOT of my tyranids really fast....deep striking vortex grenade carrier...lots of chaos sorcerers on bikes with lash of submission....he lashed 4 of my carnifexes and 2 hive tyrants right inside of that darn vortex grenade....BLAH!!

Wow this is a nasty trick. Going to have to add this one to my arsenal and give it a go one of these days.

Kildash
30-05-2008, 06:53
sorry, I forgot to say what army I play... I play space marines with the regular codex, my own chapter... I field about 6000 pts, and have a bit of everything, and I have an imperial guard player who will bring 6 baneblades...
oh, I forgot, my opponent will also bring 2 trygons and a mycetic swarm (deep striking carnifexes...)... So we are not really short on super heavies... but the problem is, that a baneblade can be shot down really easily by any of those hiero-things... S10 assault 10 tends to shred some metal... and therefore I need to help him out a bit... we also play on a table that is really long, usually about 120"-48" or something like that... the problem is that I cant decide whether to take lots of heavy bolters, or lots of lascannons... some people tell me that it's the little ones that I should be afraid of, but the big ones look sooooo scary!

Oh, btw, I was going to use the disruptor beacon, but apparently everyone else agreed not to play with strategems... only the ones you get through units... Im using a titanhammer termie squad, a 4 vindie linebreaker and the masters of the chapter

Jellicoe
30-05-2008, 08:16
Dont be so sure about the effectiveness of a bio cannons against a Baneblade. On paper it looks too good to be true and they do put out an unholy amount of firepower. However Baneblades are tough old beasts and when my Hierodule went up against Steiner's 'Sword of the Gods' he only managed to take down one structure point, the main cannon, demolisher cannon and half the speed, there may have been the odd shaken result too, before he died under its fire power combined with a well dug in anti tank team with Las cannons. Even that damage still left the Baneblade with more than enough fire power from its secondary turrets and sponsons to continue causing much shootie/killy death amongst my lesser broods.

It was a cool matchup though