PDA

View Full Version : Terradons

Feefait
29-05-2008, 19:42
I used Terradons for the first time last week end. Didn't go well. I've had them since they were released bakc in 5th edition and just never got aorund to suing them. As I said my first attempt was sad. Turn 1 they were hit by a doom diver, one died and they panicked and were off the board.

Now my fault here, didn't have them within 12 of the Slann. Dumb move, for some reason it never occured to me that they would have to make a panic check for anything... lol

But I still wonder if they are worth it. We are rematching as our game was cut short, so I will deply better. But my question is does anyone find them really very useful for anything other then a target?

Malorian
29-05-2008, 19:50
They aren't dependable like salamanders, but they can do a good job of warmachine hunting and march blocking. Also are great for baiting frenzied units.

Thanks to their hit and run they can do a good job of mage hunting too.

One-S
29-05-2008, 20:07
The ability of terradons to "hit and run" in combination with flying... delightfull.

I like using them for harasing small units of knights. When you've got some space (easy to find with a 20 inch move) start charging those knights in the flank.
3 terradons in the flank of a unit of knights gives you 9 str 4 attacks, that's all, but it might just kill you a knight if you are persistent.
You charge, fall back, charge again ...
You can keep doing this because you auto really after a fall back. And the best part, the opponent can't pursue! If he doesn't fase the terradons, you can keep doing this.
If he turns his knights to go after the terradons, hup to the other side of them and start all over. Do keep in mind that terradons loose their hit and run ability if they get charged or when they stay engaged for more then one turn.
You CAN fallback if you win combat, do it! and go in again next turn.
Best is to keep them within 12 inch of your general (babysitter) in the first few turns.
Untill you can send them off to kill that warmachine that bothers you or whatever.
They're great harasers and excell at killing mages in units (6 str 4 atacks = dead mage).
I never leave the house without them.

blueon462
29-05-2008, 20:12
I prefer terradons to commando skinks. They are great when used to their strengths, leadership of course not being one. They are great fast calv killers, marchblockers, warmachine killers and arent too shabby at killing mages (two vamp heroes my last battle with the new VC). More often than not of late, I deploy them behind my skink screen, first turn moving them to either marchblock, or get into position to charge the above mentioned targets.

huitzilopochtli
29-05-2008, 23:51
i use mine for killing vampires, and corpse carts.

got rid of the nasty minus one that was plaguing my slann's magic and even managed to kill of a hero, despite the fact that they were charged.

in short, terradons = good (IMO)

Crazy Harborc
30-05-2008, 00:23
As mentioned already......the hit and run tactic of the terridons is a good one.
Terridon survival is a toughie. Often, keeping my terridons out of the sight of enemy shooters still keeps them lurking as a threat. One more little worry for my opponents to think about.:D

Feefait
30-05-2008, 14:13
Can terradons be screened? Say i deploy them turn one behind some krox... can I save them form being shot? My urge is to just charge them in turn 1 and get them in combat asap. But If i were to hold them back a turn and "only" move up 12 behind krox then they should be safe from getting shot and be able to charge almost anything next turn. Now, I don' believe they are skirmishers either, so they should be awesome at negating rank bonuses. I was amazed at how cheap three actually were. but need some experience with them. I see the potential, just wondered how often they fulfill that promise.

Malorian
30-05-2008, 14:18
All units of fliers are skirmishers, so they don't negate ranks.

Krox will block LOS from the enemy onto your terradons, but they will also block LOS when you try and declare a charge. I wouldn't even bother trying to screen them. Your opponent has better things to shoot than terradons.

Condottiere
30-05-2008, 15:55
All units of fliers are skirmishers, so they don't negate ranks.

Krox will block LOS from the enemy onto your terradons, but they will also block LOS when you try and declare a charge. I wouldn't even bother trying to screen them. Your opponent has better things to shoot than terradons.
Not necessarily - I believe in shooting fliers first.:evilgrin:

Malorian
30-05-2008, 15:58
I believe in shooting the salamanders first...

Condottiere
30-05-2008, 16:43
I believe in shooting the salamanders first...

They receive the loving attention of my crossbowmen in the second turn.;)

Kroxigore
31-05-2008, 23:11
I personally love to use them against warmachines, mages and sometimes fastcav also.
Screening:
If you want to use them against warmachines on hills and the enemy has shooting, which is not on a hill, you can easyly screen Teradons. This way, all units on the hill have LOS to you and you have LOS to them and no one else can shoot them.
Mages:
many people, that I have seen place their mages inside units as soon as they see salamanders on the board. This is perfect for Teradons. If you have 3-4 Teradons left in a unit, it should be possible to place them, so that two of them are btb with the mage, that way you have 6 attacks to (hopefully) kill the mage. If you have less Teradons, you usually have problems getting two of them into btb as you have to maximize enemy models in CC. When the mage is killed, you just 'hit and run' them out of combat.
Size:
I usually take 5. That way, the enemy has to shoot two before the panic test is due, you sometimes get flank/rear bonus and you can still lose some before their effectiveness decreases.

I hope, that helps.

Cheers,

Krox

SteelTitan
01-06-2008, 08:04
From what ive experienced it is a huge gamble to put them on a flank. Even though they are cold-blooded, you still can not rely on them rallying with Ld5. Quite a few times have they fled from a charge, only to fly off the board within 2 or 3 turn, having down nothing.

So from my experience, their role is not a far-out-on-the-flank-role

Brando
01-06-2008, 10:59
Also don't forget that 5 terradons can sit behind enemy units so if they flee from panic/a charge/being beaten in cc they will be crossfired and insta killed!

I think that terradons are great for the points and are generally better than most other fliers in the game! They have a boat load of S4 attacks and can chew through things like fast cav and skirmishers and are fantastic aganist enemy shooting units provided they don't draw too much fire (say on a flank). They're quick and extremely manueverable and the hit and run is fantastic. I would say that they might not be best unit, but they are darn cool and fun to use and your opponent SHOULD have lot's of problems facing them!