PDA

View Full Version : Convince me Not to start Greenskins

Ethlorien
29-05-2008, 21:18
So, I was over at my LGS store today and I was just kicking around looking at stuff. They were sold out of the new Daemon army book, but I was flipping through a few and got to the Orcs and Goblins army book.

Gotta say I thought it sounded really great. I liked the look and the idea of a great greenskin army. The only ones I have right now are those that came with the 6th ed. starter set.

Here's my problem: I have too many armies on the go as it is. Unfortunately, that has never stopped me before. Always, I convince myself to just pick up the army book to have a look, a little knowledge of them, right. Then it's a unit (just to get some use out of the book), then the next thing is I've got another half-completed army sitting on my shelves.

So, what's the downside to Orcs, why would/should I not bother collecting them (at least right now).

Thanks for discouraging me,

Angelwing
29-05-2008, 21:32
Lots and lots of models to assemble and paint. Thats the only real downside!

Gobbo Lord
29-05-2008, 21:35
You shouldnt start greenskins because the game will become a challenge not revolved around making super uber vampire demons. Your troops will be a shadow of the opposing forces similar units. Your heavy cavalry will not knock out units in one carnage filled turn and game winning manuveres will not happen due to your boys deciding to have a head-butting contest in the middle of the battle field.
What you will have however is a characterfull army with many varied units which is all about the feel of the army.
Why did you get into the game in the first place. Did you walk into the shop and say, wow id love to win this game, or wow id love to play this game in this awsome fantasy world. Most people get into it because of the setting, visual style and fluff but lose this because of the need to build powerfull characters and near unbeatable lists. The Orcs are awsome for leting go and having fun, true they are a weak army statistically, but ive stuck with them from 4th edition and i love them.

Anton
29-05-2008, 21:35
Heh, funny thread. Well, I heard they are quite a bit on the short end powerwise. I'm not sure if that matters to you. Also I don't have the knowledge to say if it's true or not.

Another thing is the background. They are shallow if you will. They don't have much lore at all, except that they fight amongst themselves and against other. The rule of the strong etc.

This is why I love goblins. They have more flavour than their large cousins. They show traits like ambition, greed, cowardice etc. The thing that determines who is the boss is nnot only strength, but also cunning and wits. They are also more keen on trading and such.

I wish that the Goblins were expanded on and described in more detail. Well, the Orcs to, but mainly the gobbos.

Wait, I'm not discouraging you now.. time to stop.

Good luck in your avoiding the greenskins. :)

Warhammerrox
29-05-2008, 21:47
Heretic Burner will be here shortly....

Orcboy_Phil
29-05-2008, 21:56
Anamosity. It seems like a really cool funny rule at first. Oh look there fighting amongst themselves and the wolf riders have just charged. Hehe.
Then after a few games you realise that your not playing a game, your rolling dice as no matter what plan you come up with and no matter weakness you've spotted in the enemys plan, the boyz will do the oppisite of what you wish them too. Only your giants and black orcs will follow the plan. And the giants are random in themselves. So really you've only got one reliable unit.

TheLionReturns
29-05-2008, 22:57
Great varied and fun army. What puts me off? Just too much green to paint. Too many models, too much green.

The Brusier
29-05-2008, 22:58
I reckon that unless it's detrimental to your health, love life, or relationships with family and/or friends, then you can't have enough armies. Oh, but you mush remember that ogres are bigger, stronger and DON'T have animosity! Plus, ogres hit harder and have bull charge (my most fav GW rule ever!)

fubukii
29-05-2008, 23:16
i think orcs are a pretty fun and somewhat competitive army. They have alot of variety and various tactics you can use to play. yes every once in a while you will roll that 1 and be unable to get that flank charge but just as likely you will get that 6 making you able to get a charge you werent able to before. It has its ups and downs just have to make the best of them

Plus the color green absolutely pwns :)

Heretic Burner
30-05-2008, 00:00
The enormous play problems with the dreadful O&G can be found everywhereon these boards so there is very little reason to go into them. However that isn't the primary reason not to collect the army.

Quite frankly it doesn't look like you actually enjoy the modelling/painting aspect of the hobby. These appear to be a chore for you, hence your countless unpainted models, rather than enjoyment. You certainly at one point or another enjoyed your other armies and its unlikely that whatever attracted you to those armies hasn't simply gone away. However purchasing a number of unpainted O&G is going to do nothing for you that hasn't been fulfilled by your other armies.

Best advice? If you really want to subject yourself to the terrible playstyle that is 7th edition O&G go ahead and borrow someone's book for awhile. Better yet, get your hand on a 6th edition book. None of which actually requires O&G models to play, proxy to your hearts content. After all, one unpainted ugly model is simply not going to look much different from another ugly unpainted model while playing. Hey, you can even use bases alone marked with a helpful sign to indicate what unit is which. Cheaper. Just as fun for players like you and certainly a lot easier on the bank account.

zid
30-05-2008, 00:15
Don't start an army due to a spur of the moment thought.
Every army in the game has its moment when it can hook you.
Spend time finishing your other projects.
Let time pass, and if the O&G bug stays with you after yet another army has caught your eye... then you should consider it at that point.

sulla
30-05-2008, 01:21
So, what's the downside to Orcs, why would/should I not bother collecting them (at least right now).

Thanks for discouraging me,

Here's the thing... paint all of those models from the starter set (they will all be useful in a future army anyway).

If you can still stand painting greenskins after paint those 100 or so models, collect the army. If not, sell them to fund your next impulse buy.

The only thing stopping me taking up O&G is how long it took to paint my 40K Orks...

Ethlorien
30-05-2008, 01:27
Quite frankly it doesn't look like you actually enjoy the modelling/painting aspect of the hobby. These appear to be a chore for you, hence your countless unpainted models, rather than enjoyment. You certainly at one point or another enjoyed your other armies and its unlikely that whatever attracted you to those armies hasn't simply gone away. However purchasing a number of unpainted O&G is going to do nothing for you that hasn't been fulfilled by your other armies.

Ouch, I thought I enjoyed painting . . . :eyebrows:

It's more a time factor then unwillingness to paint, to be honest. But, I must admit, the prospect of painting so much green does seem a little daunting. I think my biggest problem is that I like too many armies. One week I'm painting High Elves, the next Ogres, the following its Chaos, then down to Dark Elves, etc...

As to enjoyment - oh, I like every army I've collected thus far, to be sure. Maybe I'm just greedy in wanting so many.

But, in the end, you do have a point; I often tell myself (and my wife voices this too) that I should finish painting some of my armies before going on to another. But then I just come home and somehow a new unit of soldiers has slipped into my pocket.:D

@everyone else: some very good points - I am very spur-of-the-moment when it coms to my purchases, yes. Also a very good point made by sulla: painting all my current orcs (why didn't I think of that?).

Thanks for all the advice so far, folks.

Dranthar
30-05-2008, 04:11
Heretic Burner will be here shortly....

You read my mind. :D

That said, for probably the first time in the history of ever I actually agree with heretic burner...or at least his 2nd paragraph...in a sense...

If you've got the urge to start an O&G army buy the book and paint the O&G models you allready have. Play a few games with proxied models and if you like them then expand what you've just painted, but only in small chunks, so you at least don't end up with a huge unpainted mass of plastic.

Braad
30-05-2008, 07:11
There is just one solution here!

Stuff away your other armies in boxes, put them in a big vault with a time lock, turn the time lock to open again somewhere two years from now, run to your local shop and buy every orc they have!

Just give in to the green!
Resistance, is futile!

Rubicon
30-05-2008, 10:07
Still can't bring myself to start O&G despite having won an army of them, and i'm a perpetual horder of new armies...

SPYDER68
30-05-2008, 14:22
Paint and finish your other armies before you start a new one :P

The SkaerKrow
30-05-2008, 19:35
I can't convince you not to play Orcs and Goblins. That would be a crime against a fellow gamer, a travesty. I would be violating you to some degree by keeping you out of the pure awesomeness that is the Waaaagh.

DeathlessDraich
30-05-2008, 20:12
O&G - One of the 2 difficult armies in terms of employing the right tactics.
I've noticed only very good O&G players do well in tournaments.

My record with O&G - about 75% drawn or lost.

Another reason not to have them - Orcs have to be carefully glued to make sure they rank up well.

Ethlorien
30-05-2008, 20:15
I would be violating you to some degree by keeping you out of the pure awesomeness that is the Waaaagh.

DAMN YOU!!! Now I have to play them, that line was so awesome! You completely ruined the whole point of this thread.

I hope you're happy with yourself, SkaerKrow.

zid
30-05-2008, 21:49
DAMN YOU!!! Now I have to play them, that line was so awesome!

I hope the Chaos gods don't notice how you are so easily seduced.