PDA

View Full Version : What is the best tourney army??

Da Black Gobbo
29-05-2008, 23:49
Hi there! is just as simple as it sounds, i've seen lots of armies that pretend to be the winer, best, OTT but i really want to see the nasties lists that your minds can work for a tourney, i don't care the race, just put your uber beardy/cheese army in here...

Thanks!

DullMentalRacket
30-05-2008, 01:01
Night goblins

minionboy
30-05-2008, 01:03
Night goblins

This man speaks the truth.

sulla
30-05-2008, 02:17
:evilgrin::rolleyes:

VC are a pretty safe bet for you as a solid build. Immune to psych, you can bring the dead back, they are all passable fighters and they are very magic heavy so that automatically means they have fairly good magic defense too...

Finnigan2004
30-05-2008, 02:28
I'd have to go vampire counts currently, based on available evidenct. Brettonians can throw out some ugly lists too though.

Condottiere
30-05-2008, 05:51
Dark Elves when the new book comes out.

Armilthuan
30-05-2008, 08:09
It's Rock, Paper and Sciccors man...

If there is a good tournament army, you can be sure that there is another one which can easily take it out.

Lost_In_Lustria
30-05-2008, 08:19
Mannfred Von Carstein and lots of zombies

winkypinky
30-05-2008, 13:41
No joke Night Goblins.

They have always been famous for having the most twisted and overpowered lists when they come into the hands of corrupted but brilliant minds.
You can make a list that can out horde, out shoot and out magic a skaven cheese list... And still have 2 giants (And 12-15 fanatics). That is pretty powerfull.

Malorian
30-05-2008, 14:21
No joke Night Goblins.

They have always been famous for having the most twisted and overpowered lists when they come into the hands of corrupted but brilliant minds.
You can make a list that can out horde, out shoot and out magic a skaven cheese list... And still have 2 giants (And 12-15 fanatics). That is pretty powerfull.

I think it's important to note that we aren't talking about an all night goblin army here. We're talking about a mainly night goblin army w/ goblin warmachines, and a regular goblin/blackorc warboss.

Pure night goblins are a 1 trick pony.

vesp
30-05-2008, 14:42
Simple answer to the thread title: there isn't one.

Gaftra
30-05-2008, 14:54
if you look at the gt winners theres usually empire bret and WE making up the top listings, occasionally night goblins will creep up there. the old daemon legions were pretty unbeatable as well since there were some ridiculous lists coming from SOC

Storak
30-05-2008, 14:57
No joke Night Goblins.

jupp, night goblin list currently completely dominate tournament play, no other army can compete.

please guys, STOP eating those mushrooms!!!

those 12 fanatics will do a great total of 7 wounds on a steamtank, IF all of them manage to hit him.

the night goblins will NOT outshoot or out magic other lists.

Max zero
30-05-2008, 16:21
Generally its considered:

VC, Demonic Legions, Wood Elves.

<Gap>

Everyone else.

Condottiere
30-05-2008, 16:55
Generally its considered:

VC, Demonic Legions, Wood Elves.

<Gap>

Everyone else.

Why do they hate us?:cries:

They treat us like dogs.:mad:

Sentients for the ethical treatment of mercenaries

Lord Malorne
30-05-2008, 17:00
I always heard it was skaven, I found the WD article about a tourney funny as out of 5 games against 14 possible armies (or there abouts ;)) 3 of the games were vs skaven :D.

Malorian
30-05-2008, 17:00
Brets don't actually do that well and most of them are on the bottom half.

Woodelves and empire seem to be the biggest winners.

Now with the new armies I would expect the top armies will be VC, woodelves, and empire.

I don't think the new deamons will do all that well... but I could easily be wrong : )

Da Black Gobbo
30-05-2008, 17:04
Hmmm so Daemons, Empire, WE, Brets, Night goblins, Skaven, anybody want to make a ranking ? what is the strongest of them and the like, is just curiosity.

Malorian
30-05-2008, 17:15
Acutally tombkings do very good as well.

This was in another thread, but one of the things that was talked about is the facts that effect these tournament stats when you see the summary of how teams did over the year.

Things like people that play DOW for the models, people that play orks for the fun, and the armies most liked by new players.

Gaftra
30-05-2008, 17:48
TK really? where did you get that? im not disagreeing, i just havent seen it. also dont lizardmen usually place high? and i think skaven have dropped a bit in 7th

Condottiere
30-05-2008, 17:54
I find that the new army books do well for about a month after they come out, then everyone figures out how to cope with them.

Malorian
30-05-2008, 18:00
TK really? where did you get that? im not disagreeing, i just havent seen it. also dont lizardmen usually place high? and i think skaven have dropped a bit in 7th

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126562

minionboy
30-05-2008, 18:32
Hmmm so Daemons, Empire, WE, Brets, Night goblins, Skaven, anybody want to make a ranking ? what is the strongest of them and the like, is just curiosity.

Daemons are based purely on speculation at this point, I wouldn't consider them. Brets were king, but the new round of army books have been putting them down quite a bit.

http://battlereporter.blogspot.com/search/label/Warhammer%20Stats is a good resource to look at. I have a personal friend who plays TK and has been undefeated in every local tournament and does extremely well in the GT circuit (that TK on the list is probably in reference to him).

As for ranking, I'd say Empire > WE > Night Goblins, take Skaven/bret/daemons off that list.

superduperkoopatrooper
30-05-2008, 19:40
I think it's currently looking like vampires are the top dog at the moment but I'm a firm believer in daemons knocking them off their pedestal.

Flesh hounds, flamers, skulltaker and kairos backed up by tzeentch heralds in horrors are all incredibly solid choices with few weaknesses. That said, daemons don't seemed to have created quite the stir that vampires did so maybe I'm wrong.

This will all change when I take my Empire to the GT of course ;)

wolfenstein
30-05-2008, 21:28
brets and wood elves don't lie to your self, just check all the records.

W0lf
30-05-2008, 21:40
Flesh hounds, flamers, skulltaker and kairos backed up by tzeentch heralds in horrors are all incredibly solid choices with few weaknesses. That said, daemons don't seemed to have created quite the stir that vampires did so maybe I'm wrong.

the reason its not mentioned is that to get all that stuff in god amounts you are bordering 3K.

minionboy
30-05-2008, 21:41
brets and wood elves don't lie to your self, just check all the records.

Brets, Tomb Kings and Wood Elves are the highest AVERAGE scores (ie how many battles won, drawn and lost). Not the most tournament winnings. The last GT was won by High Elves.

Overall the best performance was by TK > Bret > Lizardmen > Wood Elves in the last GT (combining Tournament points and VP's).

VC may be a good choice with the new list, but I still have no faith in Daemons.

W0lf
30-05-2008, 21:44
Daemons will NOT hold out to imfamous lists such as karl franz/war alter and 2 Stanks, Thorek Gunline, Wood elf Vp denial, dual treemen, Skaven SAD.....

The only lists i think daemons are very strong against are vampires and Bretts. Even then a good vamp/brett player will be able to overcome the weakness.

Conotor
30-05-2008, 23:32
Id say mass night gobboes, units of 25-30, with nets and 3 fanatics each. Orc lord for the general and a nice BSB. 4+ bolters...

Second would be VC with lots of spirit hosts...

Condottiere
31-05-2008, 06:22
So the choices come down to sentient wave attacks, massed artillery and spearpoint.

anonmousperson
01-06-2008, 00:32
2000pts then take skaven take a screaming bell... i always get plague, first turn 3/4 of them armies wiped out if you play your cards right :D

Da Black Gobbo
01-06-2008, 15:28
I'd like to play against a SAD with my wood elves, sure.

Evil-Lite
01-06-2008, 20:31
The best army all depends on the match-ups at the tournament (and dice rolls of course).