PDA

View Full Version : How do orks get promoted to 'ranks' like nob?

omera
30-05-2008, 00:29
Does the warboss tell them they're a mob, or do the orks generally obey the nobs after seeing what they did in a fight which made them become nobs?

nurgle_boy
30-05-2008, 00:32
they band together with like minded individuals, and hit stuff to get a promotion...

You hit more, you get bigger, you become a nob.
easy as!

Hicks
30-05-2008, 00:34
Orks grow as they gain rank, so I guess that when a bunch of orks band together, the strongest of them all becomes the nob and he gets bigger than he already is. When nods band together the same thing happens, repeat the process until you get to top.

So basically, nobody tells nobs that they became a nod, the nobs tells weaker orks that he is the boss.

Condottiere
30-05-2008, 00:36
Maybe once an Ork grows to a certain size and holds his own in the pecking order, it becomes a fait accompli, Ork society being based on meritocracy.

Grimbad
30-05-2008, 00:43
Does the warboss tell them they're a mob?

Only in weedy blood axe warbands.

An ork mob is a bunch of orks who fight together, less of an organized military unit (except, again, in the case of blood axes) and more of a... mob of orks who are similarly armed and get along okay, or are beaten until they do so. Their leader will be the best fighter among them, or the nob. The ork who is nob will not always be larger than the others when he becomes nob, but will grow to be larger if he survives a little while. If another ork wants to be nob, he will either think about it a lot, which will make him put on muscle until he's strong enough to challenge the nob for his status, or simply shoot the nob in the back when he's not looking.

Decius
30-05-2008, 01:36
An ork becomes a nob when he says he's a nob and no one disagrees.

My guess is that nobs and mobs just sorta happen. 30 orks get together, 5 of them claim to be the nob, fight ensues, the winner leads the remaining 22 orks into battle. I also recall something about orks looking at size to determine rank. In fact, the orks make fun of humans because they are all the same size, so how can they tell who is in charge?

omera
30-05-2008, 01:47
Alright thanks all! I've got my Warhammer 40,000: WAAAGH! freeform ork RP (it's going to be persistent) set up just about, if you want to check it out.

LexxBomb
30-05-2008, 02:08
given that orks are somewhat plants and not animals (physiology wise) maybe the constant bashing and tearing of their bodies stimulates the growth just like if you prune a plant in the right circumstances it grows bigger and better. evidence of this is Ghazgul Thrakka himself... his head was basicly detonated and after being patched up he miraclulsly grew bigger and better.

Lockjaw
30-05-2008, 04:02
orks are not plants, they are animals with a symboisis with fungus

Condottiere
30-05-2008, 04:27
I thought they were fungus.

da big mek
30-05-2008, 04:40
orks get promoted by beating the tar out of the current nob then sayin hes the new nob
the beating the tar out off anyone who disagrees

Famder
30-05-2008, 07:44
Warboss is a rank, nob is a size category.

Nobz lead ork mobz because they are bigger, not because they have earned it. The reason why there is only one nob per mob is because normally they would band together as a mob of nobz, but the Warboss tellz them to go show the other boyz how itz done. Nobz don't fight to be in charge of mobz, only to become warbosses.

Koryphaus
30-05-2008, 09:12
An ork becomes a nob when he says he's a nob and no one disagrees.

My guess is that nobs and mobs just sorta happen. 30 orks get together, 5 of them claim to be the nob, fight ensues, the winner leads the remaining 22 orks into battle. I also recall something about orks looking at size to determine rank. In fact, the orks make fun of humans because they are all the same size, so how can they tell who is in charge?

Huh? 30 Orks, 5 want to Nobz, so they fight and in the fight 7 orks die?

How does that work?

Unless its ork counting, in which case it makes perfect sense ;).

bosstroll
30-05-2008, 09:58
Huh? 30 Orks, 5 want to Nobz, so they fight and in the fight 7 orks die?

How does that work?

Unless its ork counting, in which case it makes perfect sense ;).

Orks arent terribly bothered about collatoral damage, i can easily imagine some spectators buying the farm when 2 wannabee nobs duke it out :)

LexxBomb
30-05-2008, 11:33
orks are not plants, they are animals with a symboisis with fungus

the FACT that they are 'born' from spores means they are a vegetation by DEFINITION. science fact there is no such thing as an animal that reproduces by leaving spores. so they are either a:
fern
mushroom
yeast
or mould.

Gimp
30-05-2008, 11:42
the FACT that they are 'born' from spores means they are a vegetation by DEFINITION. science fact there is no such thing as an animal that reproduces by leaving spores. so they are either a:
fern
mushroom
yeast
or mould.

Oh man I love your thinking.

Ig Captain: Sir, it looks like we have a bad yeast infection here.
IG Commander: Well dont just stand there bring out the flamers.

Whitehorn
30-05-2008, 11:44
I also recall something about orks looking at size to determine rank. In fact, the orks make fun of humans because they are all the same size, so how can they tell who is in charge?

*points at rather tall Primarch*

fern
mushroom
yeast
or mould.

I wonder if you could brew ork beer...they afterall, yeast.

'S*** alcohol and die, green scum!'

LexxBomb
30-05-2008, 11:49

I wonder if you could brew ork beer...they afterall, yeast.

'S*** alcohol and die, green scum!'

what do you think bugmans xxxxxx was made from:D

Sai-Lauren
30-05-2008, 11:52
fern
mushroom
yeast
or mould.
Or a really stupid idea promoted by someone who didn't want to have to start sculpting female orks? :p

omera
30-05-2008, 11:52
Another question... How tall do stronger orks tend to get? The codex says they're the same size of a man, but doesn't say how tall they can get as they grow.

Whitehorn
30-05-2008, 12:04
They're as tall, but they stand stooped. If you stretched them out, they'd be taller.

Nobs look 7-8 foot. Warboss probably packing up to 10ft or more.

If you check out the DOW2 trailer, the Nob in Mega armour is quite the giant.

LexxBomb
30-05-2008, 12:09
either that or its the marine (Angelus) is short (maybe a sqaut)

Decius
30-05-2008, 14:40

If there were any primarchs left for you to point at, then I would concede the point. :p

the FACT that they are 'born' from spores means they are a vegetation by DEFINITION. science fact there is no such thing as an animal that reproduces by leaving spores.

Of course there is no such thing as an animal that reproduces by leaving spores, because there is no such thing as an ork. They aren't real. If a biologist found an ork today then they may have to reorganize the system of boilogical taxonomy to fit this bizzare creature in it. In fact, because of dealing with non-Terran evolved creatures, the 40k version of biological taxonomy would be ridiculously complex, (more so than now). :p

LexxBomb
30-05-2008, 14:53
whats next you will say necrons are silicate based life forms.

bertcom1
30-05-2008, 16:28
The biggest Ork leads the group. Might makes Right.

Should the biggest one die, the next biggest takes over, or alternatively, a bigger Ork from a different group (not big enough to challenge his own boss) will bust some heads and take over the group.

This sort of thing is mentioned in the Gorkamorka books if you can find them

Vaulkhar
30-05-2008, 18:56
Sai-Lauren, there were female Orc cheerleaders in Blood Bowl. Believe me when I say that the fungus option is preferable.

From a xenobiology viewpoint, it's a feedback loop. The more violent the ork, the bigger he gets (so long as he wins). The bigger the orc, the more powerful and violent he gets. This carries on until he gets into a scrap with something meaner than him (or a nearby Orkeosaur gets peckish) at which point he dies.

omera
30-05-2008, 19:27
I recall reading on some forum or site that orks only die when decapitated otherwise they get back up after a few hours, and even than the bodies should be destroyed to prevent the spores from spreading after death.

Lockjaw
30-05-2008, 19:28
I thought they were fungus.

nope, GW fluff never said orks WERE fungus, it's said they have a symbioctic relationship with algea, and their DNA has both animal and ageal qualities to it.
otherwise orks eat, drink, have blood, internal organs, bones, etc. a fungus doesn't have any of those

The_Outsider
30-05-2008, 21:12
Ork 1: "I'm da biggest so i'm da nob."
Ork 2: "No, I'M da biggest, who d yer 'tink you are?"
Ork 1: "Oh yeah? Eat dis!"
*Ork 1 whacks ork 2 around the head until he stops moving*
Ork 1: "I told ya im da biggest!"

Then....

Nob 1 : "I'm da biggest, so iz da boss"
Warboss: "Yer tink ya can beat me!?"
*Nob 1 tries to whack warboss to take his place*
*Warboss kicks Nob 1's head in*

Warboss: "Now get in line yer snovelling grot"

Repeat until every ork knows their place.

HOWEVER, a sure sign an ork thinks he will challenge the next in line is he will rapidly put on body weight, a sure sign is them being much hungrier than usual (so a clever nob would beat the ork down before he managed to builk up enough to actually challenge him).

Condottiere
31-05-2008, 05:57
Could orks have glands that produce abnormal amounts of steroids and testerone under certain environmental conditions? As regards Ork females, Klingons are pretty much as far as you can go, and still find attractive (barely).

LexxBomb
31-05-2008, 06:15
nope, GW fluff never said orks WERE fungus, it's said they have a symbioctic relationship with algea, and their DNA has both animal and ageal qualities to it.
otherwise orks eat, drink, have blood, internal organs, bones, etc. a fungus doesn't have any of those

actually they do. they have all three. plus the also eat and drink. organs included in fungai include internal organels in side cells and fungai have a structure thus they have a skeletal system by way of intravenisus veins that supply water and nutrients.

Condottiere
31-05-2008, 06:32
actually they do. they have all three. plus the also eat and drink. organs included in fungai include internal organels in side cells and fungai have a structure thus they have a skeletal system by way of intravenisus veins that supply water and nutrients.

I haven't played 40K in donkey's years, IIRC Orks have such a complex DNA structure where instinctive behaviour and knowledge was coded in, to ensure self-reliancy (possibly natural selection discarded the less violent ones), plus physical robustness.

Remind me again - who and what are the Brainboyz?:eyebrows:

LexxBomb
31-05-2008, 06:49
snotlings who ate a now extinct fungus. when the fungis was around the snotlins (brainboyz) ran ork society. luckily before the orks rose up they had imbedded in the DNA of the orks all that was needed when they were gone.

Klomster
31-05-2008, 08:47
Meet Grokk. He's an ordinary ork.
-Wat'z yer doin yer snivelin git!!! Grokk is not pleased when i put him on a stage.

He is born in the wild, rising from their cool dark birthplace and immidiately tries too find:
Other orks.
A squig (gotta eat)
Some good stompy/choppy instrument.

When that is done, he will join an ork warband. And he will join one of the ork mobs, (if he isn't shot or otherwise "suffers an accident")

The nob is boss, becouse he is bigger, ork psyche tells orks too respect and follow bigger greener orks.
-Da nob is boss, at leezt until i get stompy enouff!

As Grokk fights, he will get bigger, and stronger.

When he isn't a small yoof anymore, he might join a specific clan, and a specific ork class, like Deathskull Lootas, or Blood axe storm boyz.
Or just be a goff and go bashing stuff.

He might as well have genetic codes telling him to be a mek or dok!

Let's have Grokk be a goff!
-Yeah, no unz bigga than us!

He will grow bigger and more ferocious faster as goffs fight more than other orks.

Eventually, Grokk makes it to skarboy status. The biggest orks in the mobs, and wants too be nob himself.

There are many ways too become a nob, but you have to be big.
-An mean!

Yes of course.

Orks can become nobs trough:
Opertunities, the nob is killed in battle.
"Opertunities", the nob suffers an "accident"
Fight, The wannabe nob chalanges the nob, the winner becomes the nob!

Grokk will fight as goffs don't regularly use cunnning plans.
-Datz for weedy blood axes!

He will grow muscles even quicker becouse of the strong psyche of orks can directly influense different thing around them.
Like ork weapons mostly only works when wielded by orks, and if an ork wan'ts to challange a superior he will grow more muscles.

Lets say that the current nob don't see Grokk laying on some extra muscles.
-Oy, ya snivelin' grot ****, come show me yuor so tuff as you fink! Grokk suggests.
-Yeah? You aint got squigmeat against me! The nob gently replies.

And so, they fight, sometimes to the death.
Other ways of showing your the biggest involve squigeater contests.

They are relatively simple, take a facebiter squig, notoriously angry and ferocious (for squigs that are notoriously angry and ferocious) and sit down at a table.

The rules are simple.
Hold the facebiter in front of your face.
and.
Eat the squig before it eats you.
A really big mouth is helpful here so yoofs shouldn't really try this.

Lets say Grokk bashes the crap out of the nob.
Now Grokk is nob!
-Yeah, i'z da biggest an meanest! Cept for warboss!

Now Grokk will fight harder and prove that he can even become warboss.

It is the same procedure but much bigger, and meaner!

Hope Grokk has tought you some interesting facts about ork society, see you next time!
-Yeah, you snivelin umies, you aint nothin to any good ork, hur hur hur!

LokkoRex
31-05-2008, 08:57
for an ork too become a nob he just needs to beat/kill current nob/other contestants, either hack them reapetedly with choppa or shoot them reapetedly with your biggest noisiest gun around(or just walk up to unsuspecting nob/contestant, put slugga in nob/contestants mouth and pull trigger)

Condottiere
31-05-2008, 09:28
Meet Grokk. He's an ordinary ork.
-Wat'z yer doin yer snivelin git!!! Grokk is not pleased when i put him on a stage.

That sounds about right.

However, to avoid complete chaos and a dysfunctional society, there is probably some Orky protocol involved in the power transfer, that everyone in the band will accept as a legitimate method of getting that position.

Otherwise, the lowliest Ork (or even Goblin) can just obtain for himself (covertly) the most modern arms and protection system, and just shoot down all other contenders.

Klomster
31-05-2008, 10:30
I brought that up.

Inbred into the ork brain, smaller orks find bigger orks to be a source of respect and fear.

They are programmed too follow bigger orks simply, until they get big enough themselves that is.

Vaulkhar
31-05-2008, 12:16
Condotteri, I believe that particular Orky protocol is called "Last Ork Standing"...

Lord-Caerolion
31-05-2008, 12:39
Well, for an ork to covertly gain better weaponry, that still leaves two issues.
1) An ork starts putting on muscle mass when they think they can take on the Boss, whatever rank that Boss is. So alls the Nob has to do is bash any of his ladz that starts getting bigger. If he doesn't manage to do that, well, he just wasn't cunnin' enough.
2) Since when were orks known to be covert? In a kommando squad, maybe. Blood Axes? Vaguely possible. But your average ork? He'd probably end up asking the Nob he's going to shoot if he can borrow his big shoota for a bit. And when a Nob sees one of his boyz getting bigger, and asking for a bigger gun, he should have a clue whats going on.
Plus, showing his toughness by shooting the Nob would probably just get him bashed by the next Goff Boss that comes along!

Damien 1427
31-05-2008, 13:04
Another question... How tall do stronger orks tend to get?

How long is a piece of string? Orks don't really have an "upper limit". There are Imperial reports from Armageddon of Boyz from the now-native Ork warbands being the size and strength of Nobz in other warzones. Which implies the Nobz are like gangs of warbosses, and the bosses... well. I have a picture in my mind of on wearing a couple of scrapped dreadnoughts as body armour.

FeetOfClay
31-05-2008, 13:12
I remember reading somewhere that Ad. Mech. probes to other galaxies have found almost nothing but orks, and some of those orks being the size of titans!

Lothlanathorian
31-05-2008, 13:24
I remember reading somewhere that Ad. Mech. probes to other galaxies have found almost nothing but orks, and some of those orks being the size of titans!

Could someone find a source for this crazy-sounded-ness?

ThorOdensson
31-05-2008, 14:45

Isn't that talking 2 separate sources mixing them up and exaggerating

It was ad mech probes searching the far reaches of the galaxy sending back ork signals that they were picking up.

And reports of Orkoids the size of titans in the battles between the the Orks and Hive Fleet Leviathan.