PDA

View Full Version : A thought on Tyrion's sword.

Handmaiden
30-05-2008, 07:38
Shouldnt his blade Sunfang, be extra lethal against the vampire counts because vampires get alot of strengths - but their fatal weakness has always been the Sun's light and energy. :confused:

The Brusier
30-05-2008, 08:04
well, it gives you +3 strength and flaming attacks, and a flaming breath special attack. I think rules wise, maybe Vampires should be flammable but otherwise the swords already very strong. Fluff wise your probs right.

Rubicon
30-05-2008, 09:43
It brings up a good point about GW's Vampires though. All the traditional weaknesses of vampires (wooden steaks, garlic, sunlight etc.) haven't got a place in the rules and since the vampire bloodlines have been removed in favor of the Von Carstein Family picnic, none of the traditional vampire imagery either (Bat form, wolf form etc.) Vampires, for GW, are just massivly hard humans, much like Chaos Warrior characters.

Ixquic
30-05-2008, 12:23
Vampires still have tons of weaknesses like holy icons, sunlight, garlic, silver, etc although stakes apparently aren't any more effective than a regular weapon would be. The problem is in an army based game, Games Workshop has decided it becomes too complicated to factor in these sort of minutia. Undead used to be immune to stuff like poison and such but that got simplified as well (I guess jungle swarms are using holy water).

Now that even Demons don't care about magic with their 5+ ward save we're probably going to see less and less story based weaknesses and strengths in favor of streamlining everything which is sad.

EvC
30-05-2008, 12:32
Sunfang stops Varghulfs rengerating. It also stops Vampires (and other undead) with the power of the Drakenhof Banner rengerating, and wounds on a 2+ against them. It's safe to say that it is fittingly scary for Vampires, I think. Although powerful Vampires usually do not fear the sun too greatly.

Ward.
30-05-2008, 12:43
Shouldn't his blade Sunfang, be extra lethal against the vampire counts because vampires get a lot of strengths - but their fatal weakness has always been the Sun's light and energy. :confused:

See the thing is, there's a huge difference between a ball of burning gas bigger then the warhammer fantasy planet and a small piece of metal that some elf hits things with :p

Braad
30-05-2008, 12:47
I just finished the Discworld novel Carpe Jugulum, and in there MODERN vampires do not have any troubles with garlic, stakes and sunlight. Okay, it took them some time to get used to that stuff, but that's shouldn't be a problem for someone who doesn't have to deal with aging.

winkypinky
30-05-2008, 13:02
Well Tyrion's sword "was" (5th ed.) A Deamon slaying sword. (did d6 wounds against deamons)

theunwantedbeing
30-05-2008, 13:14
I thought tyrion's weapon was more to fight daemon's...not vampires.
Vampire's arent flammable anyway, that's Tomb Kings.

In the Carstein trilogy we see plenty of vampire's wandering around in daylight, they take a bit of getting used to doing that and they aren't overly keen on it but they will if they want to. Simialrly stakes and holy icon's dont really have much power over them....although incredibly holy area's do.

Sunfang isnt really any of those things, it's just a powerful burning blade.
I always thought that tyrion and teclis should swap swords personally.

Gorbad Ironclaw
30-05-2008, 13:42
Warhammer vampires have never really had a problem with sunlight as far as I remember. Another thing is that vampires in Warhammer is very individual. What might hurt one vampire could have absolutely no effect on a different vampire.

So I'm sure some vampires are sensitive to sunlight, but that might be nothing more than being itchy or it could go all the way up to catching on fire and dying.

Tomb Kings are flammable, but not because of some mythical weakness, but because when you are a mummified corpse open fire really isn't a good thing.

Lijacote
30-05-2008, 13:49
If a vampire believes Tyrion's sword most capable of harming him, it will be. Same for the solar radiation (though they SUMMON CLOUDS). If you want a narrative game with a special weakness like that, do so. Make a special character or make up some special rule to apply to all vampires. It has no place in a tournament or the rulesbook (in my opinion, please don't throw your anger at me).

Ward.
30-05-2008, 14:18
Warhammer vampires have never really had a problem with sunlight as far as I remember. Another thing is that vampires in Warhammer is very individual. What might hurt one vampire could have absolutely no effect on a different vampire.

So I'm sure some vampires are sensitive to sunlight, but that might be nothing more than being itchy or it could go all the way up to catching on fire and dying.

Tomb Kings are flammable, but not because of some mythical weakness, but because when you are a mummified corpse open fire really isn't a good thing.

If memory serves me nagash did his magic and made the vampires vulnerable to sunlight after the betrayed/ failed him and the 6th edition book mentions sunlight being the bane of the undead armies.

Handmaiden
30-05-2008, 14:57
See the thing is, there's a huge difference between a ball of burning gas bigger then the warhammer fantasy planet and a small piece of metal that some elf hits things with

Thing is, that huge ball is many light years away, and so the people on the planet would be only getting a tiny tiny fraction of the Sun's energy at any time, So sunlight from a big star many light years away wont necessarily be any more than the solar energy released from Tyrions sword much closer up.

Doctor Know
30-05-2008, 17:21
Thing is, that huge ball is many light years away, and so the people on the planet would be only getting a tiny tiny fraction of the Sun's energy at any time, So sunlight from a big star many light years away wont necessarily be any more than the solar energy released from Tyrions sword much closer up.

First, "many light years away"? Earth is about 500 light seconds from the sun, while the farthest planet (Neptune) is a bit over 250 light minutes out.

Second, I think you may be putting to much stock in the name. I mean, Glamdring, the Foe-hammer isn't actually a hammer. The Sunfang is, similarly, just a powerful, blazing sword, not actually a piece of dentin pulled from the solar orb.

It is a dang cool name though.

Malorian
30-05-2008, 17:37
Tell ya what OP, from now on when I face Tyrion with my vampires, I'll make my vampires flinch from the bright light. That of course being represented by my vampire moving to the ghoul bunker and blocking the light with a horde of zombies :evilgrin:

anerion
30-05-2008, 18:20
if anyones read any of the stuff about how the people at GW got to where they are with their vampires, is that they didn't want a direct reflection of what vampires are in other circles (vampire films/books/common myth/general ideas). i think you'll find such a suggestion in the WD before their release, or the one of their release. so things like 'sunlight', 'garlic' etc that we see as a common way of taking out vampires as we see them wasn't what they were after, instead a new 'unique' vampire. (that might more apply to the latest take, rather than all takes.)

Ethlorien
30-05-2008, 18:24
I always thought that tyrion and teclis should swap swords personally.

Hmm, I never considered that, myself. But it's a pretty darn good idea!

SuperBeast
30-05-2008, 23:23
It brings up a good point about GW's Vampires though. All the traditional weaknesses of vampires (wooden steaks, garlic, sunlight etc.) haven't got a place in the rules and since the vampire bloodlines have been removed in favor of the Von Carstein Family picnic, none of the traditional vampire imagery either (Bat form, wolf form etc.) Vampires, for GW, are just massivly hard humans, much like Chaos Warrior characters.
Erm... flying bloodline power, and talisman of the Lycni (lycanthrope, anyone?).
besides, it was always the VonC's who dabbled in differing forms. The Strigoi were more undead animal than undead human anyway.
Besides, that kinda stuff is contained in the rules anyway. A killingblow could be a timely application of stake, a poisoned attack could be liberal application of garlic...

But to the main point. Bloodlines have not been removed. Geeeez.

In the Carstein trilogy we see plenty of vampire's wandering around in daylight, they take a bit of getting used to doing that and they aren't overly keen on it but they will if they want to. Simialrly stakes and holy icon's dont really have much power over them....although incredibly holy area's do.
The bit that 'sealed' it for me was the vampire being taught how to daywalk.
Sunlight does hurt vampires, and it weakens them too. However, the weakness appears to be the fact that they consciously have to will their bodies not to be affected, which I like; it also follows how an older vampire can walk in the sun without too much hassle, but a much younger generation vampire will go flambe.

isidril93
31-05-2008, 20:12
gams workshop vampires arent like normal vampire...sure they suck blood but not much else

what i dont get is how teclis has a MUCH better sword than tyrion

Condottiere
31-05-2008, 20:22
gams workshop vampires arent like normal vampire...sure they suck blood but not much else

Considering that Teclis is WS3, that might be his only chance of inflicting some damage before dying.

Rioghan Murchadha
31-05-2008, 22:19

Coz IIRC he made it for himself. Maybe if Tyrion would've paid attention in school instead of playing touch football, and hitting on the handmaidens of the Everqueen, he'd have been able to make himself a cool sword too.

Ward.
01-06-2008, 03:19
Considering that Teclis is WS3, that might be his only chance of inflicting some damage before dying.

You mean besides the irresistable force-ing of pit of shades ;)

Handmaiden
01-06-2008, 11:12
Psst

Its because..

[Tyrion is not as big a Gary Stu as Teclis]

omg spoliers. :skull: