PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Point Night Goblin Army

TheRupert
30-05-2008, 08:26
Here's what I've put together for my Night Goblin Army. Please let me know what you think...

Characters:

Skarsnik & Gobbla
- General

Night Goblin Big Boss
- Battle Standard
- Light Armour
- Grott's Big Red Raggedy Banner

Night Goblin Shaman
- Level 2
- Staff of Sneaky Stealin

Night Goblin Shaman
- Level 2
- Dispel Scroll
- Nibbla's Itty Ring

Core:

26 Night Goblins (6 x 5 Block)
- Skarsnik & Gobbla
- Full Command
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Nets
- 2 Fanatics

28 Night Goblins (6 x 6 Block)
- Shaman
- Battle Standard
- Full Command
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Nets
- 2 Fanatics

29 Night Goblins (6 x 6 Block)
- Shaman
- Full Command
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Nets
- 2 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins (10 x 2 Block)
- Musician
- Short Bows
- 1 Fanatic

20 Night Goblins (10 x 2 Block)
- Musician
- Short Bows
- 1 Fanatic

Special:

Squig Herd (5 x 5 Block)
- 15 Squigs
- 10 Herders

Squig Herd (5 x 5 Block)
- 15 Squigs
- 10 Herders

10 Squig Hoppers

Spear Chukka

Spear Chukka

Rare:

Doomdiver

Doomdiver

Total Points: 1999

What do you think?

I know a lot of people don't think the short bows are any good, but I want to try them out to help protect my flanks. My question is, should I be running them in a 10 x 2 block or a 5 x 4 block? OR, am I better off dropping the bows all together and adding another unit of Night Goblins with Hand Weapons???

Thanks for looking and I look forward to your feedback!

Malorian
30-05-2008, 13:39
Looks pretty good to me.

pistolwhip
03-06-2008, 00:39
depending who your fighting i'd scrap the Doom Divers and go for trolls. other than that, it looks like most of my lists.

Time of Madness
03-06-2008, 00:50
Exact same list that I used over a year ago. Recently I revisted the list and took out the bsb for the 3rd shaman to boost my magic phase.

http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=41958&highlight=night

Time of Madness

TheRupert
03-06-2008, 23:56
Time of Madness: Holy smokes - it is the exact same list! Great minds think alike I guess ;) How are you liking the additional Shaman?

Pistolwhip: I have a unit of 3 Stone Trolls that I can swap out with the Doom Divers if need be - they are on "stand by". Also have a couple of Pump Wagons to mix it up a bit. In the right situations, those things can be brutal!

Talonz
04-06-2008, 00:05
Im not a big fan of the doomdivers. I also think you are hammer lite (only 3 of them, and they are all T3 with no armour) so I think a giant and/or some trolls would be preferable. At least thats what I run in my goblin rare slots. Of course this is 2250.

Why no fast cav? So useful. You're already converting some models for the spearchukkas (or not, I guess) so a few units of fast cav isnt out of the question.

TheRupert
04-06-2008, 00:18
Yeah, I've definitely toyed with adding some fast cavalry - and also toyed with a giant at some point as well. I have a unit of 3 Stone Trolls. Is that enough, or should I make that unit larger?

As far as fast cav goes, which do you think is better? Wolf Riders or Spider Riders? Either way, I'd be converting them to Night Goblins...

When you say I'm "hammer lite" I'm not really sure what you mean? What are you referring to?

Talonz
04-06-2008, 00:34
Hammers are units that win combat through killing things. Giants, trolls, black orcs, and the like. You have 3 anvil units to pair them with in the 3 big blocks of infantry (as they bring static CR5 to the fight, and wont lose this for some time). I went with 4 hammer and anvil pairs in my NG horde, although that was 2250.

I would go with spider riders myself, but thats a fluff choice really (underground, spiders or wolves? spiders, especially with night goblin riders). But I also find their terrain advantage tactically interesting. Alot of players will point to the wolves first because on the average, they will have more movement in more games due to needing appropriate terrain for the spiders. But what this ignores is the effect of lurking around the corner of terrain that spiders has on your opponent. His movement is screwed if he wants to come and get you (assuming proper and careful placement) Wolves simply dont have this option.

3 stone trolls are great. Especially given the antiregen hate these days, the AS can prove to be crucial and the MR even better against magic missiles. I wish I had gone that route instead of 3 plain trolls sometimes, but the extra 60 points isn't easy to find.

Spellscape
05-06-2008, 14:12
Hi
Im using almost this list too - but in our tournaments Skarsnik not allowed. Can you tell non legendary alternative to it?

Time of Madness
06-06-2008, 01:05
The 3rd shaman is a much better buy then the bsb in my eyes. The shaman adds the horn of urgok and a little more fire power to the list.

With the horn/skarsnik and the large unit sizes I never really found panic to be that big of an issue.

The 3rd shaman is almost essential now adays with all the magic floating around (daemons/elves/vamps).
Time of Madness