PDA

View Full Version : balrog to bloodthirster

sprugly
30-05-2008, 11:18
hey guys, i've had the totally unorigional concept of turning a balrog into a bloodthirster. Not any bloodthirster but Scarbrand as it happens. But basically before i go off spending money i shouldn't i was wondering about the actual size of the beast, so i was hoping someone out there in internet land who has both models could take a pic of them for me side by side so a could have a look?
Pretty please?

thanks

sprugly

Gimp
30-05-2008, 11:20
I always thought it was illegal to use Lord of the Rings minatures as 40K or Fantasy minatures. I think it is due to Copy Right or Royalitys or something. I might be wrong.

Aflo
30-05-2008, 11:25
I always thought it was illegal to use Lord of the Rings minatures as 40K or Fantasy minatures. I think it is due to Copy Right or Royalitys or something. I might be wrong.

Yeh, the Warhammer cops will be on your ass with hammers and glue remover :p

It's not 'illegal' persay, but you might have some hassles using it in tournaments, depending on the ruleset of the organiser.

Fay_Redd
30-05-2008, 11:28
oooh, scary. ive recently been considering this idea also. not skarbrand just basic bloodthirster. um the balrog, is i think about the same height at the shoulder than the metal bloodthirster, so its a suficient size. i am going to convert it so its more upright, so its not just a balrog. i am also lopping off his tail, im basing it on the bloodthirster Anarkh'ad'nron, the bloodthirster in the short story "the warp unleashed" in the daemons codex. this means i only have to use the whip as the bloodthirster in the story is using his whip more than his axe. Also, just aslong as you dont take it to tourneys you should easily be able to use it no problem.

Templar Ben
30-05-2008, 11:30

I thought that was an urban myth started so people wouldn't use the much less expensive LotR models. I know that you must keep them separate from a bits perspective due to attribution for photographs. That is to say, in a photo of a Balrog they put a blurb about New Line and Tolken Ent.

There is no legality issues but there are rules in place regarding Golden Daemon entries and the like.

EVIL INC
30-05-2008, 11:32
I thought that was only in a 2 year period or something but after that time had passed it became legal to intermix the models. This had something to do with thier contract or something and that time is now long passed. I could be wrong.
I would personally have no problems with you doing it.

Fay_Redd
30-05-2008, 11:39
oh another thing on the old legal front, i have used LOTR wargs as flesh hounds before in a CSM army, no-one had problems with it. so it should be fine. this was ofcourse until the freeking beautiful dire wolves came out for vamps, my god they are so nice. ^^

Whitehorn
30-05-2008, 11:43
You can use LOTR models in Warhammer, but not vice versa - for tournaments.

However if you do, they cannot photograph or award you best painted for your army :(

Simply put, New Line/Tolkien like you buying LOTR models for fantasy/40k ($$$ for them), but they don't like loss of sales from using Warhammer figs in LOTR.

vampires are cool!
30-05-2008, 11:51
Your planning a Bloodthirster convert, ay? I'd love to see a work in progress. Mines a bit basic - He's just got an axe i nicked off a playmobile model and a shield from the same. The most i've really got done on him is a few Khorne symbols.